Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dryer exhaust filtering

Â*Out here in the woods we heat with ... wait for it ... wood . It's a
dry heat ... and while we don't often use the electric dryer , when we
do I'd kinda like to keep that heat and moisture in the house . So I'm
looking for a way to filter the minor amounts of lint that get past the
in-dryer filter screen . I've used old pantyhose legs in the past with
limited success but I think there must be a better way . Anybody done
this and have a suggestion ?

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/19 2:45 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Â*Out here in the woods we heat with ... wait for it ... wood . It's a
dry heat ... and while we don't often use the electric dryer , when we
do I'd kinda like to keep that heat and moisture in the house . So I'm
looking for a way to filter the minor amounts of lint that get past the
in-dryer filter screen . I've used old pantyhose legs in the past with
limited success but I think there must be a better way . Anybody done
this and have a suggestion ?

Take a look at this $10 device

https://www.mccombssupply.com/chk100... BEgIqA_D_BwE

or https://tinyurl.com/yylrgaph
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 8 Nov 2019 13:45:18 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

*Out here in the woods we heat with ... wait for it ... wood . It's a
dry heat ... and while we don't often use the electric dryer , when we
do I'd kinda like to keep that heat and moisture in the house . So I'm
looking for a way to filter the minor amounts of lint that get past the
in-dryer filter screen . I've used old pantyhose legs in the past with
limited success but I think there must be a better way . Anybody done
this and have a suggestion ?

A cyclone - like a workshop dust collector? or even a "drop box" with
baffles? then run the exhaust through a furnace filter to catch the
rest.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 8 Nov 2019 15:00:53 -0500, wrote:

On 11/8/19 2:45 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

*Out here in the woods we heat with ... wait for it ... wood . It's a
dry heat ... and while we don't often use the electric dryer , when we
do I'd kinda like to keep that heat and moisture in the house . So I'm
looking for a way to filter the minor amounts of lint that get past the
in-dryer filter screen . I've used old pantyhose legs in the past with
limited success but I think there must be a better way . Anybody done
this and have a suggestion ?

Take a look at this $10 device

https://www.mccombssupply.com/chk100... BEgIqA_D_BwE

or https://tinyurl.com/yylrgaph

That piece of crap doesn't filter ANYTHING - you end up with fine
lint all over everything.

Jafine's indoor drier vent filter isn't much better - about the
equivalent to 2 layers of nylon stocking or one old sports sock.
The unit from "bettervent" looks like it is significantly better for
about $60.00 - You can get it from Amazon.It has a filter monitor that
tells you when the filter needs cleaning

Deflecto makes a decent looking one as well as well as "indoor lint
trap" --https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/383861568236342092/
which has a crank to peel the lint off the filter and deposit it in a
catch box.

All of the above are listed on Amazon.ca
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Â*Out here in the woods we heat with ... wait for it ... wood . It's a
dry heat ... and while we don't often use the electric dryer , when we
do I'd kinda like to keep that heat and moisture in the house . So I'm
looking for a way to filter the minor amounts of lint that get past the
in-dryer filter screen . I've used old pantyhose legs in the past with
limited success but I think there must be a better way . Anybody done
this and have a suggestion ?

A cyclone - like a workshop dust collector? or even a "drop box" with
baffles? then run the exhaust through a furnace filter to catch the
rest.

Â*Hmm , great minds and all that ... I was thinking of a box with a
furnace filter mounted up on the wall behind the dryer . A cyclone
probably wouldn't do much , dryer lint has so little mass that it might
not separate . We have a big enough problem with dust and dog hair (he's
worth the bother) , I don't want to add dryer lint to it .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Â*Out here in the woods we heat with ... wait for it ... wood . It's a
dry heat ... and while we don't often use the electric dryer , when we
do I'd kinda like to keep that heat and moisture in the house . So I'm
looking for a way to filter the minor amounts of lint that get past the
in-dryer filter screen . I've used old pantyhose legs in the past with
limited success but I think there must be a better way . Anybody done
this and have a suggestion ?

