Joseph Meehan

Default My hot water heater warranty replacement experience (rant - long)

Ike wrote:
I had a 4-1/2 year old 50 gallon Bradford White gas hot water heater
spring a leak. I called B-W and their customer service rep said the
heater was still under the 6 year warranty.

Was that a full 6 year warranty or was it pro-rated?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Mike Fritz

Ike wrote:
I had a 4-1/2 year old 50 gallon Bradford White gas hot water heater
spring a leak. I called B-W and their customer service rep said the
heater was still under the 6 year warranty. However, because of a
federal law passed last year I would have to pay for the upgraded
model that has the sealed pilot light and burner. She would not say
how much the upgrade would cost and that I would have to get it
replaced by a licensed plumber and the price from them. She would not
tell me who to call for service and that I should call numbers in the
Yellow Pages to find someone who could handle a B-W warranty repair.

snip

Ah, don't you love the federal government. Here in Phoenix we used to
have a weekend talk show that talked about home repair. The host was Ken
Moon. He had a rant about this new regulation.

With the "older" design, if someone were to store gasoline next to the
water heater, the vapors would travel to the water heater and ignite.
Ken Moon said something like 8 or so people die a year from this.

He also stated that it's stupid to make a law that about doubles the
cost of the water heater, and requires the old water heaters to no
longer be manufactured. Is it really worth all that cost for 8 people a
year who do something like store gasoline next to the water heater?

Perhaps the market should make the choice? Perhaps you can have the
choice between the older and newer model? If you want to be more safe,
than buy the safer model. But if you are on a budget, and don't plan to
store gasoline next to the water heater, then save your money and buy
the cheaper water heater.

I think there are other ways to stop/reduce deaths per year that are far
cheaper and more effective!
--Mike
Joseph Meehan

Ike wrote:
On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 20:22:18 GMT "Joseph Meehan"
wrote :

Ike wrote:
I had a 4-1/2 year old 50 gallon Bradford White gas hot water heater
spring a leak. I called B-W and their customer service rep said the
heater was still under the 6 year warranty.

Was that a full 6 year warranty or was it pro-rated?

It was a full 6 year warranty.

Check with your Attorney General of your state. I don't think they can
do what they are doing.

The up-charge was said to be due to a
federal law passed in July '03 that required all gas water heaters to
have enclosed pilot light and burners. This is so someone who stores
an open can of gasoline next to their gas water heater cannot blow
themselves up if the water heater ignites the gasoline fumes.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

chuck yerkes

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Ike wrote:

Was that a full 6 year warranty or was it pro-rated?

It was a full 6 year warranty.

Check with your Attorney General of your state. I don't think they can
do what they are doing.

Really! The AGs have a staff of people paid (by you) to help out in
this kind of thing.

Art

Double the course.... what a joke.
By the way the water heater is supposed to be elevated to give you a few
seconds before the whole basement blows up if you spill a flamable fluid by
mistake. The insurance savings alone will probably be more than the
manufacturing cost.

"Mike Fritz" wrote in message
k.net...
Ike wrote:
[...]

Oscar_Lives

"Ike" wrote in message
I had a 4-1/2 year old 50 gallon Bradford White gas hot water heater
spring a leak. I called B-W and their customer service rep said the
heater was still under the 6 year warranty. However, because of a
federal law passed last year I would have to pay for the upgraded
model that has the sealed pilot light and burner. She would not say
how much the upgrade would cost and that I would have to get it
replaced by a licensed plumber and the price from them. She would not
tell me who to call for service and that I should call numbers in the
Yellow Pages to find someone who could handle a B-W warranty repair.

So, I called several places. After four phone calls I found one who
would handle it. I asked for a quote over the phone and they said
there was no way to give a quote without seeing the water heater first
and it would cost me $13 for them to come out. They came out in 2-3
hours. The guy quoted me $209 "for everything" and I said to go ahead.
He left and then returned 10 minutes later. He profusely apologized
and said the $209 was for the replacement heater and that the entire
job would cost $496. I cancelled the service and still had to pay a
$13 'fuel charge.'

$209 for a heater that is covered under warranty? I felt like I was
getting bent over and the lube was soon to come. I called B-W back and
told them I felt like I was getting ripped and that I wanted to do the
job myself. They said I could and gave me three distributor's names to
call to see 'if they would work with a homeowner.'

The first one wanted $209 for the replacement heater plus a $35
warranty paperwork charge. I told the guy that before I paid $244 for
a heater under warranty I would buy a different brand even if it cost
more. I knew I could buy a Whirlpool with a 9 year warranty at Lowes
for $328.

The second distributor wanted 'about $140.' He was the distributor
that the plumber was going to get my replacement from because he
already had my serial number. It took two more tries at how much was
'about $140' before he would commit to the price.

