Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "What Were You Like At 17?": Bill Maher Defends Kavanaugh In FieryExchange With Liberal Guests

"And when liberal guest Heather McGhee tried to jump in, asking
"May the woman please speak about what this felt like?",
Sullivan shot her down immediately: "Please don't play that
card. You're making my point."

===========================

"What Were You Like At 17?": Maher Defends Kavanaugh In Fiery Exchange
With Liberal Guests

Sat, 09/21/2019 - 18:45

On his show Friday night, Bill Maher and his panel got into a heated
debate over the "new" allegations about Brett Kavanaugh - yes, the ones
even his accuser can't remember. Maher even turned on his liberal
comrades, adopting the position that rehashing events from when
Kavanaugh was 17 years old hurt the Democrats in 2018... and could hurt
them again.

Citing polling from 2018, Maher said that Democrats could have done
better in the midterm elections had it not been for the Kavanaugh
hearings: "People did not like going after a guy for what he did in high
school. It looked bad and now Democrats are talking about impeaching him
again?" Maher said.

Guest Andrew Sullivan seemed to agree. "He probably did some ****ty
things in high school drunk," he said.

And when liberal guest Heather McGhee tried to jump in, asking "May the
woman please speak about what this felt like?", Sullivan shot her down
immediately: "Please don't play that card. You're making my point."

When Kavanaugh's temperament was brought up, Sullivan responded: "You
try maintaining a good temperament when you're being accused of
something, you had no idea it was coming at you, came at the last
minute, and that happened years and years and years ago."

As McGhee tried to make the point that being a Supreme Court justice
isn't just a "normal job", Maher immediately fired back: "So you're
saying at 17 you have to have your fully formed character?"

He continued: "Live in reality, man! That's who they put up. We don't
have the votes, and now we lost seats! Are we gonna do it again? Ruth
Bader Ginsburg said glowing things about him What were you like at 17?"

You can watch the full clip, via Mediaite he

https://content.jwplatform.com/playe...-zffGtjRq.html

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/...liberal-guests
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 8:49:28 AM UTC-4, Home Guy wrote:
[...]

Plenty of 17-year-olds don't get drunk and (what was it? so many scandals,
so little memory) drug girls and have sex with them. I think I'd rather
have one of those on the SC. And girls need to speak up right away, not
umpty years later.

That said, I'm a little fed up with the whole "blackface" thing, and
attacking Biden for things he said and did 30, 40, 50 years ago. That
was then; this is now. Let's talk about what people are doing in the
present (or at least recent history) that is bad or good.

Next thing you know, someone's going to unearth a photo of the Halloween
costume I wore my freshman year of college. Being strapped for money,
I got two sheets of yellow posterboard, a bottle of brown makeup, put
on a green top and pants and went as an oversize example of
Rudbeckia goldsturm, better know as the black-eyed Susan.

When my co-workers see me with that brown makeup on, they'll shun me
for sure.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/22/2019 07:10 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
Plenty of 17-year-olds don't get drunk and (what was it? so many scandals,
so little memory) drug girls and have sex with them. I think I'd rather
have one of those on the SC. And girls need to speak up right away, not
umpty years later.

I know some 17 year old girls who'd rather not remember that part of
their life...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/22/2019 8:10 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
That said, I'm a little fed up with the whole "blackface" thing

Not surprising that a non-black would get fed up with the whole
"blackface" thing, since it's no threat to you. But I'm more concerned
with your dismissive use of the word "thing."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2019 6:31 AM, M. L. wrote:
On 9/22/2019 8:10 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
That said, I'm a little fed up with the whole "blackface" thing

Not surprising that a non-black would get fed up with the whole
"blackface" thing, since it's no threat to you. But I'm more concerned
with your dismissive use of the word "thing."

Â* Are you black ?

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

"M. L." wrote:

That said, I'm a little fed up with the whole "blackface" thing

Not surprising that a non-black would get fed up with the whole
"blackface" thing, since it's no threat to you. But I'm more
concerned with your dismissive use of the word "thing."

