Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

Default Current carrying capacity of shielded wire by the wire gauge

Having a hard time finding something that isn't rocket science.

I want to know the current carrying capacity of shielded wire by the wire gauge for runs of less than 25 feet.

I found this.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/w...ges-d_419.html

Any recommendations?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 19:58:49 -0700 (PDT), A K
wrote:

Having a hard time finding something that isn't rocket science.

I want to know the current carrying capacity of shielded wire by the wire gauge for runs of less than 25 feet.

I found this.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/w...ges-d_419.html

Any recommendations?

Generally you will run into voltage drop problems before you have
overheating problems with low voltage. A 3 or 4 volt drop at 120v is
no big deal but that same current will still drop 3 or 4 at 12v and
that is a killer.
Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

wrote:

Having a hard time finding something that isn't rocket science.

I want to know the current carrying capacity of shielded wire by the wire gauge for runs of less than 25 feet.

I found this.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/w...ges-d_419.html

Any recommendations?

Generally you will run into voltage drop problems before you have
overheating problems with low voltage. A 3 or 4 volt drop at 120v is
no big deal but that same current will still drop 3 or 4 at 12v and
that is a killer.

That is interesting info, but it does not answer my ?

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 10:58:52 PM UTC-4, A K wrote:
Having a hard time finding something that isn't rocket science.

I want to know the current carrying capacity of shielded wire by the wire gauge for runs of less than 25 feet.

I found this.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/w...ges-d_419.html

Any recommendations?

What kind of "shielded" wire are you talking about? If it's a multiconductor
shielded cable, like you'd use for sensitive signaling or audio, then it's
just like any other cable, determined by the
gauge of the conductors inside the shield. If it's coax you're talking
about, it's typically not used for DC or low freq AC. What are you using
and trying to do?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/10/19 9:58 PM, A K wrote:
Having a hard time finding something that isn't rocket science.

I want to know the current carrying capacity of shielded wire by the wire gauge for runs of less than 25 feet.

I found this.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/w...ges-d_419.html

Any recommendations?

This help?
http://www.hca.hitachi-cable.com/products/hca/faq/data/Current-Carrying-Capacity_Jan2012.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Having a hard time finding something that isn't rocket science.

I want to know the current carrying capacity of shielded wire by the wire gauge for runs of less than 25 feet.

I found this.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/w...ges-d_419.html

Any recommendations?

Generally you will run into voltage drop problems before you have
overheating problems with low voltage. A 3 or 4 volt drop at 120v is
no big deal but that same current will still drop 3 or 4 at 12v and
that is a killer.

That is interesting info, but it does not answer my ?

Andy

If you are talking about low voltage (30v) you are better served by a
voltage drop calculator than a ampacity table. Does that help?
Without knowing the length of the run, there is no right answer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 9:58:52 PM UTC-5, A K wrote:
[...]
I want to know the current carrying capacity of shielded wire
by the wire gauge for runs of less than 25 feet.

Why don't you just test it and find out?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/11/19 8:50 AM, Davej wrote:
On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 9:58:52 PM UTC-5, A K wrote:
[...]
I want to know the current carrying capacity of shielded wire
by the wire gauge for runs of less than 25 feet.

Why don't you just test it and find out?

rocket science is so difficult

voltage = current * resistance