Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can Tide pods damage a washing machine drain pump?

I have had an LG washer/dryer for four years. I use liquids.

Yesterday for the first time I threw a tide pod INTO the machine. The process/cycle failed, for the first time, somewhere along the cycle. And a loud grinding has started to come from the drain pump, which SEEMS to have stopped working. I now drain by opening the pipe in the filter compartment by the pump.

Not much was in the filter, but I can feel the pump 'blades' which dont turn freely as if nothing is stopping them because the pump were broken. They exhibit the pressure between quadrants as they should. When I try to run spin to get rid of the filthy water in the machine, there is a lot of grinding and eventually an OE error, telling me 'no drain'.

So I had to drain with the pipe, after which I ran a dry cycle to get what was still in the machine dry overnight. BUT this morning, the unit was full of water!!

I tried to repeat the process and all water-involved steps were associated with loud grindings and lots of soap foam!!! Are bits of that pod still stuck in there somewhere? And still, the only draining is done when the pipe is open.

So I need a new drain pump. I actually started to make enquiries.

But wait!! During the drain process, while I was spinning to get rid of the water through the pipe, gradually the loud grinding stopped and the water stopped flowing through the pipe! As if the pump gradually unclogged itself and started working again and draining rather than send water through that narrow pipe?

Does any of this sound like a normal draining problem or is it a problem with undissolved plastic from the pod please?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 11:26:48 AM UTC-4, Amanda Ripanykhazova wrote:
[...]

IDK, no experience with any of that. But I would not assume you need a new
pump. I would continue to fill it with hot water, then pump it out. If it's
the pod, then running hot water through it should dissolve and clear it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 08:26:42 -0700 (PDT), Amanda Ripanykhazova
wrote:

[...]

You do not say if it is a front-load or top-load washer.
Carefully examine the filter compartment with a flashlight and
feeling around with your finger - looking for foreign objects
or damage. or damage to the filter itself
Make sure the drain hose hasn't been pinched or kinked. clogged ?
Run a "Clean Cycle" with no soaps nor clothes - see if
the pump is working - if it fails you don't have the wet clothes
and dirty water to deal with.
On the old fashioned top-loaders, with the lower front cover -
the pump was an easy R & R. These new 300 pound
front-loaders - with no removable access panels - not so sure ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks guys, it is a front loader and I have seen the replacement procedure which looks easy enough to follow but it does involve taking the whole front of the unit apart in a huge load of steps!

One more symptom has appeared. The drum stopped turning 20 minutes into the dry cycle and soon after, the buzzing started from the drain pump again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 09:11:50 -0700 (PDT), Amanda Ripanykhazova
wrote:

Thanks guys, it is a front loader and I have seen the
replacement procedure which looks easy enough to follow
but it does involve taking the whole front of the unit apart
in a huge load of steps!
One more symptom has appeared. The drum stopped turning

20 minutes into the dry cycle and soon after,
the buzzing started from the drain pump again.

If you're going to fix it yourself -
check - price & availability - of the replacement pump
before you start - but don't purchase the pump
unless they offer full refund with no re-stocking fee
.... in case it's just an obstruction and the pump is OK.
I worked on an older Frigidaire front-loader years ago
- the thing I remember as the biggest frustration
was re-installing the large rubber seal between the
tub and the door .. it was a brute of a task that
required 3 or 4 hands with no room for 2 ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/11/2020 12:11 PM, Amanda Ripanykhazova wrote:
Thanks guys, it is a front loader and I have seen the replacement procedure which looks easy enough to follow but it does involve taking the whole front of the unit apart in a huge load of steps!

One more symptom has appeared. The drum stopped turning 20 minutes into the dry cycle and soon after, the buzzing started from the drain pump again.

I really doubt that from the millions of pods your machine is the only
one that cannot use them. What would cause the drum to stop?

There are some web sites that may help you figure it out. try
www.repairclinic.com or similar
Posted to alt.home.repair

You just hit the nails right on the thumb! Ny 2 greatest worries are that I do the massive amount of work and it turns out to be a blockage. Second is that damn ring, which I am trying to convince myself shouldn't be too difficult with a spring half way around it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You are probably right,it probably IS just a massive coincidence
Posted to alt.home.repair

There are some web sites that may help you figure it out. try
www.repairclinic.com or similar

DOn't I know it! That was the site which showed me the effects of LG accidentally omitting to put a lint filter in this machine! 5 hours of work every 2-3 years cleaning lint out of every single internal crevice!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 11:06:24 -0700 (PDT), Amanda Ripanykhazova
wrote:

You just hit the nails right on the thumb!
My 2 greatest worries are that I do the massive amount of work
and it turns out to be a blockage. Second is that damn ring,
which I am trying to convince myself shouldn't be too difficult
with a spring half way around it.

