Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does steering lock up with faulty pump?

Another PIpple's Court question:

Plaintiff says when he drove, the steering would lock up. One time he
used the word froze. Turned out he needed a pump. He didnt' say what
car he drove, but are there... what are some cars whose steering locks
up when the pump is broken?

I had a 1995 Chrysler Lebaron that I drove for about 2 years with no
power steering fluid and except at speeds under 5 or 10, it steered
fine. Maybe a little harder to turn but nothing approaching freezing.
Do others lock up?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/9/2019 2:47 PM, micky wrote:
Another PIpple's Court question:

Plaintiff says when he drove, the steering would lock up. One time he
used the word froze. Turned out he needed a pump. He didnt' say what
car he drove, but are there... what are some cars whose steering locks
up when the pump is broken?

I had a 1995 Chrysler Lebaron that I drove for about 2 years with no
power steering fluid and except at speeds under 5 or 10, it steered
fine. Maybe a little harder to turn but nothing approaching freezing.
Do others lock up?

Some take more effort but I don't know that any would lock up. Maybe
for the wimpy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 09 Nov 2019 14:47:03 -0500, micky
wrote:

Another PIpple's Court question:

Plaintiff says when he drove, the steering would lock up. One time he
used the word froze. Turned out he needed a pump. He didnt' say what
car he drove, but are there... what are some cars whose steering locks
up when the pump is broken?

I had a 1995 Chrysler Lebaron that I drove for about 2 years with no
power steering fluid and except at speeds under 5 or 10, it steered
fine. Maybe a little harder to turn but nothing approaching freezing.
Do others lock up?

Not exactly "lock up" but become "virtually impossible" to steer.
Loss of fluid is not quite as bad as a seized pump -when you try to
turn many power steering systems you need to force the fluid back
through the (bad) pump - with no fluid THAT effort is removed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Another PIpple's Court question:

Plaintiff says when he drove, the steering would lock up. One time he
used the word froze. Turned out he needed a pump. He didnt' say what
car he drove, but are there... what are some cars whose steering locks
up when the pump is broken?

I had a 1995 Chrysler Lebaron that I drove for about 2 years with no
power steering fluid and except at speeds under 5 or 10, it steered
fine. Maybe a little harder to turn but nothing approaching freezing.
Do others lock up?

Not exactly "lock up" but become "virtually impossible" to steer.
Loss of fluid is not quite as bad as a seized pump -when you try to
turn many power steering systems you need to force the fluid back
through the (bad) pump - with no fluid THAT effort is removed.

I think it varies from vehicle to vehicle too. I know the BMW X5 if the
power steering is out, it's very difficult to turn at 10 MPH to make
a 90 deg turn. Forget about maneuvering it in tight quarters to get it
in the garage, etc. Someone on PC on TV would probably call that,
locking up to make their case better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Micky gets a plus one for reality tv. I do enjoy his topics.
My xterra is a hard turn when dead but doable.