Nova

Default filtering aniline dye?

mttt wrote:

Tried my first water soluble dye (JE Moser brand from Woodworker's Supply.)
Most instructions refer to a filtering step after the mixture has cooled.
As per one article I read, I made the mixture double strength and then
diluted before application.

What should I use for a filter?

I thought cheesecloth would be too coarse - since it's a water soluble dye.
So I tried a coffee filter, but it clogged about 1/2 way thru the batch.
(Albeit on the double strength batch.) Project turned out fine, so perhaps
the filtering is an unnecessary step?

A coffee filter should do the trick.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Bill Wallace

I use the same paper cone filters with the mesh at the bottm that I
use for Lacquer or anything else I'm putting in my gun. I get them in
bulk when I buy Lacquer, etc from the Wood Finish Supply folks @
http://www.liberonsupply.com/liberon.html. BTW, the owner guy there is
one of the most knowledgeable people I've spoken with about finishing.

BW

"mttt" wrote in message ...
Tried my first water soluble dye (JE Moser brand from Woodworker's Supply.)
Most instructions refer to a filtering step after the mixture has cooled.
As per one article I read, I made the mixture double strength and then
diluted before application.

What should I use for a filter?

I thought cheesecloth would be too coarse - since it's a water soluble dye.
So I tried a coffee filter, but it clogged about 1/2 way thru the batch.
(Albeit on the double strength batch.) Project turned out fine, so perhaps
the filtering is an unnecessary step?

Mike in Mystic

I've used cheesecloth with water-based aniline dye several times. It works
great and I had no problems.

--

There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.