Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Laundry room vent to attic ?

Can I vent my laundry room (not dryer) w/an exhaust fan directly to attic ?
We get a lot of heat in our 6x6' laundry room and need to get the heat out in the summer.

Thanks in advance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

When the dryer runs, the laundry room is hotter in the summer. I was going to install a exhaust fan. Considering a second fan to push that hot air into the house in the winter months.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 22, 2020 at 9:16:28 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Can I vent my laundry room (not dryer) w/an exhaust fan directly to attic ?
We get a lot of heat in our 6x6' laundry room and need to get the heat out in the summer.

Thanks in advance.

Probably OK if it's used just in summer. In colder weather, if the air
was humid then it will condense and possibly cause dampness, mold, etc.
But it likely does not meet code either and each fan like this leads
to more heat loss in cold weather too.

Where is all this heat coming from? Laundry room here has the AC vent
closed and never gets really hot, the dryer runs for an hour or so,
it doesn't warm up the space much. You also have to factor in where
the replacement air is coming from? If it's from inside, is it AC
cooled air that's going to replace it? If so, may be just as well to
leave a door open to the rest of the house and cool off the laundry
room that way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 22, 2020 at 9:24:30 AM UTC-5, wrote:
When the dryer runs, the laundry room is hotter in the summer. I was going to install a exhaust fan. Considering a second fan to push that hot air into the house in the winter months.

Where does this dryer vent? Outside or into the room? How long is it run?
I've had many dryers, never had one where there was any significant heating
of the room. I've heard of people venting the dryer inside the house to
get heat from it, but never from a laundry room with a normally vented dryer.
IF it's vented outside, have you checked to make sure it's actually going
there, pipe isn't disconnected, etc?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 22, 2020 at 9:16:28 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Can I vent my laundry room (not dryer) w/an exhaust fan directly to attic ?
We get a lot of heat in our 6x6' laundry room and need to get the heat out in the summer.

Thanks in advance.

No. The exhaust has too much moisture. Vent it outdoors, unless
you like the idea of mold in your attic.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

Probably a 30' run to the sofet. Guest bath is next room over and has vent to outside. Ok to couple the two exhausts in to 1 pipe w/a Tee ?
Both exhaust fans have chk valves.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My dryer is gas, I dont really want to vent the dryer in the house or attic. Just get the heat out of the laundry room.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

I live in a condo, and making holes in outside walls is very tricky. Association wont approve and b very upset if I do anything w/o asking.

Joining the two or venting to the attic is the easiest solution.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 22 Feb 2020 12:50:51 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

My dryer is gas, I dont really want to vent the dryer in the house or attic. Just get the heat out of the laundry room.

Thanks

Never thought about that. Are the combustion gases mixed in with the
dryer air exhaust?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My dryer is gas, I dont really want to vent the dryer in the house or attic. Just get the heat out of the laundry room.

Thanks

Never thought about that. Are the combustion gases mixed in with the
dryer air exhaust?

No

I would say, "Not normally." However, I wouldn't stake my life on the
separation of the two.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

To b clear, the exhaust fan will vent the room, not the dryer !

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My dryer is gas, I dont really want to vent the dryer in the house or attic. Just get the heat out of the laundry room.

Thanks

Never thought about that. Are the combustion gases mixed in with the
dryer air exhaust?

No

I would say, "Not normally." However, I wouldn't stake my life on the
separation of the two.

Cindy Hamilton

Then where do the dryer exhaust gases go? Into the house? There is
no separate exhaust vent, the gases must go out with the air through the one
vent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 8:46:13 AM UTC-5, wrote:
To b clear, the exhaust fan will vent the room, not the dryer !

I still haven't heard an explanation as to why the laundry room gets so hot?
None of mine ever have. And if it does get warm from use, which is
what, few hours a week, is it such a big deal that it's worth all the
trouble? You don't live in there, do you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My dryer is gas, I dont really want to vent the dryer in the house or attic. Just get the heat out of the laundry room.

Thanks

Never thought about that. Are the combustion gases mixed in with the
dryer air exhaust?

Does a gas clothes dryer have two exhaust pipes?

Yes
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My dryer is gas, I dont really want to vent the dryer in the house or attic. Just get the heat out of the laundry room.

Thanks

Never thought about that. Are the combustion gases mixed in with the
dryer air exhaust?

No

I would say, "Not normally." However, I wouldn't stake my life on the
separation of the two.

Cindy Hamilton

The International Gas Code would
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My dryer is gas, I dont really want to vent the dryer in the house or attic. Just get the heat out of the laundry room.

Thanks

Never thought about that. Are the combustion gases mixed in with the
dryer air exhaust?

No

I would say, "Not normally." However, I wouldn't stake my life on the
separation of the two.