Perhaps your LG is different or there could be a
" trick-of-the-trade " that you might find from
a web search - for your machine.
I didn't have any such resource when I woked on the Frigidaire.
Good luck.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/11/2020 2:05 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/11/2020 12:11 PM, Amanda Ripanykhazova wrote:
Thanks guys, it is a front loader and I have seen the replacement
procedure which looks easy enough to follow but it does involve taking
the whole front of the unit apart in a huge load of steps!

One more symptom has appeared. The drum stopped turning 20 minutes
into the dry cycle and soon after, the buzzing started from the drain
pump again.

I really doubt that from the millions of pods your machine is the only
one that cannot use them.Â* What would cause the drum to stop?

There are some web sites that may help you figure it out.Â* try
www.repairclinic.com or similar

I googled it and did see that people have had problems with pods:

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx1BJFVQO2O0TIJ

We have been using liquid for years on advice of the septic tank cleaner
who showed us waxy deposits building up on top of the tank.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 11:15:18 -0700 (PDT), Amanda Ripanykhazova
wrote:

There are some web sites that may help you figure it out. try
www.repairclinic.com or similar

DOn't I know it! That was the site which showed me the effects
of LG accidentally omitting to put a lint filter in this machine!
5 hours of work every 2-3 years cleaning lint out of every
single internal crevice!

My LG front loader has a lint filter that never captures
any lint at all. But the lint filter/drain hose area -
provides a nice sump for about 2 cups of water to sit -
.... and turn stagnant and stinky ! Ugghh !
I need to drain this area after every load - PITA !
My old Frigidaire had no such "feature" and did not
suffer any odour problems at all - we just needed to keep
the door open when not in use.
The electronic controls for the various wash cycles in this LG
are also a frustrating PITA ... It typically takes a full hour for
a normal wash load sometimes even more ! and it fills so
slowly - I've timed it - 12 minutes into the wash cycle before
the load is completely WET ! geeze.
The only good things that can say about this washer are :
- great high speed spin - saves drying time
- good load-balancing - ~ never goes badly unbalanced.
John T.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I really doubt that from the millions of pods your machine is the only
one that cannot use them.* What would cause the drum to stop?

There are some web sites that may help you figure it out.* try
www.repairclinic.com or similar

I googled it and did see that people have had problems with pods:

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx1BJFVQO2O0TIJ

We have been using liquid for years on advice of the septic tank cleaner
who showed us waxy deposits building up on top of the tank.

HE liquid detergent. 2 or 3 repair guys told me that the drum
bearing failure on my old Frigidaire was probably due to using
non-HE detergent.
http://www.appliancesos.com/tips.html
I was lucky to get a free drum under the 10 year warranty
and do the repair myself - otherwise it would have meant
a new washer. The failure occurred at 6 - 7 years and the
washer lasted another 6 years or so after the repair.
This was with family of 5 usage.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 11 Jun 2020 08:26:42 -0700 (PDT), Amanda
Ripanykhazova wrote:

I have had an LG washer/dryer for four years. I use liquids.

Does any of this sound like a normal draining problem or is it a problem wi=
th undissolved plastic from the pod please?

There are many kinds of plastic, none of which afaik dissolve in water.

So the pods ae not covered in plastic but something else

It might be possible for a pod to dissolve more slowlyl than usual, but
it's supposed to dissolve by the start of the wash cycle, long before
the drain cycle. So I don't think it's the pod.

It's a clear case of Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

It might be a screw in a pocket that made it through the little holes in
the drum. Even if a blade is partly broken off from the pump impeller,
it might still work fine once it's unjammed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 11 Jun 2020 11:15:18 -0700 (PDT), Amanda
Ripanykhazova wrote:

There are some web sites that may help you figure it out. try
www.repairclinic.com or similar

DOn't I know it! That was the site which showed me the effects of LG accidentally omitting to put a lint filter in this machine! 5 hours of work every 2-3 years cleaning lint out of every single internal crevice!