The third distributor quoted 'about $120 to $130.' What's with the
'about' crap? Don't people know how much they sell stuff for? I bought
the replacement from #3 and it cost $127 plus change including tax.

Taking out the old heater and putting in the new one was a piece of
cake with the exception of the gate valve on the cold water line to
the heater. The stem broke inside the assembly which meant I could not
refill the tank. Rather than sweat the old valve off and put on a new
valve right away, I unscrewed the assembly, pulled out the broken gate
and screwed the assembly back on. The water main valve is right next
to the water heater so the temporary fix was easy. I'll pick up a new
valve this weekend and replace it is convenient to shut the water off
to the whole house.

It still irks me to have to pay for a water heater that was under
warranty. Any other time something like this has happened the
manufacturer says they are sorry for the inconvenience and here is the
upgraded model at no extra charge. Is this a common practice in the
plumbing business?

I have never heard of a heater that heats hot water. Maybe that is why you
had to pay too much? I would have just installed a "water heater" and saved
a bunch of money.

HvacTech2

Hi Brad, hope you are having a nice day

On 15-Aug-04 At About 07:22:05, Brad Bruce wrote to All

BB From: Brad Bruce

BB Oscar_Lives wrote:
I have never heard of a heater that heats hot water.

BB Many furnaces for baseboard heat also include a water heater...

If it is for baseboard it is a boiler. not a furnace.

-= HvacTech2 =-

... "Hermits have no peer pressure." - s.w.

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Joseph Meehan

chuck yerkes wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Ike wrote:

Was that a full 6 year warranty or was it pro-rated?

It was a full 6 year warranty.

Check with your Attorney General of your state. I don't think they

can
do what they are doing.

That did not come out very clear. "I don' think they (Bradford White)
can do what they are doing."

Really! The AGs have a staff of people paid (by you) to help out in
this kind of thing.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Brad Bruce

Oscar_Lives wrote:

I have never heard of a heater that heats hot water.

Many furnaces for baseboard heat also include a water heater...

Brad

Brad Bruce

BB Oscar_Lives wrote:
I have never heard of a heater that heats hot water.

BB Many furnaces for baseboard heat also include a water heater...

If it is for baseboard it is a boiler. not a furnace.

-= HvacTech2 =-

.. "Hermits have no peer pressure." - s.w.

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail

Clarification noted. Thank you.

Brad
Oscar_Lives

"Ike" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 04:14:14 GMT "Oscar_Lives"
wrote :

I have never heard of a heater that heats hot water.

Really Oscar? Does your water heater wait until the water is room
temperature and then kick in? Were do you live? Appalachia where water
heaters are wood fired? I have one of the newer gas models that keeps
the water at a temperature range I set.

But why would you want to heat hot water? Why not just use a plain ol'
water heater, instead of a hot water heater?

chuck yerkes

wrote :
I have never heard of a heater that heats hot water.

Really Oscar? Does your water heater wait until the water is room
temperature and then kick in? Were do you live? Appalachia where water
heaters are wood fired? I have one of the newer gas models that keeps
the water at a temperature range I set.

But why would you want to heat hot water? Why not just use a plain ol'
water heater, instead of a hot water heater?

Because us smart folks run the water up to a solar water heater
first. Depending, the water that hits the water heater can be
between 50 degrees (if the system's in heavy use - eg. 3 showers
taken, the washing machine and dishwasher running) or 120 degrees.

My PV installer was troubleshooting someone who had a tankless
that was failing. If he put a tarp over the solar water panels,
it was fine. They narrowed it down to when the incoming
water was over 140 degrees! (which is kinda close to too hot).

They solved it by putting a 20 gallon holding/circ tank in the
loop to replace the 10 gallon tank. (no gas on this tank, just a
place for the solar panel to dump in hot and draw out cold(er) from
the bottom.

It basically means that he pays a LITTLE for heating the water early
in the morning when the holding tank is down to 100 degrees or so.
Most of the heat is free.

It's not the answer you want, but you were just trolling.
Oscar_Lives

"Ike" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:46:04 GMT "Oscar_Lives"
wrote :

.. .
wrote :

I have never heard of a heater that heats hot water.

Really Oscar? Does your water heater wait until the water is room
temperature and then kick in? Were do you live? Appalachia where water
heaters are wood fired? I have one of the newer gas models that keeps
the water at a temperature range I set.

But why would you want to heat hot water? Why not just use a plain ol'
water heater, instead of a hot water heater?

Um, to *keep* it hot?

Don't you have something more productive to do in your retirement
years than post unhelpful messages? Is retirement that lonely that the
only joy left in life is to criticize the semantics of someone's post?

Those questions are rhetorical, Oscar. You don't need to respond nor
will it matter. And, in case you are still bored and want to learn
something new today, here is something for you to do. Here's a new
Internet acronym for you to look up: WTMKF

Hey Ike: Do you still like to suck cocks?