Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how does a memory foam mattress work

On 4/16/2020 5:02 AM, micky wrote:

how does a memory foam mattress work

"Memory foam works by becoming soft enough to mould around a person or
body shape. This happens when the high-density, low-resilience
polyurethane foam reacts to body heat. When the pressure is removed, it
returns to its original shape."

I assume it doesn't return to its original shaper for an hour or two,
right?

So, after you've been lying in bed a while, it moulds to you. But then
you roll over or move down six inches and, assuming your on your side,
your hips have made a big dent but now they are on a hill, and your
waist is 6" above the dent your hips had made, and every place else no
longer matched the dents and hills in the foam. How is this
comfortable?

No, it molds fast and goes back flat fast. You won't feel any hills or
bumps. Been sleeping on one for a few years and like it. I find it
comfortable and sleep well.

Stop by your local bedding place and try one. You can get them mail
order too. They are compressed and rolled for shipping.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 16 Apr 2020 10:03:07 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 4/16/2020 5:02 AM, micky wrote:

how does a memory foam mattress work

"Memory foam works by becoming soft enough to mould around a person or
body shape. This happens when the high-density, low-resilience
polyurethane foam reacts to body heat. When the pressure is removed, it
returns to its original shape."

I assume it doesn't return to its original shaper for an hour or two,
right?

So, after you've been lying in bed a while, it moulds to you. But then
you roll over or move down six inches and, assuming your on your side,
your hips have made a big dent but now they are on a hill, and your
waist is 6" above the dent your hips had made, and every place else no
longer matched the dents and hills in the foam. How is this
comfortable?

No, it molds fast and goes back flat fast.

Seems to me, then, it should be called anti-memory foam. But that's
why I asked and you two have answered it.

You won't feel any hills or
bumps. Been sleeping on one for a few years and like it. I find it
comfortable and sleep well.

I've always been fine with an inner-spring mattress, but I may need a
new one.

Stop by your local bedding place and try one. You can get them mail
order too. They are compressed and rolled for shipping.

So rolled up would be good because it would be a lot easier to get it
upstairs. (Even if I have a big one delivered, I'd have to clean some
to make room for the deliverymen.)

OTOH, I can get the new foam one upstairs, but I still have to get the
old one downstairs. ;-(

thanks both of you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Will it fit thru the window? If so, give it a shove, then go down to pick
it out of the flowers or off of someone's car.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have a 3-section window, side-by-side, and if took out all 6 panes, it
would fit.

I had a 21" CRT monitor that was hard enough to bring upstairs when I
was 8 years younger and 50 pounds lighter, so get rid of it, I tied a
rope to the power cord (or the signal cord?) and lowered it out the
window. A different windows.

I also cut the old water heater up to make it easier to drag up the
stairs, and to see what it was like inside. What they call a glass
lining is really a vinyl lining mixed with, I guess, glass.

I could cut the mattress into pieces, but that will leave clumps of
stuffing all over the place.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

We tried that with our old king mattress when we moved south. It wasn't
as easy as it sounds. It really didn't work. We put it curb side on
garbage pick up day and someone picked it up even with the big trial cut
in it. Seems all the inner springs were tied together. Luckily my son
was over and the 3 of us grunted it down the stairs.