Candice Owens doesn't think "white supremecy" is a "thing" that is
getting blacks down.

Or does she have no cred in your eyes?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 23, 2019 at 7:31:56 AM UTC-4, M. L. wrote:
On 9/22/2019 8:10 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
That said, I'm a little fed up with the whole "blackface" thing

Not surprising that a non-black would get fed up with the whole
"blackface" thing, since it's no threat to you. But I'm more concerned
with your dismissive use of the word "thing."

What kind of threat is it to anybody to put on some makeup?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2019 7:31 AM, M. L. wrote:
On 9/22/2019 8:10 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
That said, I'm a little fed up with the whole "blackface" thing

Not surprising that a non-black would get fed up with the whole "blackface" thing, since it's no threat to you. But I'm more concerned with your dismissive use of the word "thing."

FWIW, Michael Jackson used to do a "whiteface" thing.Â* Matter of fact, he even had some cosmetic surgery.

--
Get off my lawn!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 06:11:41 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Monday, September 23, 2019 at 7:31:56 AM UTC-4, M. L. wrote:
On 9/22/2019 8:10 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
That said, I'm a little fed up with the whole "blackface" thing

Not surprising that a non-black would get fed up with the whole
"blackface" thing, since it's no threat to you. But I'm more concerned
with your dismissive use of the word "thing."

What kind of threat is it to anybody to put on some makeup?

Cindy Hamilton

I think it is perhaps insensitive, and perhaps STUPID -unless one is
"playing a part" as in a dramatic production/play etc - but not
neccesarily "racist".

I think the wholr issue is being blown out of proportion for both thr
Kav and Trudeau.

The Kav has a lot of more serious issues to be dealt with - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2019 11:51 AM, Grumpy Old White Guy wrote:
On 9/23/2019 7:31 AM, M. L. wrote:
On 9/22/2019 8:10 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
That said, I'm a little fed up with the whole "blackface" thing

Not surprising that a non-black would get fed up with the whole
"blackface" thing, since it's no threat to you. But I'm more
concerned with your dismissive use of the word "thing."

FWIW, Michael Jackson used to do a "whiteface" thing.Â* Matter of fact,
he even had some cosmetic surgery.

Â* Only in America can a poor black boy from the ghetto grow up to be a
rich white woman living in Beverly Hills .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2019 7:31 AM, M. L. wrote:
On 9/22/2019 8:10 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
That said, I'm a little fed up with the whole "blackface" thing

Not surprising that a non-black would get fed up with the whole
"blackface" thing, since it's no threat to you. But I'm more
concerned with your dismissive use of the word "thing."

FWIW, Michael Jackson used to do a "whiteface" thing. Matter of fact,
he even had some cosmetic surgery.

Only in America can a poor black boy from the ghetto grow up to be a
rich white woman living in Beverly Hills .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_whitening

Seems a lot of people would like to do whiteface.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/22/2019 8:10 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
That said, I'm a little fed up with the whole "blackface" thing

Not surprising that a non-black would get fed up with the whole
"blackface" thing, since it's no threat to you. But I'm more concerned
with your dismissive use of the word "thing."

What kind of threat is it to anybody to put on some makeup?

It's a devaluation of the target's ethnicity and personhood, which can
result in actual harm in complex ways.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 24, 2019 at 1:26:40 PM UTC-4, M. L. wrote:
On 9/22/2019 8:10 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
That said, I'm a little fed up with the whole "blackface" thing

Not surprising that a non-black would get fed up with the whole
"blackface" thing, since it's no threat to you. But I'm more concerned
with your dismissive use of the word "thing."

What kind of threat is it to anybody to put on some makeup?

It's a devaluation of the target's ethnicity and personhood, which can
result in actual harm in complex ways.

