Posted to alt.home.repair
Amanda Ripanykhazova Amanda Ripanykhazova is offline

Default Can Tide pods damage a washing machine drain pump?

I have had an LG washer/dryer for four years. I use liquids.

Yesterday for the first time I threw a tide pod INTO the machine. The process/cycle failed, for the first time, somewhere along the cycle. And a loud grinding has started to come from the drain pump, which SEEMS to have stopped working. I now drain by opening the pipe in the filter compartment by the pump.

Not much was in the filter, but I can feel the pump 'blades' which dont turn freely as if nothing is stopping them because the pump were broken. They exhibit the pressure between quadrants as they should. When I try to run spin to get rid of the filthy water in the machine, there is a lot of grinding and eventually an OE error, telling me 'no drain'.

So I had to drain with the pipe, after which I ran a dry cycle to get what was still in the machine dry overnight. BUT this morning, the unit was full of water!!

I tried to repeat the process and all water-involved steps were associated with loud grindings and lots of soap foam!!! Are bits of that pod still stuck in there somewhere? And still, the only draining is done when the pipe is open.

So I need a new drain pump. I actually started to make enquiries.

But wait!! During the drain process, while I was spinning to get rid of the water through the pipe, gradually the loud grinding stopped and the water stopped flowing through the pipe! As if the pump gradually unclogged itself and started working again and draining rather than send water through that narrow pipe?

Does any of this sound like a normal draining problem or is it a problem with undissolved plastic from the pod please?