Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

Default Adjustable height fixture for grow light

I would like to be able to adjust the height of this grow bulb as my plant gets larger.

I am moving it to a covered porch.

Can someone give me some ideas?

https://imgur.com/a/emWoe8A

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 12:05:40 -0700 (PDT), A K
wrote:

I would like to be able to adjust the height of this grow bulb as my plant gets larger.
I am moving it to a covered porch.
Can someone give me some ideas?
https://imgur.com/a/emWoe8A
Thanks.

Buy an old camera tripod and rig it up -
.. maybe 5 - 10 bucks at the thrift store.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I would like to be able to adjust the height of this grow bulb as my plant gets larger.

I am moving it to a covered porch.

Can someone give me some ideas?

https://imgur.com/a/emWoe8A

Thanks.

Chain and S hooks. Can be any kind of chain. That "swag" chain will
work.

Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

wrote:

I would like to be able to adjust the height of this grow bulb as my plant gets larger.

I am moving it to a covered porch.

Can someone give me some ideas?

https://imgur.com/a/emWoe8A

Thanks.

Chain and S hooks. Can be any kind of chain. That "swag" chain will
work.

So, would I need to trim the 2x4 attached to the light socket, mount an eye bolt
in the center of the wood, and then hang with the chain?

Thanks,
Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I would like to be able to adjust the height of this grow bulb as my plant gets larger.
I am moving it to a covered porch.
Can someone give me some ideas?
https://imgur.com/a/emWoe8A
Thanks.

Chain and S hooks. Can be any kind of chain. That "swag" chain will
work.

So, would I need to trim the 2x4 attached to the light socket, mount an eye bolt
in the center of the wood, and then hang with the chain?
Andy

.. how long have you had these feelings ...
for that scrap of 2 x 4 ... hmmm ?
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I would like to be able to adjust the height of this grow bulb as my plant gets larger.

I am moving it to a covered porch.

Can someone give me some ideas?

https://imgur.com/a/emWoe8A

Thanks.

Chain and S hooks. Can be any kind of chain. That "swag" chain will
work.

So, would I need to trim the 2x4 attached to the light socket, mount an eye bolt
in the center of the wood, and then hang with the chain?

Thanks,
Andy

Better would be to buy a round PVC box, put the keyless fixture you
have on the box and attach the chain to the box. Then you are a little
closer to being safe/legal. Better yet would be a molded pendant light
socket and just adjust the length of the cord.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/23/2020 12:05 PM, A K wrote:

I would like to be able to adjust the height of this grow bulb as my plant gets larger.

I am moving it to a covered porch.

Can someone give me some ideas?

https://imgur.com/a/emWoe8A

Thanks.

Put the bulb in a long armed desk lamp.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I would like to be able to adjust the height of this grow bulb as my plant gets larger.

I am moving it to a covered porch.

Can someone give me some ideas?

https://imgur.com/a/emWoe8A

Thanks.

Chain and S hooks. Can be any kind of chain. That "swag" chain will
work.

So, would I need to trim the 2x4 attached to the light socket, mount an eye bolt
in the center of the wood, and then hang with the chain?

Thanks,
Andy

Something like this

https://www.amazon.com/JAKCYLED-Lantern-Pendant-Light-2-Pack/dp/B01IOK2SHU/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=pendant+light+socket& qid=1592956772&sr=8-8
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I would like to be able to adjust the height of this grow bulb as my plant gets larger.

I am moving it to a covered porch.

Can someone give me some ideas?

https://imgur.com/a/emWoe8A

Thanks.

Chain and S hooks. Can be any kind of chain. That "swag" chain will
work.

So, would I need to trim the 2x4 attached to the light socket, mount an eye bolt
in the center of the wood, and then hang with the chain?

Thanks,
Andy

Something like this

https://www.amazon.com/JAKCYLED-Lantern-Pendant-Light-2-Pack/dp/B01IOK2SHU/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=pendant+light+socket& qid=1592956772&sr=8-8

But where does the scrap of 2 x 4 go ?
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/23/2020 04:14 PM, A K wrote:
So, would I need to trim the 2x4 attached to the light socket, mount an eye bolt
in the center of the wood, and then hang with the chain?

Mount the porcelain base on a 4x4 box. There will be a knockout in the
back you can hook into.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 23, 2020 at 3:05:46 PM UTC-4, A K wrote:
I would like to be able to adjust the height of this grow bulb as my plant gets larger.

I am moving it to a covered porch.

Can someone give me some ideas?

https://imgur.com/a/emWoe8A

Thanks.

Yikes! That's ............ well you shouldn't have that where someone will see.

But for plants, either you move the light or you move the plant. I've done it both ways.

Stack of concrete blocks on each end, board across the top, plants on the floor, chain from an eye bolt in the board, lamp on an S hook. As the plant grows move the S hook to higher links. Eventually you insert more concrete blocks if it really grows. I had quite a garden in a dark apartment in Wisconsin this way. I hung 4 foot fluorescent tubes from the board because i got the fixture free where somebody had thrown it out.

Or, put your plant on a stack of blocks, remove them as it grows.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 17:33:35 -0400, posted
for all of us to digest...

wrote:

I would like to be able to adjust the height of this grow bulb as my plant gets larger.

I am moving it to a covered porch.

Can someone give me some ideas?

https://imgur.com/a/emWoe8A

Thanks.

Chain and S hooks. Can be any kind of chain. That "swag" chain will
work.

That's what I would suggest

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I would like to be able to adjust the height of this grow bulb as my plant gets larger.

I am moving it to a covered porch.

Can someone give me some ideas?

https://imgur.com/a/emWoe8A

Thanks.

Chain and S hooks. Can be any kind of chain. That "swag" chain will
work.

So, would I need to trim the 2x4 attached to the light socket, mount an eye bolt
in the center of the wood, and then hang with the chain?

Thanks,
Andy

It worked for me when I used a fluorescent shop light as a grow light.
Would work if you set it up like that in the beginning. Now you have to
lower the plant as it grows. I have an old lab jack that would be good
for about a foot of growth.