If I were to put on brown makeup, which specific target would be actually
harmed? A billion brown people who don't know I exist?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 2019-09-24 10:34 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Tuesday, September 24, 2019 at 1:26:40 PM UTC-4, M. L. wrote:
On 9/22/2019 8:10 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
That said, I'm a little fed up with the whole "blackface" thing

Not surprising that a non-black would get fed up with the whole
"blackface" thing, since it's no threat to you. But I'm more concerned
with your dismissive use of the word "thing."

What kind of threat is it to anybody to put on some makeup?

It's a devaluation of the target's ethnicity and personhood, which can
result in actual harm in complex ways.

If I were to put on brown makeup, which specific target would be actually
harmed? A billion brown people who don't know I exist?

Cindy Hamilton

where i live we have red people
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2019-09-24 10:34 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Tuesday, September 24, 2019 at 1:26:40 PM UTC-4, M. L. wrote:
On 9/22/2019 8:10 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
That said, I'm a little fed up with the whole "blackface" thing

Not surprising that a non-black would get fed up with the whole
"blackface" thing, since it's no threat to you. But I'm more concerned
with your dismissive use of the word "thing."

What kind of threat is it to anybody to put on some makeup?

It's a devaluation of the target's ethnicity and personhood, which can
result in actual harm in complex ways.

If I were to put on brown makeup, which specific target would be actually
harmed? A billion brown people who don't know I exist?

Cindy Hamilton

where i live we have red people

When I was in Zambia we had blacks, coloureds, whites and "pinkeys" -
those pale-skinned "limeys" that dared to go out in the mid-day sun -
- - -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/24/2019 11:26 AM, M. L. wrote:

On 9/22/2019 8:10 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
That said, I'm a little fed up with the whole "blackface" thing

Not surprising that a non-black would get fed up with the whole
"blackface" thing, since it's no threat to you. But I'm more concerned
with your dismissive use of the word "thing."

What kind of threat is it to anybody to put on some makeup?

It's a devaluation of the target's ethnicity and personhood, which can
result in actual harm in complex ways.

Sweet Jesus... Do you buy your Kool-Aid by the tanker? I definitely feel
threatened when black people conk their hair and slather on skin lightener.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/24/2019 11:34 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
If I were to put on brown makeup, which specific target would be actually
harmed? A billion brown people who don't know I exist?

You would be right up there with Her Streepness.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...aundromat.html

Hispanic actresses are so hard to find. If Paz de la Huerta was in it I
might even watch the movie.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That said, I'm a little fed up with the whole "blackface" thing

Not surprising that a non-black would get fed up with the whole
"blackface" thing, since it's no threat to you. But I'm more concerned
with your dismissive use of the word "thing."

What kind of threat is it to anybody to put on some makeup?

It's a devaluation of the target's ethnicity and personhood, which can
result in actual harm in complex ways.

If I were to put on brown makeup, which specific target would be actually
harmed? A billion brown people who don't know I exist?

Cindy Hamilton

The danger isn't necessarily instantaneous, it's insidious and happens
along with the many other degradations that, over time, allows
non-targets to condone or ignore bigger threats against the targets. The
results are clearly present today.

I don't think we need to continue this debate because your dismissive
attitude shows that you really have a hard time putting yourself in
other people's shoes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/26/19 2:56 AM, M. L. wrote:

That said, I'm a little fed up with the whole "blackface" thing

Not surprising that a non-black would get fed up with the whole
"blackface" thing, since it's no threat to you. But I'm more concerned
with your dismissive use of the word "thing."

What kind of threat is it to anybody to put on some makeup?

It's a devaluation of the target's ethnicity and personhood, which can
result in actual harm in complex ways.

If I were to put on brown makeup, which specific target would be actually
harmed?Â* A billion brown people who don't know I exist?

Cindy Hamilton

The danger isn't necessarily instantaneous, it's insidious and happens along with the many other degradations that, over time, allows non-targets to condone or ignore bigger threats against the targets. The results are clearly present today.

I don't think we need to continue this debate because your dismissive attitude shows that you really have a hard time putting yourself in other people's shoes.

I have black shoes and brown shoes and even some white sneakers. No matter what pair I wear in public, I'll likely offend someone.