Cindy Hamilton

Then where do the dryer exhaust gases go? Into the house? There is
no separate exhaust vent, the gases must go out with the air through the one
vent.

I was wrong, Gas dryers do vent the product of combustion out the
regular vent pipe. That surprises me. It actually blows flue gasses
into the drum. Yikes!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My dryer is gas, I dont really want to vent the dryer in the house or attic. Just get the heat out of the laundry room.

Thanks

Never thought about that. Are the combustion gases mixed in with the
dryer air exhaust?

No

I would say, "Not normally." However, I wouldn't stake my life on the
separation of the two.

Cindy Hamilton

The International Gas Code would

You're claiming that gas dryers do not vent combustion gases through the
one dryer vent hose? Where is the other exhaust vent? I've had gas dryers,
there is just one vent outside, just like an electric dryer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My dryer is gas, I dont really want to vent the dryer in the house or attic. Just get the heat out of the laundry room.

Thanks

Never thought about that. Are the combustion gases mixed in with the
dryer air exhaust?

No

I would say, "Not normally." However, I wouldn't stake my life on the
separation of the two.

Cindy Hamilton

Then where do the dryer exhaust gases go? Into the house? There is
no separate exhaust vent, the gases must go out with the air through the one
vent.

I was wrong, Gas dryers do vent the product of combustion out the
regular vent pipe. That surprises me. It actually blows flue gasses
into the drum. Yikes!

So what? It doesn't bother me. What about gas ranges and ovens? They
vent into the living space. They even have portable kerosene heaters that
do that. That I find a bit odd, but apparently it's safe enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My dryer is gas, I dont really want to vent the dryer in the house or attic. Just get the heat out of the laundry room.

Thanks

Never thought about that. Are the combustion gases mixed in with the
dryer air exhaust?

No

I would say, "Not normally." However, I wouldn't stake my life on the
separation of the two.

Cindy Hamilton

Then where do the dryer exhaust gases go? Into the house? There is
no separate exhaust vent, the gases must go out with the air through the one
vent.

I stand corrected.

All the more reason not to screw with exhaust gases in living
spaces (or areas that connect to living spaces).

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

These vent into the drum and out the vent pipe. It is required to run
these in metal with the preferred method being smooth "stove pipe" but
I am sure plenty are vented with vinyl or even PVC.
I also bet nobody pays any attention to maximum lengths, vent hood
styles and how bends affect the effective length.

I have never had a gas dryer but the more I read about them the more
it sounds like they just start a fire, blow air across it and exhaust
through the drum (No real heat exchanger at all). Again Yikes!
I hope you have plenty of makeup air.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My dryer is gas, I dont really want to vent the dryer in the house or attic. Just get the heat out of the laundry room.

Thanks

Never thought about that. Are the combustion gases mixed in with the
dryer air exhaust?

Does a gas clothes dryer have two exhaust pipes?

Nope. Never seen one that does, anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/23/2020 2:28 PM, wrote:

I have never had a gas dryer but the more I read about them the more
it sounds like they just start a fire, blow air across it and exhaust
through the drum (No real heat exchanger at all). Again Yikes!
I hope you have plenty of makeup air.

Well, in the most basic, yes, but they have a combustion chamber and air
is blown over/around it, not just directly onto the flame.

As for makeup air, a clothes dryer is in the 20-25 kBtu/hr while an old
50% natural draft furnace would typically be 100-150 kBtu/hr so it's
only a fourth or so of the combustion air required.

In looking, I was surprised to learn the tumble dryer as we know it is
really relatively recent -- it appears the first economical design
didn't become commercial until 1938; I'd've thunk would have been at
least 20 year before that.

But, they've been around now long enough there's ample evidence there's
no significant health consequences in design as are; did find that CPSC
did study in 1990s-2000 range that said in 1996 that were 15,000
dryer-related fires. But, also noted that there were an average of some
3-4 million electric and another 1-1.3 million gas units sold/year and
an estimate of about 73 million dryers in use. So, 15,500/73,000,000
isn't a terribly high failure rate.

Did note that of a small sample (79 incidents total) investigated that
about half the fires were either in the ducting or the lint trap w/ no
real pattern of any of the rest. Of those, about 50:50 whether the
owner would fess up as to that didn't regularly clean the trap/inspect
the ducting.

Numbers were somewhat higher of ~2:1 gas vs electric where there was
fire for the type of dryer reported (70 of the 79; 9 unknown type).
Didn't report on the 15,000 incidents by type.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My dryer is gas, I dont really want to vent the dryer in the house or attic. Just get the heat out of the laundry room.

Thanks

Never thought about that. Are the combustion gases mixed in with the
dryer air exhaust?

Does a gas clothes dryer have two exhaust pipes?

Dunno, I haven't had one since I was 10 years old, and it was spooky
back there behind it.