Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to increase the current carrying capacity of Titanium Anodizing Racks

Hi,

We are a new anodizing rack manufacturer. Some of my customers want to
use titanium anodizing racks but they still want the high current
carrying capacity of aluminum racks.

How can we make such racks for them with high current capacity and
resistant to corrosion?

Thank you,

John Pun
www.anodizingracksonline.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

We are a new anodizing rack manufacturer. Some of my customers want to
use titanium anodizing racks but they still want the high current
carrying capacity of aluminum racks.

How can we make such racks for them with high current capacity and
resistant to corrosion?

Larger cross section of titanium comes to mind.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

We are a new anodizing rack manufacturer. Some of my customers want to
use titanium anodizing racks but they still want the high current
carrying capacity of aluminum racks.

How can we make such racks for them with high current capacity and
resistant to corrosion?

Thank you,

John Pun
www.anodizingracksonline.com

John

That's a tough task. Titanium conductivity is only about 10 % of aluminum.
I can think of 3 possibilities:

1) make them from bigger diameter or more rods

2) make them from hollow titanium tubing with an electrically bonded core of
copper or other good conductor, maybe you can plate the titanium on copper.

3) Find a titanium alloy that has better conductivity but retains the
corrosion resistance you want

Carl Boyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 23, 6:10 pm, wrote:
Hi,

We are a new anodizing rack manufacturer. Some of my customers want to
use titanium anodizing racks but they still want the high current
carrying capacity of aluminum racks.

How can we make such racks for them with high current capacity and
resistant to corrosion?

Thank you,

John Punwww.anodizingracksonline.com

Larger cross-sectional area is about it. We ran up to 10000 amps on
ours, the pads on the ends of the tanks were about 1x2 feet, the racks
themselves stood about 7' tall with a bar at the top about 2"x10" and
20' long. The parts supports themselves were pairs of rectangular
loops about 2' wide and 6' high made of rectangular bar stock about 2"
wide and 1/4" thick, three sets. The tanks were a little longer than
the racks and about 8' deep. We used a bridge crane to move racks
around, with wheeled fixtures for moving around the loading/unloading
area. You should be able to figure current densities and losses from
given bulk resistances from the manuals. If you can't, forget making
racks!

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 17:10:41 -0700, the renowned
wrote:

Hi,

We are a new anodizing rack manufacturer. Some of my customers want to
use titanium anodizing racks but they still want the high current
carrying capacity of aluminum racks.

How can we make such racks for them with high current capacity and
resistant to corrosion?

Thank you,

John Pun
www.anodizingracksonline.com

See US 5030520 (still has a few years to run).

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hi,

We are a new anodizing rack manufacturer. Some of my customers want to
use titanium anodizing racks but they still want the high current
carrying capacity of aluminum racks.

How can we make such racks for them with high current capacity and
resistant to corrosion?

Thank you,

John Pun
www.anodizingracksonline.com

Fabricate the rack out of tubing of titanium and design it so it can be
poured full of molten copper or aluminum. I would suggest you talk with
the foundry as to where to place the vents for pouring.

John