DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Current carrying capacity of shielded wire by the wire gauge (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/637549-current-carrying-capacity-shielded-wire-wire-gauge.html)

A K July 11th 19 03:58 AM

Current carrying capacity of shielded wire by the wire gauge

Having a hard time finding something that isn't rocket science.

I want to know the current carrying capacity of shielded wire by the wire gauge for runs of less than 25 feet.

I found this.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/w...ges-d_419.html

Any recommendations?

[email protected] July 11th 19 06:45 AM

Current carrying capacity of shielded wire by the wire gauge

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 19:58:49 -0700 (PDT), A K
wrote:

Having a hard time finding something that isn't rocket science.

I want to know the current carrying capacity of shielded wire by the wire gauge for runs of less than 25 feet.

I found this.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/w...ges-d_419.html

Any recommendations?

Generally you will run into voltage drop problems before you have
overheating problems with low voltage. A 3 or 4 volt drop at 120v is
no big deal but that same current will still drop 3 or 4 at 12v and
that is a killer.

A K July 11th 19 12:03 PM

wrote:

Having a hard time finding something that isn't rocket science.

I want to know the current carrying capacity of shielded wire by the wire gauge for runs of less than 25 feet.

I found this.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/w...ges-d_419.html

Any recommendations?

Generally you will run into voltage drop problems before you have
overheating problems with low voltage. A 3 or 4 volt drop at 120v is
no big deal but that same current will still drop 3 or 4 at 12v and
that is a killer.

That is interesting info, but it does not answer my ?

Andy

trader_4 July 11th 19 12:13 PM

On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 10:58:52 PM UTC-4, A K wrote:
Having a hard time finding something that isn't rocket science.

I want to know the current carrying capacity of shielded wire by the wire gauge for runs of less than 25 feet.

I found this.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/w...ges-d_419.html

Any recommendations?

What kind of "shielded" wire are you talking about? If it's a multiconductor
shielded cable, like you'd use for sensitive signaling or audio, then it's
just like any other cable, determined by the
gauge of the conductors inside the shield. If it's coax you're talking
about, it's typically not used for DC or low freq AC. What are you using
and trying to do?

Dean Hoffman[_12_] July 11th 19 01:06 PM

On 7/10/19 9:58 PM, A K wrote:
Having a hard time finding something that isn't rocket science.

I want to know the current carrying capacity of shielded wire by the wire gauge for runs of less than 25 feet.

I found this.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/w...ges-d_419.html

Any recommendations?

This help?
http://www.hca.hitachi-cable.com/products/hca/faq/data/Current-Carrying-Capacity_Jan2012.pdf

[email protected] July 11th 19 01:20 PM

Current carrying capacity of shielded wire by the wire gauge

wrote:

Having a hard time finding something that isn't rocket science.

I want to know the current carrying capacity of shielded wire by the wire gauge for runs of less than 25 feet.

I found this.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/w...ges-d_419.html

Any recommendations?

Generally you will run into voltage drop problems before you have
overheating problems with low voltage. A 3 or 4 volt drop at 120v is
no big deal but that same current will still drop 3 or 4 at 12v and
that is a killer.

That is interesting info, but it does not answer my ?

Andy

If you are talking about low voltage (30v) you are better served by a
voltage drop calculator than a ampacity table. Does that help?
Without knowing the length of the run, there is no right answer.

Davej July 11th 19 01:50 PM

Current carrying capacity of shielded wire by the wire gauge

On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 9:58:52 PM UTC-5, A K wrote:
[...]
I want to know the current carrying capacity of shielded wire
by the wire gauge for runs of less than 25 feet.

Why don't you just test it and find out?

Nerd July 11th 19 02:04 PM

On 7/11/19 8:50 AM, Davej wrote:
On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 9:58:52 PM UTC-5, A K wrote:
[...]
I want to know the current carrying capacity of shielded wire
by the wire gauge for runs of less than 25 feet.

Why don't you just test it and find out?

rocket science is so difficult

voltage = current * resistance

Ralph Mowery July 11th 19 10:03 PM

Current carrying capacity of shielded wire by the wire gauge

In article ,
says...

That is interesting info, but it does not answer my ?

Andy

You need to be more specific about what you want to do.

How much voltage and current is going to be used with the wire? What
kind of shielded wire ? How long is the wire ?

You were pointed to a wire chart. Usually you can take the guage of the
center conductor and use it for a starting point.