DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   filtering aniline dye? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/20658-re-filtering-aniline-dye.html)

Nova September 9th 03 08:47 PM

filtering aniline dye?

mttt wrote:

Tried my first water soluble dye (JE Moser brand from Woodworker's Supply.)
Most instructions refer to a filtering step after the mixture has cooled.
As per one article I read, I made the mixture double strength and then
diluted before application.

What should I use for a filter?

I thought cheesecloth would be too coarse - since it's a water soluble dye.
So I tried a coffee filter, but it clogged about 1/2 way thru the batch.
(Albeit on the double strength batch.) Project turned out fine, so perhaps
the filtering is an unnecessary step?

A coffee filter should do the trick.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Bill Wallace September 9th 03 10:24 PM

filtering aniline dye?

I use the same paper cone filters with the mesh at the bottm that I
use for Lacquer or anything else I'm putting in my gun. I get them in
bulk when I buy Lacquer, etc from the Wood Finish Supply folks @
http://www.liberonsupply.com/liberon.html. BTW, the owner guy there is
one of the most knowledgeable people I've spoken with about finishing.

BW

Mike in Mystic September 10th 03 01:09 PM

filtering aniline dye?

I've used cheesecloth with water-based aniline dye several times. It works
great and I had no problems.

--

There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.