Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mower Doesn't Catch Grass

On Saturday, April 14, 2001 at 10:00:27 AM UTC-4, Buck Turgidson wrote:
I have a Sears Lawnmower, about a year old. It doesn't bag the grass worth a darn.
I'll cut the whole lawn, and the bag won't even be 1/4 full. I don't claim to be a
genius, but I can only see one way to put the bag on, so let's assume I've done
that correctly.

It is a mulching lawnmower, with the curved blade. Would buying a flat blade help?
I am guessing that the motor is so powerful (6.75 hp, not self-propelled), that it
is mulching and pulverizing before it can bag it.

Appreciate any responese.

The current bagging system on MTD-made lawn mowers (Toro, Craftsman, Cub Cadet, Murray, Lawn Boy, etc..) simply does not bag grass. It does a great job of spewing grass under the bag and at the top connection point, everywhere but the bag. Trust me, in 3 days I bought a Toro, Cub Cadet, and a Craftsman just to prove the point to myself. They all are designed exactly the same at the bagging site. I settled on the cheaper Craftsman and will start looking for a "man hack" to fix the flawed design issue. Why did my 30-year oldnJohn Deere die on me??
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 06 May 2020 18:56:29 -0500, Jim Joyce
wrote:

On Wed, 6 May 2020 13:56:16 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Saturday, April 14, 2001 at 10:00:27 AM UTC-4, Buck Turgidson wrote:
I have a Sears Lawnmower, about a year old. It doesn't bag the grass worth a darn.
I'll cut the whole lawn, and the bag won't even be 1/4 full. I don't claim to be a

It's a feature, so you don't have to stop work over and over to empty
the bag.

[...]

From the Minnesota Tribune.... "John Deere did not wear a mask, wear
gloves, or wash his hands, and he later succombed to the coronavirus.

Why are you still bagging grass? Lawn experts have been saying for 20-30
years to let the clippings fall. They'll decompose, adding nutrients back
into the soil.

Good point. And a lot less work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 6, 2020 at 3:56:20 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

I've noticed this on newer mowers as well. I have a sears mower from the mid 90's that bags grass like crazy! It stuffs it completely, whereas the newer ones won't fill even halfway. The design of the bag on the older mower definitely seems to make a big difference. The bottom is level with the ground, but the newer ones all angle upward and the grass appears to be clogging in the discharge as it's fighting gravity.