Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Unmarked fuses

These "fuses" appear to be unmarked. Any idea as to their current carrying
capacity?

https://www.familyhandyman.com/wp-co...or-fuses-2.jpg

LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/26/2020 1:17 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:

These "fuses" appear to be unmarked. Any idea as to their current carrying
capacity?

https://www.familyhandyman.com/wp-co...or-fuses-2.jpg

LOL

Generic brand. Once size fits all.

Looking at the box outside I wonder if the box is just being incorrectly
used as a junction box and wires go to a fuse or breaker in the panel.

Quick disconnect. Its a feature!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/26/20 3:00 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/26/2020 1:17 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:

These "fuses" appear to be unmarked. Any idea as to their current
carrying
capacity?

https://www.familyhandyman.com/wp-co...or-fuses-2.jpg

LOL

Generic brand.Â* Once size fits all.

Looking at the box outside I wonder if the box is just being incorrectly
used as a junction box and wires go to a fuse or breaker in the panel.

Quick disconnect.Â* Its a feature!

Would it not be safer if they used PVC pipe ? 🙄

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 15:00:21 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 6/26/2020 1:17 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:

These "fuses" appear to be unmarked. Any idea as to their current carrying
capacity?

https://www.familyhandyman.com/wp-co...or-fuses-2.jpg

LOL

Generic brand. Once size fits all.

Looking at the box outside I wonder if the box is just being incorrectly
used as a junction box and wires go to a fuse or breaker in the panel.

Quick disconnect. Its a feature!

If it is just a disconnect, that is perfectly legal, as long as there
is an OC device upstream. In fact they make "listed" pullouts that are
electrically identical. You might have one on your AC as we speak.
They also make "breakers" that are just switches for that same
purpose. (local disconnects). I have a bunch of them. You can tell
because there are no (amp rating) numbers on the handle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 15:40:35 -0400, wrote:

[...]

It was in a home inspector article so I assumed it was improper, but I
guess it depends on some additional factors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/26/2020 2:40 PM, wrote:
[...]

Electrically, agree.

Does it not violate the Code "workmanship" clause in that the pieces of
pipe won't be listed by box manufacturer as being valid parts?

I get the disconnect; I don't see why not just use the fuses, though.
What would it hurt -- unless it was tripping the properly-sized fuses
and this is a bypass.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 17:28:46 -0500, Jim Joyce
wrote:

[...]

Home inspectors? Ha,
The joke of the inspecting community.
Actually that picture has been around quite a while in different
venues.

Most HIs don't have a clue what the codes really are. I suppose they
are OK for spotting crooked door jambs and missing device covers but I
would not trust them on code issues
Just as a hoot I took the 25 question test to get a HACHI
certification and for $400, I could be a home inspector. The test was
a joke with at least one wrong answer given in reference to the NEC,
the answer given being at least 3 cycles behind at the time.

Things Home Inspectors thought were fine

http://gfretwell.com/electrical/Closet%20light.jpg

http://gfretwell.com/electrical/Fan%20Light.jpg

http://gfretwell.com/electrical/Wate...%20connect.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 18:23:13 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 6/26/2020 2:40 PM, wrote:
[...]

As I said in my note to Joyce, this picture has been bouncing around
for decades and it was pulled from a disconnect, not the branch
circuit overcurrent device. Certainly it is a 110.3(B) violation (not
a listed part for that fuse holder) but not a particular safety issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Oh. OK, I didn't see that part.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 12:17:10 -0500, Jim Joyce
wrote:

These "fuses" appear to be unmarked. Any idea as to their current carrying
capacity?

https://www.familyhandyman.com/wp-co...or-fuses-2.jpg

LOL

It appears to be an :unfused disconnect" for an air conditioner - the
actual fusing being done at the panel. Not an unheard of "bodge" - but
the ones I've seen are generally soldered or rivetted or bolted

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 15:00:21 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 6/26/2020 1:17 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:

These "fuses" appear to be unmarked. Any idea as to their current carrying
capacity?

https://www.familyhandyman.com/wp-co...or-fuses-2.jpg

LOL

Generic brand. Once size fits all.

Looking at the box outside I wonder if the box is just being incorrectly
used as a junction box and wires go to a fuse or breaker in the panel.