Tape a pair of panty hose over the pipe. My Ex did that one year and
by spring we had half of a lint stuffed mannequin.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2019 4:11 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 11/8/2019 2:48 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Fri, 8 Nov 2019 13:45:18 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

Â*Â*Out here in the woods we heat with ... wait for it ... wood . It's a
[...]

Make the box big enough so the dog fit is it while the dryer is running.
It will catch the excess.

I'm thinking a box with a 4" inlet and outlet and the filter being a
partition in the center. The lid or base on the side after the filter
would be a screen in winter but covered over in summer.

You don't need the outlet if you want to remove or bypass the box in
summer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Have you tried this to make sure that other than filtering, it works OK.
You're going to be dumping a lot of moisture in one area and I would
expect you could have condensation on windows, any cold walls, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

In the dead of winter when it is dry as a March Fart that moisture
disappears pretty quickly in the house. I did have the dryer near an
intake for the forced air ducts but we never noticed a problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 8 Nov 2019 14:46:34 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 11/8/2019 2:00 PM, wrote:
On 11/8/19 2:45 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

**Out here in the woods we heat with ... wait for it ... wood . It's
a dry heat ... and while we don't often use the electric dryer , when
we do I'd kinda like to keep that heat and moisture in the house . So
I'm looking for a way to filter the minor amounts of lint that get
past the in-dryer filter screen . I've used old pantyhose legs in the
past with limited success but I think there must be a better way .
Anybody done this and have a suggestion ?

Take a look at this $10 device

https://www.mccombssupply.com/chk100... BEgIqA_D_BwE

I have one very much like this and that's what I was going to suggest.
You beat me to it.

or https://tinyurl.com/yylrgaph

* That's a fine device for directing the airflow . But it has no
filtering ... I know from experience that some lint gets past the filter
device inside the dryer . I don't want that lint settling all over the
house .

It says "Includes: One Heat Keeper Air Diverter, Two 4" Adjustable
Plastic Mounting Straps and Removable Lint Filter Cap. " So maybe it's
just not showing the lint filter cap.

At any rate, mine has a piece of window screen, or possibly finer than
normal window screen (I can check if you ask) and every once in a while
I have to clean off the lint. I don't get much lint. For one thing I
the dryer has a long lint trap that I have to clean every 2 or 3 loads
(It whistles when its full.) and I dont' think I get much line because
everything is cotton and polyester. Does that make a difference? I
think so.

Except towels and underpants are all cotton, but I stop the dryer before
the towels and shirts and pants are fully dry. I don't want to spend the
money and I think it hurts sta-press clothes to be dried all the way,
because they get hot at the end,.

My gizmo is 30+ years old so you may not find the exact thing, but
really the window screen is all that matters. It's about 6" x 6" and
in mine, has a plastic frame and slides in and out of a slot in the
side.

I've used this every winter for over 30 years and I've never noticed
more condensation on the windows, or water on the wood window sills. The
sills still have good paint, the wood has no rot. My furnace
humidifier wore out several years ago, but for 15 years I ran both. (The
replacements didn't work, and only one brand will fit my furnace.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yes. Never caused a problem for me either. In the winter in most of
the US, houses need extra humidity to keep the wood furniture from
drying out, espeically the piano.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

What piano? That's got to be the rarest piece of furniture in U.S.
houses in the second decade of the 21st Century.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Actually more like the second rarest - after the gramaphone (mabee
add in the parlor organ)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes. Never caused a problem for me either. In the winter in most of
the US, houses need extra humidity to keep the wood furniture from
drying out, espeically the piano.

What piano? That's got to be the rarest piece of furniture in U.S.
houses in the second decade of the 21st Century.

Actually more like the second rarest - after the gramaphone (mabee
add in the parlor organ)

We have a piano and a gramaphone ..
both probably older than 100 ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

As of 2015, 1 in 3,788 families own a piano.

Cindy Hamilton