Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Faulty window lock

I am unable to open the bathroom window, its a double glazed unit
fitted 4 years ago by Coldseal,

I have just found out the Coldseal went bust over a year a go, so their
10 year guarentee is worthless..

The window opening is jammed closed, its no use rotating the lock
handle as it moves freely and doesn't unlock the lock..

Any ideas, or suggestions gratefully received.

... Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ophelia

Default pvc window

Our house has $%(*& pvc windows and one of the handles has fallen off.
The threads on the bolts and the holders into which they screw have all
stripped. Any advice please other then a new unit?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 16:14:40 GMT, "Ophelia" wrote:

Our house has $%(*& pvc windows and one of the handles has fallen off.
The threads on the bolts and the holders into which they screw have all
stripped. Any advice please other then a new unit?

Had the same problem (with a brand new wooden window, but the locks
are the same), drill out the scre heads, remove the handle, the grip
the screw shaft with mole grips, and turn till it comes out.

Buy new new handle & screws from screwfix.

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Ophelia wrote:
Our house has $%(*& pvc windows and one of the handles has fallen off.
The threads on the bolts and the holders into which they screw have all
stripped. Any advice please other then a new unit?

Gap filling PVC solvent cement from a plumbers merchant,
or Gripfill.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ophelia

"Ophelia" wrote in message
. uk...

wrote:

Our house has $%(*& pvc windows and one of the handles has fallen
off.
The threads on the bolts and the holders into which they screw have
all
stripped. Any advice please other then a new unit?

Had the same problem (with a brand new wooden window, but the locks
are the same), drill out the scre heads, remove the handle, the grip
the screw shaft with mole grips, and turn till it comes out.

Buy new new handle & screws from screwfix.

Many thanks Rick)

Ooops I sent that before I intended) That isn't the problem. It
isn't the screw head that is stripped, it is the thread on the bolts and
also the internal collars into which they screw which form part of the
latch mechanism.

Once again.. many thanks for your response Rick)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 18:10:33 GMT, "Ophelia" wrote:

"Ophelia" wrote in message
.uk...

wrote:

Our house has $%(*& pvc windows and one of the handles has fallen
off.
The threads on the bolts and the holders into which they screw have
all
stripped. Any advice please other then a new unit?

Had the same problem (with a brand new wooden window, but the locks
are the same), drill out the scre heads, remove the handle, the grip
the screw shaft with mole grips, and turn till it comes out.

Buy new new handle & screws from screwfix.

Many thanks Rick)

Ooops I sent that before I intended) That isn't the problem. It
isn't the screw head that is stripped, it is the thread on the bolts and
also the internal collars into which they screw which form part of the
latch mechanism.

Once again.. many thanks for your response Rick)

I guess you have the Espangnette locks (multi point locks), on mine
you can remove the whole locking mechanism when the window is open,
and replace.

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ophelia

"Rick" wrote in message
On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 18:10:33 GMT, "Ophelia" wrote:

"Ophelia" wrote in message
o.uk...

wrote:

[...]

Ok I have just had a proper look at the edge of the window and you are
right) I hadn't seen that before) It's going to be fun getting
that out)

Many Thanks)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 18:46:44 GMT, "Ophelia" wrote:

"Rick" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 18:10:33 GMT, "Ophelia" wrote:

"Ophelia" wrote in message
. co.uk...

wrote:

[...]

Mine just unscrew (5 or more screws), and then come out easilly. If
its more complex than this, then ignore everything I have said.

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ophelia

"Rick" wrote in message
Mine just unscrew (5 or more screws), and then come out easilly. If
its more complex than this, then ignore everything I have said.

I think ours is different as we have 2 screws on the edge of the window
and 2 through the handle. But at least I have seen the edge now)

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 19:25:50 GMT, Tony wrote:

Is the glass easy to remove

Not always, often stuck in with tape.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob

I have the answer :

Is the glass easy to remove, how would I go about it..

... Thanks
... Tony

Try a common brick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Real Ale

Forgot to mention,

http://www.avocet-hardware.co.uk/index.htm

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 22:37:04 +0000, Nigel Molesworth
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 19:25:50 GMT, Tony wrote:

Is the glass easy to remove

Not always, often stuck in with tape.

Can someone give me an idea of how to remove the glass ( in one piece
) from the upvc window unit so I can drill out the faulty lock..

Thanks ... Tony