Quick disconnect. Its a feature!

A REQUIRED feature - at least up here.

https://www.psicontrolsolutions.com/...onnect-switch/

Generally something like
https://www.altestore.com/store/encl...-2-pole-p8729/
or more likely
https://www.se.com/ca/en/product/CQO...-a%2C-240-vac/
or
https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/catal...sconnects.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

The "bodge" shown would never pass inspection but it is perfectly
functional and reasonably safe - I've seen them before.
Posted to alt.home.repair

A few years back I worked in a factory that was serious about lockout tagout Zero Energy State stuff. That was fairly new 20 years ago, not everybody enforced it to the extent of firing employees for the first violation.

But what we found was that the standard disconnects where you pull a lever did not stand up to constant switching as we did machine adjustments. And they sometimes failed catastrophically, and we had a few injuries.

Using copper pipe like that makes me cringe a bit but it's possibly safer than pulling a lever.

Quick veer off topic: working on my shed this weekend I had to move an outlet to replace a stud. I pulled the disconnect lever on the main subpanel. Put a meter on the outlet, it's still live. Really? Lights are out, nothing works, but that outlet was hot. So I pulled the fuse block out, looks exactly like that piece in the OPs photo, now the circuit was dead. Just goes to show, always check.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2020 7:54 AM, TimR wrote:

Quick veer off topic: working on my shed this weekend I had to move
an outlet to replace a stud. I pulled the disconnect lever on the
main subpanel. Put a meter on the outlet, it's still live. Really?
Lights are out, nothing works, but that outlet was hot. So I pulled
the fuse block out, looks exactly like that piece in the OPs photo,
now the circuit was dead. Just goes to show, always check.

So IOW you have two feeds to or in this shed?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 29, 2020 at 6:23:24 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 6/29/2020 7:54 AM, TimR wrote:

Quick veer off topic: working on my shed this weekend I had to move
an outlet to replace a stud. I pulled the disconnect lever on the
main subpanel. Put a meter on the outlet, it's still live. Really?
Lights are out, nothing works, but that outlet was hot. So I pulled
the fuse block out, looks exactly like that piece in the OPs photo,
now the circuit was dead. Just goes to show, always check.

So IOW you have two feeds to or in this shed?

One feed, two panel boxes, at first glance it looks like the main one is just a fuse and the smaller one a disconnect, and apparently most of the circuits are that way, but at least one circuit bypasses the smaller panel. I didn't know that until this week.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2020 7:54 AM, TimR wrote:

Quick veer off topic: working on my shed this weekend I had to move
an outlet to replace a stud. I pulled the disconnect lever on the
main subpanel. Put a meter on the outlet, it's still live. Really?
Lights are out, nothing works, but that outlet was hot. So I pulled
the fuse block out, looks exactly like that piece in the OPs photo,
now the circuit was dead. Just goes to show, always check.

So IOW you have two feeds to or in this shed?

One feed, two panel boxes, at first glance it looks like the main one is just a fuse and the smaller one a disconnect, and apparently most of the circuits are that way, but at least one circuit bypasses the smaller panel. I didn't know that until this week.

It sounds like there might have just been that one branch circuit
running out there originally and they added the other panel, not
abandoning the original circuit or you have a split bus panel.
The latter is not unusual with panels that use those pull outs. Some
times they exploited the "6 disconnect" rule and you had to pull all 6
pull outs to kill the panel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2020 7:54 AM, TimR wrote:

[...]

That makes sense. At some point the shed received an addition that doubled its size, and the two boxes are totally different styles. There are two pullout fuse blocks in the box I'm calling the "main," but only one fuse block is in use, the other is upside down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2020 7:54 AM, TimR wrote:

[...]

Some day when you have some time you should map what controls what and
label everything.

building near unmarked boundaries Jim K[_3_] UK diy 17 February 5th 11 03:36 PM
who uses Grade 2/unmarked hardware? Nate Nagel Home Repair 13 January 3rd 07 02:21 AM
Can I Replace All My Fuses WIth Time Delay Fuses? [email protected] Home Repair 16 October 5th 06 02:55 AM
Hot Fuses.... A_H UK diy 15 December 28th 04 04:07 PM
5 Amp Fuses Stuart UK diy 26 January 15th 04 10:48 PM