They built an expressway interchange, maybe in N. or S. Carolina, and
left out several of the ramps. No way to go from one highway to the
other without drivign over the grass, which is what people did.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 23:42:37 -0400, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 11 Jun 2020 14:35:34 -0400,
wrote:

[...]

Gravel in the input filter screens?

It's been like this since new - had the repair guys check it out
after the first few weeks - the hoses were new ; the machine was
level ; they checked my water supply for adequate flow; pretended to
fiddle with something inside on the water supply -
said so long .. I had the distinct impression that they knew
what-was-what but couldn't say the truth or they would be getting
the machine back ..
My old Frigidaire and the laundry-mat front loaders would behave
much more "normally" ... fill with water until the load is wet -
- it would take 2 minutes - complete wash-spin-rinse-spin second
rinse-spin cycle takes ~ 30 minutes + / - 5 minutes.
.... no useless lint filter ; no stink-sump ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

A very depressing story. To pay money to get worse stuff.

One consolation, it IS an autommatic washer, so just do something else
until it finishes. At least you don't have to go down to the river and
wash your clothes on the rocks. (I saw women doing that once.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 11 Jun 2020 11:06:24 -0700 (PDT), Amanda
Ripanykhazova wrote:

You just hit the nails right on the thumb! Ny 2 greatest worries are that I do the massive amount of work and it turns out to be a blockage. Second is that damn ring, which I am trying to convince myself shouldn't be too difficult with a spring half way around it.

I once found a 10 anp battery charger for cars on the sidewalk in an
industrial n'hood of Queens.

The diodes were no good. I looked all over NYC (well, in the Yellow
Pages, and I guess I only had that for Brooklyn, I did have Lafayette
and that other big catalog) for selenium rectifiers like were in it, but
didn't find them.

Then I forgot about it and a couple years later tried it again and it
worked fine.

IOW, don't start to repair it before you try it again. It might be
working fine for no apparent reason.

Maybe there is a cover on the bottom of the pump that can be rmoved so
screws and other obstructions will fall out?

Is there more than one pump?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/11/2020 2:47 PM, wrote:

[...]

First I had heard about high-efficiency washers and detergents designed
for them. Not sure if our machine requires them. I do a lot of the
wash using regular liquid detergents but only use about a half cap full
for a full load and we have not had any problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

There are many kinds of plastic, none of which afaik dissolve in water.

So the pods ae not covered in plastic but something else

It might be possible for a pod to dissolve more slowlyl than usual, but
it's supposed to dissolve by the start of the wash cycle, long before
the drain cycle. So I don't think it's the pod.

It's a clear case of Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

It might be a screw in a pocket that made it through the little holes in
the drum. Even if a blade is partly broken off from the pump impeller,
it might still work fine once it's unjammed.

Now it is my turn to apologise for using the emotive term PLASTIC to describe the material which is designed to melt at specific times during the wssh process. A bit like the vegetarians who use the word blood when describing any moisture in a steak which keeps it from being too dry for normal people to eat!

I have already admitted the coincidence of my first use of a pod coinciding with the pump 'going out'.

Yes, it might well be something falling into the wash which is jamming something in there. And I did say that I can feel the impeller moving properly from quadrant to quadrant, though I don't now think this must mean everything IS ok with the drain pump. It is probably some blockage which hasn't made it through to the filter area yet?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Then I forgot about it and a couple years later tried it again and it
worked fine.

IOW, don't start to repair it before you try it again. It might be
working fine for no apparent reason.

That occurred to mw when the grinding/buzzing stopped and the machine started SEEMING to work again.

But I took all clothes out and tried to run a cycle and it gave an OE not draining error as soon as any drain cycle started. I think the grinding must mean something and not just that there is a blockage between the drain pump and the drain?
Posted to alt.home.repair

A very depressing story. To pay money to get worse stuff.

Actually it is not as depressing as paying money and spending huge amounts of time on a machine which I KNOW is so badly designed by LG that they actually forgot to include a lint filter. So whatever I pay/do, this machine will need rebuilding within 1-2 years because LG will not accept responsibility for their catastrophic design!
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 12 Jun 2020 07:13:49 -0700 (PDT), Amanda
Ripanykhazova wrote:

There are many kinds of plastic, none of which afaik dissolve in water.

