Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Utility shed situation

I am in the predicament of wanting to build a utility shed up
against the house on an inside corner where my outdoor A/C unit
is located. The area lost to the A/C unit is not significant but
obviously a lot of screened venting will need to go into the wall
design. The whole area is already a large concrete slab. Also I
am pondering how to make sure the county will accept this as a
shed and not an addition to the house. The primary purpose of the
shed will be storage of lawnmowers and garden tools/supplies. Any
thoughts? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 10:00:36 AM UTC-5, Davej wrote:
I am in the predicament of wanting to build a utility shed up
against the house on an inside corner where my outdoor A/C unit
is located. The area lost to the A/C unit is not significant but
obviously a lot of screened venting will need to go into the wall
design.

IDK what that means. Are you saying the AC winds up inside the shed?

The whole area is already a large concrete slab. Also I
am pondering how to make sure the county will accept this as a
shed and not an addition to the house.

I doubt you have an issue there. As long as it's not attached to the
house and is clearly a shed, then it's a shed. Do you need a permit
for a shed? If not, they won't even know until it's time to reappraise
the property and I doubt any appraiser is going to care.

The primary purpose of the
shed will be storage of lawnmowers and garden tools/supplies. Any
thoughts? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/6/2019 11:22 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

County here requires permit for 220 sq. ft. shed. They are a PITA with
aggressive inspectors going around.
Posted to alt.home.repair

County here requires permit for 220 sq. ft. shed. They are a PITA with
aggressive inspectors going around.

Are you sure that it's not 120 sq. ft. ?
Our town is 108 sq. ft. ie 9 x 12
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Nov 2019 07:00:29 -0800 (PST), Davej
wrote:

I am in the predicament of wanting to build a utility shed up
against the house on an inside corner where my outdoor A/C unit
is located. The area lost to the A/C unit is not significant but
obviously a lot of screened venting will need to go into the wall
design. The whole area is already a large concrete slab. Also I
am pondering how to make sure the county will accept this as a
shed and not an addition to the house. The primary purpose of the
shed will be storage of lawnmowers and garden tools/supplies. Any
thoughts? Thanks.

I would stay 3-4 feet from the A/C unit, even if that means pouring
more concrete. You certainly don't want to block air flow and you
don't want that heat in/on your shed.
As for being part of the house, usually a test is whether there is a
door going into the house from there.
The only other issue I see is storing flammable liquids on a shared
wall. If this is a sleeping room, it may not pass muster in the fire
code.
No matter what, you may still need a 1 hour rated wall. (YMMV)
These are the kinds of things I would worry about.

If the A/C was installed in this century there should be a GFCI
protected receptacle next to the condenser so you could tap off that
for a light and maybe a receptacle for a battery charger or something.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That receptacle by the AC must be a local thing. I don't see it up
here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It has been in the NEC for ~18 years. (2002)

210.63 Heating, Air-Conditioning, and Refrigeration
Equipment Outlet. A 125-volt, single-phase, 15- or 20-
ampere-rated receptacle outlet shall be installed at an accessible
location for the servicing of heating, air-conditioning,
and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle shall be located
on the same level and within 7.5 m (25 ft) of the heating,
air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle
outlet shall not be connected to the load side of the equipment
disconnecting means.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I guess the 25 ft range puts many already existing receptacles within
range. And would "accessible" include ones that are inside the house
that you can reach by opening a window? I know when I replaced mine
here ten years ago, it was inspected, there was no visible outdoor
receptacle by the AC and the inspector never said a word or checked
where the nearest one was. I've never
noticed ones right next to other ACs here either, but then there frequently
are outdoor receptacles someplace within extension cord reach. IMO,
this reqpt makes no sense. It would make more sense to require at least
one outdoor receptacle on each side of a home, or for every 25 ft of
perimeter, etc. You're far more likely to need those for safe use of
all kinds of things, eg power washing, electric leaf blowers or mowers,
paint sprayers, etc., than for the need of power to service the AC.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have five outdoor receptacles. One is about 12' from the AC and in a
spot where it otherwise would probably never be used. Note though, I
did say "probably" but if you need to use a tool on that side it would
be handy. I thought the builder was just being a nice guy putting one
there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Short answer, no. If it is through a door or window, it is not
"accessible".

