Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cable Current Carrying Capacity

Hi all

Just looking at the calcs for my kitchen cabling to the 16th edition (don't
ask, I know we're in 17th territory now).

The wording in the on site guide I am referring to is a little unclear.
In appendix 6 there is a value to be calculated (lt) given as ln/CaCiCrCg.

The text in the OSG states that the tabulated value of current carrying
capacity is given by the above formula.
What I think it should say is that the tabulated value (generally given in
Table 6E1) must exceed the value calculated from the aove formula.

Can anyone provide informed opinion on this please?

TIA

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes that's correct, your cable must be able to carry equal to, or more than
your calculated (It) result.
I would have assumed you are using T&E cable, in which case you would use
table 6F.

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all

Just looking at the calcs for my kitchen cabling to the 16th edition
(don't ask, I know we're in 17th territory now).

The wording in the on site guide I am referring to is a little unclear.
In appendix 6 there is a value to be calculated (lt) given as ln/CaCiCrCg.

The text in the OSG states that the tabulated value of current carrying
capacity is given by the above formula.
What I think it should say is that the tabulated value (generally given in
Table 6E1) must exceed the value calculated from the aove formula.

Can anyone provide informed opinion on this please?

TIA

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Just looking at the calcs for my kitchen cabling to the 16th edition
(don't ask, I know we're in 17th territory now).

The wording in the on site guide I am referring to is a little
unclear. In appendix 6 there is a value to be calculated (lt) given as
ln/CaCiCrCg.
The text in the OSG states that the tabulated value of current
carrying capacity is given by the above formula.
What I think it should say is that the tabulated value (generally
given in Table 6E1) must exceed the value calculated from the aove
formula.
Can anyone provide informed opinion on this please?

TIA

Phil

We have our own section in the wiki
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...g_A_Cable_Size

Buy, yes you calculate the current carrying capacity of your cable
(In/CaCiCrCg) and then choose a cable from table 6F that is large enough to
carry this current

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stewith" wrote

Yes that's correct, your cable must be able to carry equal to, or more
than
your calculated (It) result.
I would have assumed you are using T&E cable, in which case you would use
table 6F.

Thanks Stewith - well spotted - should be using 6F as you say

Phil