So the pods ae not covered in plastic but something else

It might be possible for a pod to dissolve more slowlyl than usual, but
it's supposed to dissolve by the start of the wash cycle, long before
the drain cycle. So I don't think it's the pod.

It's a clear case of Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

It might be a screw in a pocket that made it through the little holes in
the drum. Even if a blade is partly broken off from the pump impeller,
it might still work fine once it's unjammed.

Now it is my turn to apologise for using the emotive term PLASTIC to describe the material which is designed to melt at specific times during the wssh process. A bit like the vegetarians who use the word blood when describing any moisture in a steak which keeps it from being too dry for normal people to eat!

When I was little, I assumed it was blood.

I only found out it's not when I was 65 years old

I have already admitted the coincidence of my first use of a pod coinciding with the pump 'going out'.

Yes, I hadn't read that.

Yes, it might well be something falling into the wash which is jamming something in there. And I did say that I can feel the impeller moving properly from quadrant to quadrant, though I don't now think this must mean everything IS ok with the drain pump. It is probably some blockage which hasn't made it through to the filter area yet?

When my dishwasher wouldn't drain, it's parts were a lot more accessible
than your washer. I took various things apart and ran it though part of
its cycle so often (10 times?) the same water got so hot it melted some
plastic item.

I finally tracked it doown to the thing that sticks up next to the sink
faucet, the anti-siphon thing. The silver cap comes off and a
cream-colored plastic cap unscrews and inside was a chicken bone, the
small one next to the drumstick. That was keeping the dishwasher from
draining. Not sure how this applies to you, however.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Jun 2020 07:53:46 -0400, micky
wrote:

I once found a 10 anp battery charger for cars on the sidewalk in an
industrial n'hood of Queens.

The diodes were no good. I looked all over NYC (well, in the Yellow
Pages, and I guess I only had that for Brooklyn, I did have Lafayette
and that other big catalog) for selenium rectifiers like were in it, but
didn't find them.

Why would anyone screw with a selenium rectifier after the invention
of the silicon diode?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Actually it is not as depressing as paying money and spending huge amounts of time on a machine which I KNOW is so badly designed by LG that they actually forgot to include a lint filter. So whatever I pay/do, this machine will need rebuilding within 1-2 years because LG will not accept responsibility for their catastrophic design!

And on the depressing scale, how about LG withdrawing their technical support rather than accept responsibility for their design gaffe?

Now, they certainly have tech support numbers to call. And there are people with suspicious sounding foreign accents who come to the phone fairly quickly as well. The trouble is, those telephonists have no technical knowledge whatsoever.

They seem to be sitting in a cubicle in front of a piece of paper with two sentences of instructions FIRSTLY pretend to listen to the customer and say "yes" every so often. It doesn't matter when. SECONDLY tell the customer that he or she needs to call out a service technician to fix whatever the customer is asking about.

I once cross-checked by trying to ask where the on/off switch was: The answer dutifully came back after the 'pretending to "double-check" with a supervisor' stage that I needed a service technician to fix what was wrong and am I anywhere near Juneau or is Alaska anywhere near the NY Tristate area?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/12/2020 8:23 AM, Frank wrote:
On 6/11/2020 2:47 PM, wrote:

I really doubt that from the millions of pods your machine is the only
one that cannot use them.Â* What would cause the drum to stop?

There are some web sites that may help you figure it out.Â* try
www.repairclinic.com or similar

I googled it and did see that people have had problems with pods:

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx1BJFVQO2O0TIJ

We have been using liquid for years on advice of the septic tank cleaner
who showed us waxy deposits building up on top of the tank.

Â*Â* HEÂ* liquid detergent.Â*Â* 2 or 3 repair guys told me that the drum
bearing failure on my old Frigidaire was probably due to using
Â* non-HEÂ* detergent.
http://www.appliancesos.com/tips.html
Â* I was lucky to get a free drum under theÂ* 10 year warranty
and do the repair myselfÂ* -Â* otherwise it would have meant
a new washer.Â* The failure occurred atÂ* 6 - 7 yearsÂ* and the
washer lasted anotherÂ* 6 years or so after the repair.
This was with family of 5 usage.
Â*Â*Â* John T.

