Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Washer Rust Repair

For starters, I'm never purchasing a Samsung washer or dryer again, and
even apprehensive with their other appliances.

My washer developed rust surrounding the bleach compartment. I removed
the plastic edging and discovered the abundant of rust. I attempted to
remove what I could but it'll be very difficult to get in the creases
and crevices, which means it'll return if I don't get it all, though
it'll probably return anyway. What are suggestions to remove all the
rust and/or repair this the best way.

Thanks

You can see damage he

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

After some sanding:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 14 Mar 2020 13:28:04 -0400, Hawk
wrote:

For starters, I'm never purchasing a Samsung washer or dryer again, and
even apprehensive with their other appliances.

My washer developed rust surrounding the bleach compartment. I removed
the plastic edging and discovered the abundant of rust. I attempted to
remove what I could but it'll be very difficult to get in the creases
and crevices, which means it'll return if I don't get it all, though
it'll probably return anyway. What are suggestions to remove all the
rust and/or repair this the best way.

Thanks

You can see damage he

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

After some sanding:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

You didn't ask a question, but I'd get one of the products that make a
plastic coating for rusting metal.

I think one is called Extend, but I'm not sure at that, and it comes in
a funny shaped plastic bottle, with a the cap on a slant.

But the label or the clerk at the autoparts store will know what I'm
talkign about. In general, it's only sold at autoparts stores.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If Extend ever was, it's not now, but they call them rust converters.
I'd use some of that. I tnink I did once and it did a good job.

a funny shaped plastic bottle, with a the cap on a slant.

But the label or the clerk at the autoparts store will know what I'm
talkign about. In general, it's only sold at autoparts stores.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/14/2020 1:28 PM, Hawk wrote:
For starters, I'm never purchasing a Samsung washer or dryer again, and
even apprehensive with their other appliances.

My washer developed rust surrounding the bleach compartment. I removed
the plastic edging and discovered the abundant of rust. I attempted to
remove what I could but it'll be very difficult to get in the creases
and crevices, which means it'll return if I don't get it all, though
it'll probably return anyway. What are suggestions to remove all the
rust and/or repair this the best way.

Thanks

You can see damage he

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

After some sanding:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

Nasty looking. How old is the machine?

There are some pants that are supposed to have a reaction to rust and
prevent it from getting worse. Permatex makes one.

Once painted I'd consider an epoxy paint or coating for protection.

https://saferoad.org/best-rust-converters/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 13:28:04 -0400, Hawk wrote:

For starters, I'm never purchasing a Samsung washer or dryer again, and
even apprehensive with their other appliances.

My washer developed rust surrounding the bleach compartment. I removed
the plastic edging and discovered the abundant of rust. I attempted to
remove what I could but it'll be very difficult to get in the creases
and crevices, which means it'll return if I don't get it all, though
it'll probably return anyway. What are suggestions to remove all the
rust and/or repair this the best way.

Thanks

You can see damage he

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

After some sanding:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

Cut the whole thing out and replace it with a piece of stainless.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 13:28:04 -0400, Hawk wrote:

For starters, I'm never purchasing a Samsung washer or dryer again, and
even apprehensive with their other appliances.

My washer developed rust surrounding the bleach compartment. I removed
the plastic edging and discovered the abundant of rust. I attempted to
remove what I could but it'll be very difficult to get in the creases
and crevices, which means it'll return if I don't get it all, though
it'll probably return anyway. What are suggestions to remove all the
rust and/or repair this the best way.

Thanks

You can see damage he

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

After some sanding:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

Use Loctite Rust Neutralizer (brush), prime it with Rust-Oleum Stops Rust (spray) and
finish it with Rust-Oleum Stops Rust Protective Enamel Gloss White Interior/Exterior Paint
(brush). Had good results with my iron porch railings with that combination.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Actually, I did, I just forgot the ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/14/2020 4:55 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
[...]

What about the existing rust I need to remove?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/14/2020 7:10 PM, Hawk wrote:
[...]

(brush).Â* Had good results with my iron porch railings with that
combination.

What about the existing rust I need to remove?

That's what good about that stuff. You don't have to remove all the rust.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 19:09:31 -0400, Hawk wrote:

On 3/14/2020 3:51 PM, wrote:
[...]

More work than I care to get into. I'm hoping to find something to
remove the rust much easier, then I'll repaint.

Then just soak it in the rust restorer product and paint it. My washer
ran for years rusted out until the whole bleach dispenser just fell
through but it still washed clothes OK.
I pinched off the hose and put that piece of stainless in there I
talked about.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/14/2020 05:09 PM, Hawk wrote:
More work than I care to get into. I'm hoping to find something to
remove the rust much easier, then I'll repaint.

Can you block off the bottom and build a dam around the top? Phosphoric
acid eats rust but is not aggressive with sound metal. It's usually
found with the concrete stuff at Home Depot etc since its used for
etching concrete.

It's not hand cream but it's not as harsh as hydrochloric. It also
leaves a phosphate residue that inhibits rust formation. Hydrochloric
leave a super clean surface that will rust before your eyes unless you
get a protective layer on it.

Rustzilla and Corroseal get mixed reviews.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/14/2020 05:22 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/14/2020 7:10 PM, Hawk wrote:
[...]

No but getting as much as possible off is good. From the photo it looks
like the finish is bubbles and that has to be dealt with. A wire brush
in a drill motor might do the job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 19:10:31 -0400, Hawk wrote:

[...]

Wire brush/wheel all loose spots. Put a cloth inside the washer first to catch the rust
particles. The rust neutralizer takes care of the rest.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 13:28:04 -0400, Hawk wrote:

For starters, I'm never purchasing a Samsung washer or dryer again, and
even apprehensive with their other appliances.

My washer developed rust surrounding the bleach compartment. I removed
the plastic edging and discovered the abundant of rust. I attempted to
remove what I could but it'll be very difficult to get in the creases
and crevices, which means it'll return if I don't get it all, though
it'll probably return anyway. What are suggestions to remove all the
rust and/or repair this the best way.

Thanks

You can see damage he

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

After some sanding:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

On mine the cast aluminum "spider" holding the drum totally
disintegrated and there was no rust at all anywhere on the cabinet. It
is in "conditioned space" though - low controlled humidity.
The spider problem was due to using only cold water and detergent that
was caustic. Apparently running a hot cycle every few times porevents
the problem - particularly if AFFRESH washing machine cleaner is used
on a semi-regular basis.
Convinced my wife warm water is cheaper than a new washer - - - -

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

PlastiKote rust converter is another product. Then coat with cold
galvanize or weld-through primer and a good epoxy topcoat and install
a rubber gasket between the steel and the plastic part to prevent
vibration from damaging the new finish.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

scraper and wire brush and/or 40grit sandpaper?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 19:22:15 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 3/14/2020 7:10 PM, Hawk wrote:
[...]

Just ALL the loose flaky rust - and any pealing paint.