I know when I replaced mine
here ten years ago, it was inspected, there was no visible outdoor
receptacle by the AC and the inspector never said a word or checked
where the nearest one was. I've never
noticed ones right next to other ACs here either, but then there frequently
are outdoor receptacles someplace within extension cord reach. IMO,
this reqpt makes no sense. It would make more sense to require at least
one outdoor receptacle on each side of a home, or for every 25 ft of
perimeter, etc. You're far more likely to need those for safe use of
all kinds of things, eg power washing, electric leaf blowers or mowers,
paint sprayers, etc., than for the need of power to service the AC.

The main use for the receptacle is the evacuation pump. There is a
rule requiring one on both sides of the house already. One on an
elevated deck only counts if you can get there from grade.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Within 25 feet - I don't call that "by" the AC. Thr receptacle in my
garage is only about 6 feet too far away - and it's on the opposite
side ofthe house. Eiher the one on my front porch or the one on my
rear deck are close enought
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Around here it is generally right next to the condenser and fed off
the closest circuit inside. The cost in new construction is minimal
and the HVAC guys love it.

To Trader I just ask, do you want that guy you are paying $125 an hour
to be walking around looking for a window to plug his extension cord
through? (wait for the CUSTOMER to remove the screen etc)?
If I own the HVAC company, no way are my guys touching a window or a
screen. You get me power, I will charge your AC but the clock is
running.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Don't know about where you live, but here in Waterloo Ontario
anything under 108 sq ft outside wall dimensions that does not have
any plumbing does not require a permit IF it is "free standing". This
means NO connection to the main building. No pool filtes, no water
lines -. There is no limit to the size of the roof as long as there
are no "external" roof supports.

It cannot be located within 2.5 meters - or 8' 2om the main structure
of any adjacent main buiulding (on other lots) and must adhere to
minimum setbacks the same as any other building, It can be up to 13' 1
1/2" tall but the base cannot be more than 2 inches above ground AT
ANY POINT. and cannot cover more than 10% of the total lot area.

If the sioll plate of the "shed" is fastened to the house in any way
you need a permit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Well, that's good to know, in case he decides to move the house and shed
to Canada.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 2:13:08 PM UTC-6, Clare Snyder wrote:
[...]
Don't know about where you live, but here in Waterloo Ontario
anything under 108 sq ft outside wall dimensions that does not have
any plumbing does not require a permit IF it is "free standing". This
means NO connection to the main building. No pool filtes, no water
lines -. There is no limit to the size of the roof as long as there
are no "external" roof supports.

It cannot be located within 2.5 meters - or 8' 2om the main structure
of any adjacent main building (on other lots) and must adhere to
minimum setbacks the same as any other building, It can be up to 13' 1
1/2" tall but the base cannot be more than 2 inches above ground AT
ANY POINT. and cannot cover more than 10% of the total lot area.

If the sill plate of the "shed" is fastened to the house in any way
you need a permit.

I don't see any restriction regarding distance from main structure,
however 120 sqft and 10 ft eve height is the limit to avoid a permit.
Under 400 sqft seems to have relaxed permit requirements. Over 400
sqft requires a detached garage permit. I think I want about 220 sqft.
I think I will need to call the county and ask them about the basic
requirements that a 220 sqft shed would need to meet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 6 Nov 2019 07:00:29 -0800 (PST), Davej
wrote:

I am in the predicament of wanting to build a utility shed up
against the house on an inside corner where my outdoor A/C unit
is located. The area lost to the A/C unit is not significant but
obviously a lot of screened venting will need to go into the wall
design. The whole area is already a large concrete slab. Also I
am pondering how to make sure the county will accept this as a
shed and not an addition to the house. The primary purpose of the
shed will be storage of lawnmowers and garden tools/supplies. Any
thoughts? Thanks.

How big is it planned to be.

Paint "SHED" on the door.

Maybe later you can paint over it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Nov 2019 07:00:29 -0800 (PST), Davej wrote:

Any thoughts? Thanks.

My brother figured out a loophole around the 120 square foot rule to build
a garden shed for all his stuff. He built one about 50 feet feet tall, with
ladders & pulleys for the upper 3 or 4 levels.

The city updated their by-laws afterwards to add a height restriction.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/6/19 9:00 AM, Davej wrote:
I am in the predicament of wanting to build a utility shed up
against the house on an inside corner where my outdoor A/C unit
is located. The area lost to the A/C unit is not significant but
obviously a lot of screened venting will need to go into the wall
design. The whole area is already a large concrete slab. Also I
am pondering how to make sure the county will accept this as a
shed and not an addition to the house. The primary purpose of the
shed will be storage of lawnmowers and garden tools/supplies. Any
thoughts? Thanks.

Suppose you buy a pre made one?