First I had heard about high-efficiency washers and detergents designed
for them.Â* Not sure if our machine requires them.Â* I do a lot of the
wash using regular liquid detergents but only use about a half cap full
for a full load and we have not had any problems.

Most liquids are now HE anyway and OK to use, needed or not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 12 Jun 2020 08:14:01 -0700 (PDT), Amanda
Ripanykhazova wrote:

Actually it is not as depressing as

I don't look at it as a competition. At least since I'm not one of the
contenders.

paying money and spending huge amounts of time on a machine which I KNOW is so badly designed by LG that they actually forgot to include a lint filter. So whatever I pay/do, this machine will need rebuilding within 1-2 years because LG will not accept responsibility for their catastrophic design!

And on the depressing scale, how about LG withdrawing their technical support rather than accept responsibility for their design gaffe?

Now, they certainly have tech support numbers to call. And there are people with suspicious sounding foreign accents who come to the phone fairly quickly as well. The trouble is, those telephonists have no technical knowledge whatsoever.

I wonder if you know about the Whirlpool Cool Line. In the 70's and for
how long after that I don't know, they answered the phone pretty
quickly, and they had actual appliance repairmen to tell you how to fix
your machine. One of them spent an hour with me over 2 calls, and
*she*, a she, gave me instructions up to and including how to remove the
basket (top loader) and replace the main bearing (when it wouldn't spin,
or agitate either maybe. I didin't use it often enough and it rusted
shut) She never said, Well you'll have to call a repairman. I dealt
with someone else too on another occasion. Similar treatment. It
ended up I couldn't get the basket off becausae the bearing was rusted
both to the basket and the center post, and to itself. But the machine
was 20 years old or more when I got it. I found it on the street and
used it for 5 years.

(When I got it, it had gravel in the intake screens, so it filled
verrrry slowly; the lid switch was broken so it did nothing, and the top
inch high cover needed painting. I used E-pox-ee Appliance White and it
came out beautful and matched the bottom.

A month after I threw this one away, I found a better one, one that was
full-zise but on wheels with a lever in the back to lower and raise the
wheels. Meant to be kept wherever conventient and then rolled up to the
kitchen sink in an apartment. (I had a double sink, shallow on the left
and deep as a laundry sink on the right, even though the building was
built in 1930, before, I think, people had home washing machines.**
Also Whirlpool. The clear plastic step indicator behind the knob was
scrraped so some of the printed stuff was missing, and it was broken in
half iirc. I must have been able to buy a new one. There might have
been something else wrong, or maybe not. I used that for 6 years and
gave it away when I moved out of Brooklyn. I gave it to someone who
lived 6 short blocks away, and since it was too big to put in my car, I
rolled it on those wheels to her place.

**In fact my building originally had a guy in the basement to do the
laundry for the 49 apartments (Although 10 of the 49 were built with
maid's rooms. Aha, that's who the deep sink was for. The maid, to do
the laundry, without a machine. And in the other apartments, the tenants
I think if they didn't want to pay the guy in the basement or they only
had a little.

I don't think they had tumble dryers in 1930, but what they had in the
basement were drawers, mounted sideways (6 feet tall but 8" wide
horizontally) with a rod to hang sheets at the top, and a gas flame at
the bottom to dry the sheets. Never figured out how other clothes were
to be dried.

But I just hung my laundry on my shower bar and polyester dries in 8
hours, cotton in 2 days.

They seem to be sitting in a cubicle in front of a piece of paper with two sentences of instructions FIRSTLY pretend to listen to the customer and say "yes" every so often.

I have to remember that if I ever get married.

It doesn't matter when. SECONDLY tell the customer that he or she needs to call out a service technician to fix whatever the customer is asking about.

I don't think I want to tell my wife that.

I once cross-checked by trying to ask where the on/off switch was: The answer dutifully came back after the 'pretending to "double-check" with a supervisor' stage that I needed a service technician to fix what was wrong and am I anywhere near Juneau or is Alaska anywhere near the NY Tristate area?

LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't think they had tumble dryers in 1930, but what they had in the
basement were drawers, mounted sideways (6 feet tall but 8" wide
horizontally) with a rod to hang sheets at the top, and a gas flame at
the bottom to dry the sheets. Never figured out how other clothes were
to be dried.

