Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Crack in outer brickwork

We have a crack running down the back of our property and it runs from the
bottom right of the window to the top right of the patio doors, it has cracked
one brick right down the middle. The crack was there when we moved in 3 years
ago and has not noticeably moved.

We recently had a home buyer survey carried out and he was not sure if it was
settling or something more serious.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hx
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/17/2019 12:14 PM, Tom Orange wrote:
We have a crack running down the back of our property and it runs from the
bottom right of the window to the top right of the patio doors, it has
cracked
one brick right down the middle. The crack was there when we moved in 3
years
ago and has not noticeably moved.
We recently had a home buyer survey carried out and he was not sure if
it was
settling or something more serious.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hx
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hy

Not knowing the actual construction I can't say for sure, but it looks
like settling. If it is a brick veneer it is no big deal but I'd fill
it to keep water out.

If it was done by a professional home inspector he is incompetent as he
should be able to see the actual construction and figure it out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 12:14:05 PM UTC-4, Tom Orange wrote:
We have a crack running down the back of our property and it runs from the
bottom right of the window to the top right of the patio doors, it has cracked
one brick right down the middle. The crack was there when we moved in 3 years
ago and has not noticeably moved.

We recently had a home buyer survey carried out and he was not sure if it was
settling or something more serious.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hx
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hy

First pic is useless, looks like you covered up the crack with a black marker.
The answer the home inspector gave you is probably the answer most people will
give you. Is there any other evidence of problems in that area? Does it
have a basement? If so, any evidence of movements in the blocks? How old
is the house? The fact that it hasn't gotten worse in 3 years is good.

At a minimum the crack should be repaired with one of the products made for
masonry repair like that. I'd look for the best product, one that will
have some flex to it. If you're selling it, I guess it all depends then
on what your inspector is putting in his report, assuming you're giving
that to the buyer. Or what their inspector says. Typically they just
put something in like he already said and then say it should be evaluated
by a masonry pro. Which is probably your best bet. I'd get some out,
see what they say, find out what they say they would put in the crack,
then check out that product, etc...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/17/2019 11:30 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

The marker just outlined the area; the crack is in RH third/fourth of
the image...

Looks like it's sitting on a ledger of first floor? What's actually
that white but looks like it's the top of a patio slider door or the like.

If that supposition is correct, it didn't have enough header/masonry
support...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
[...]

Yes.

Looks like it's sitting on a ledger of first floor? What's actually that
white but looks like it's the top of a patio slider door or the like.

If that supposition is correct, it didn't have enough header/masonry
support...

Dunno, you wouldnt normally expect that crack to be just at the top
of that block of bricks if that was the case. You'd expect it to be further
down, just above the patio door if thats what is white at the bottom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 May 2019 12:23:12 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/17/2019 12:14 PM, Tom Orange wrote:
We have a crack running down the back of our property and it runs from the
bottom right of the window to the top right of the patio doors, it has
cracked
one brick right down the middle. The crack was there when we moved in 3
years
ago and has not noticeably moved.
We recently had a home buyer survey carried out and he was not sure if
it was
settling or something more serious.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hx
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hy

Not knowing the actual construction I can't say for sure, but it looks
like settling. If it is a brick veneer it is no big deal but I'd fill
it to keep water out.

+1 I'd also consider the framing of the window /door jambs. Something
give way?

If it was done by a professional home inspector he is incompetent as he
should be able to see the actual construction and figure it out.

CYA
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 May 2019 04:30:18 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"dpb" wrote in message ...
[...]

But ONLY because YOU confirmed it, you pathological, self-opinionated,
self-important senile asshole!

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/17/2019 1:30 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message ...
[...]

give you.Â* Is there any other evidence of problems in that area?
Does it
have a basement?Â* If so, any evidence of movements in the blocks?
How old
is the house?Â* The fact that it hasn't gotten worse in 3 years is good.

The marker just outlined the area; the crack is in RH third/fourth of
the image...

Yes.

Looks like it's sitting on a ledger of first floor?Â* What's actually
that white but looks like it's the top of a patio slider door or the
like.

If that supposition is correct, it didn't have enough header/masonry
support...

Dunno, you wouldnt normally expect that crack to be just at the top
of that block of bricks if that was the case. You'd expect it to be further
down, just above the patio door if thats what is white at the bottom.

What you mean? It goes diagonally down and to right until hits the
ledger. (Had to make image full screen to see the full RH edge in
browser here, maybe you aren't seeing the full extent?)