Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Joyce Jim Joyce is offline

Default Mower Doesn't Catch Grass

On Wed, 6 May 2020 13:56:16 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Saturday, April 14, 2001 at 10:00:27 AM UTC-4, Buck Turgidson wrote:
I have a Sears Lawnmower, about a year old. It doesn't bag the grass worth a darn.
I'll cut the whole lawn, and the bag won't even be 1/4 full. I don't claim to be a
genius, but I can only see one way to put the bag on, so let's assume I've done
that correctly.

It is a mulching lawnmower, with the curved blade. Would buying a flat blade help?
I am guessing that the motor is so powerful (6.75 hp, not self-propelled), that it
is mulching and pulverizing before it can bag it.

Appreciate any responese.

The current bagging system on MTD-made lawn mowers (Toro, Craftsman, Cub Cadet, Murray, Lawn Boy, etc..) simply does not bag grass. It does a great job of spewing grass under the bag and at the top connection point, everywhere but the bag. Trust me, in 3 days I bought a Toro, Cub Cadet, and a Craftsman just to prove the point to myself. They all are designed exactly the same at the bagging site. I settled on the cheaper Craftsman and will start looking for a "man hack" to fix the flawed design issue. Why did my 30-year oldnJohn Deere die on me??

Why are you still bagging grass? Lawn experts have been saying for 20-30
years to let the clippings fall. They'll decompose, adding nutrients back
into the soil.