I absolutely LOVED those gas dryers!! Had them when I first moved to a 1928 building next to PanHellenic Hotel in New York. Made it incredibly easy to fold sheets as well, just by doubling over twice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 12 Jun 2020 13:00:34 -0700 (PDT), Amanda
Ripanykhazova wrote:

I don't think they had tumble dryers in 1930, but what they had in the
basement were drawers, mounted sideways (6 feet tall but 8" wide
horizontally) with a rod to hang sheets at the top, and a gas flame at
the bottom to dry the sheets. Never figured out how other clothes were
to be dried.

I absolutely LOVED those gas dryers!! Had them when I first moved to a 1928 building next to PanHellenic Hotel in New York. Made it incredibly easy to fold sheets as well, just by doubling over twice.

Wow, you're the first person I've met who used them. (There were old
ladies in my building, but I think they had maids who sent the laundry
to the basement (put it on the dumbwaiter.) Or if they did it
themselves, they just put it in the dumbwaiter.

So were you able to dry clothes, or only sheets? You'd put a shirt or
pants over that bar at the top? Or were there some sort of hangers to
keep the shirts in the shape of a shirt?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ripanykhazova wrote:

I don't think they had tumble dryers in 1930, but what they had in the
basement were drawers, mounted sideways (6 feet tall but 8" wide
horizontally) with a rod to hang sheets at the top, and a gas flame at
the bottom to dry the sheets. Never figured out how other clothes were
to be dried.

I absolutely LOVED those gas dryers!! Had them when I first moved to a 1928 building next to PanHellenic Hotel in New York. Made it incredibly easy to fold sheets as well, just by doubling over twice.

Wow, you're the first person I've met who used them. (There were old
ladies in my building, but I think they had maids who sent the laundry
to the basement (put it on the dumbwaiter.) Or if they did it
themselves, they just put it in the dumbwaiter.

My grandparent's apartment building in Manhattan, built
something like 1915, had these as well.

They were still in use 1960ish for large items and by people
who didn't want to use the rotary dryers.

And eyup, you grabbed the handle and slid the whole drawer
out, placed your sheets on the rods, then slid everything
back into place.

*whew*, the memories...

I'm not sure whether they had gas flames underneath or were
heated by the steam pipes from the boiler. I'm tempted
to believe the latter 'cuz gas supplies were _dangerous_,
particularly before the Big Switchover from manufactured
(or the similar town) gas to natural gas 1950's/60's.

Posted to alt.home.repair

OH NO, - these were the real thing from the 1920s! It was a real thrill to light them!

You opened a wrought iron gate underneath, which exposed the burners. They looked like an oven grill, - but sorts upside down. You turned on two heavy 1920s-style shut-off/on levers, and then you lit a match and THREW it into that lower compartment and (in the words of the firework manufacturers) retired quickly while you waited for the explosion!

It was very easy to pretend that they were dangerous but they weren't really.

There wasn't really enough room in them for a hanger on which to put a shirt? The long "drawer" wouldn't have closed. You COULD put socks over the lengthy bars but I cant remember there being any reason why you would want to?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In Amanda Ripanykhazova writes:

OH NO, - these were the real thing from the 1920s! It was a real thrill to=
light them!=20

You opened a wrought iron gate underneath, which exposed the burners. They =
looked like an oven grill, - but sorts upside down. You turned on two heavy=
1920s-style shut-off/on levers, and then you lit a match and THREW it into=
that lower compartment and (in the words of the firework manufacturers) re=
tired quickly while you waited for the explosion!

It was very easy to pretend that they were dangerous but they weren't reall=
y.

Might have been... Like I said, I leaned to thinking
that the ones in my grandparents' apartment basement
were using steam pipes but,

a: I could be wrong
b: they might have been retrofitted...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 12:02:16 -0400, posted
for all of us to digest...

wrote:

[...]

If you tell us the make and model of the washer we can help you
better. Panels are removable for service. There are repair
sites and U tube videos that perhaps we can direct you to.

--
Tekkie

guns & Tide pods dvus Home Repair 19 February 25th 18 11:03 PM
guns & Tide pods dvus Home Repair 4 February 22nd 18 03:16 PM
guns & Tide pods dvus Home Repair 2 February 22nd 18 10:42 AM
Washing machine drain pump D.M. Procida UK diy 20 December 27th 10 07:46 PM
convert sink drain to washing machine drain? shawn Home Repair 2 May 28th 06 10:40 PM