Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Aluminum umbrella pole too small for existing, wider diameter, wooden pole holder

Most new *patio umbrellas* have *aluminum poles*. My existing, heavy umbrella
holders were made for the larger, *wooden poles*. I have too much money tied
up in existing umbrella holders (over $300) to be replacing them. How can I
still use the existing holders without the aluminum poles' looking lost in
them or leaning "off vertical" after a wind? Someone suggested PVC pipe, but
I don't think there's a size that would fit inside the old holder and remain
large enough to insert the aluminum umbrella pole. I have seen a
plastic-looking top piece adapter, on-line, but I cannot see that it will be
strong enough to hold the pole vertically in place, in even a modest breeze.
It looks like it is just a decorative piece for covering the extra space
around the aluminum umbrella pole. Help! :0

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1189823-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/23/2019 4:44 PM, 3 Stand Owner wrote:
Most new *patio umbrellas* have *aluminum poles*.Â* My existing, heavy
umbrella
holders were made for the larger, *wooden poles*.Â* I have too much money
tied
up in existing umbrella holders (over $300) to be replacing them.Â* How
can I
still use the existing holders without the aluminum poles' looking lost in
them or leaning "off vertical" after a wind?Â* Someone suggested PVC
pipe, but
I don't think there's a size that would fit inside the old holder and
remain
large enough to insert the aluminum umbrella pole.

Take a ruler to the hardware store. Try PVC, EMT, copper tubing, or
just wrap them in duct tape until they fit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 17:26:19 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Take a ruler to the hardware store. Try PVC, EMT, copper tubing, or
just wrap them in duct tape until they fit.

A local iron works shop could make something. OP will not see me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/23/2019 3:44 PM, 3 Stand Owner wrote:
Most new *patio umbrellas* have *aluminum poles*.Â* My existing, heavy
umbrella
holders were made for the larger, *wooden poles*.Â* I have too much
money tied
up in existing umbrella holders (over $300) to be replacing them. How
can I
still use the existing holders without the aluminum poles' looking
lost in
them or leaning "off vertical" after a wind?Â* Someone suggested PVC
pipe, but
I don't think there's a size that would fit inside the old holder and
remain
large enough to insert the aluminum umbrella pole.Â* I have seen a
plastic-looking top piece adapter, on-line, but I cannot see that it
will be
strong enough to hold the pole vertically in place, in even a modest
breeze. It looks like it is just a decorative piece for covering the
extra space
around the aluminum umbrella pole.Â* Help!Â* :0

I'd just toodle on out to the shop and machine some bushings out of some
aluminum round stock .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old