Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default how does a memory foam mattress work

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 16 Apr 2020 10:03:07 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 4/16/2020 5:02 AM, micky wrote:

how does a memory foam mattress work

"Memory foam works by becoming soft enough to mould around a person or
body shape. This happens when the high-density, low-resilience
polyurethane foam reacts to body heat. When the pressure is removed, it
returns to its original shape."

I assume it doesn't return to its original shaper for an hour or two,
right?

So, after you've been lying in bed a while, it moulds to you. But then
you roll over or move down six inches and, assuming your on your side,
your hips have made a big dent but now they are on a hill, and your
waist is 6" above the dent your hips had made, and every place else no
longer matched the dents and hills in the foam. How is this
comfortable?

No, it molds fast and goes back flat fast.

Seems to me, then, it should be called anti-memory foam. But that's
why I asked and you two have answered it.

You won't feel any hills or
bumps. Been sleeping on one for a few years and like it. I find it
comfortable and sleep well.

I've always been fine with an inner-spring mattress, but I may need a
new one.

Stop by your local bedding place and try one. You can get them mail
order too. They are compressed and rolled for shipping.

So rolled up would be good because it would be a lot easier to get it
upstairs. (Even if I have a big one delivered, I'd have to clean some
to make room for the deliverymen.)

OTOH, I can get the new foam one upstairs, but I still have to get the
old one downstairs. ;-(

thanks both of you.