Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mower Doesn't Catch Grass

On Saturday, April 14, 2001 at 9:00:27 AM UTC-5, Buck Turgidson wrote:
I have a Sears Lawnmower, about a year old. It doesn't bag the grass worth a darn.
I'll cut the whole lawn, and the bag won't even be 1/4 full. I don't claim to be a
genius, but I can only see one way to put the bag on, so let's assume I've done
that correctly.

It is a mulching lawnmower, with the curved blade. Would buying a flat blade help?
I am guessing that the motor is so powerful (6.75 hp, not self-propelled), that it
is mulching and pulverizing before it can bag it.

Appreciate any responese.

OK, enough! I have a Sears Craftsman 6.5 21"rotary lawn Mower with rear discharge. I have the same difficulty with my bag not collecting clippings. Yes, mulching may be good for the grass, BUT... I like to bag my yard and mulch my front lawn. Ohterwise, my dogs track in the backyard blades and I have a mess inside. This unit does have height adjustments but there is no visible height displayed. I understand that grass is healthiest if kept around 3" in height(so I've measured the height of the deck on a flat (cement) surface and added additional 1'2" for the depth of the blade inside the deck. All st. Blade is sharp, bottom of deck scraped clean with a carpet knife. Ready to go.
Not picking up? Manual causes: 1)cutting height too low ~ need to raise cutting height. 2) lift on blade worn off ~ replace blade 3.Catcher not venting air ~ clean grass catcher.
My first 2 issues were addressed. There is no instruction on how to "clean" the grass catcher. I shake it and take a little brush, but that really doesn't seem very effective. I will try hosing it down to see if that helps but I still think there must be a better way of cleaning the catcher (bag). I have my blade sharpened at a lawn & garden place and they never have mentioned anything about the "lift" on the blade being worn off. Maybe this was a problem when they sharpened...I don't know. First, I will make another effort at cleaning out the bag better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 11:17:38 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

When I used the bagger I always had to wash the bag out evet second
time I wowerd or it didn't bag worth a hoot. When it workes I filled
the bag every other round.

Mower Doesn't Catch Grass [email protected] Home Repair 6 October 20th 15 05:17 AM
Mower Doesn't Catch Grass [email protected] Home Repair 24 October 18th 15 06:43 AM
Grass Mower? Ed[_7_] UK diy 26 November 25th 10 09:22 PM
Mulcher Lawnmower: Bag does not catch Grass? lbbss Home Repair 6 September 18th 08 06:58 PM
How to catch grass clippings in yard Don Metalworking 10 April 16th 04 12:50 AM