Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Crack in outer brickwork

On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 12:14:05 PM UTC-4, Tom Orange wrote:
We have a crack running down the back of our property and it runs from the
bottom right of the window to the top right of the patio doors, it has cracked
one brick right down the middle. The crack was there when we moved in 3 years
ago and has not noticeably moved.

We recently had a home buyer survey carried out and he was not sure if it was
settling or something more serious.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hx
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hy

First pic is useless, looks like you covered up the crack with a black marker.
The answer the home inspector gave you is probably the answer most people will
give you. Is there any other evidence of problems in that area? Does it
have a basement? If so, any evidence of movements in the blocks? How old
is the house? The fact that it hasn't gotten worse in 3 years is good.

At a minimum the crack should be repaired with one of the products made for
masonry repair like that. I'd look for the best product, one that will
have some flex to it. If you're selling it, I guess it all depends then
on what your inspector is putting in his report, assuming you're giving
that to the buyer. Or what their inspector says. Typically they just
put something in like he already said and then say it should be evaluated
by a masonry pro. Which is probably your best bet. I'd get some out,
see what they say, find out what they say they would put in the crack,
then check out that product, etc...