Posted to alt.home.repair

Default patio umbrella pole repair

I need to know the name of the little spring loaded button that holds
the upper part of the umbrella pole in place in the bottom portion of
the pole. The wind grabbed my umbrella the other day and sheared the
button off. The manufacturer wants $100+ dollars to replace the whole
umbrella frame, when all I need is that little button. I've had no
luck finding what it is really called or where I can purchase them.
So, to be clear, the pole comes in two parts. The bottom part is
attached to the weighted umbrella base. The upper part is held in the
bottom by a button that sticks through a hole in the bottom. When you
want to remove the umbrella for storage, you just push the button and
lift the upper part of the pole with the umbrella on it out of the
lower portion.

I need to know what the name of the button is, and where I might buy a
replacement.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I need to know what the name of the button is, and where I might buy a
replacement.

It is called the button. Doubt you will find on any place aside from the
manufacturer, but you may be able to find an umbrella at a yard sale and
steal it from that one. Or maybe just slip a bolt into the hole when the
umbrella is in the stand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think its a "detent button", but where you get one to fit your specific
patio umbrella I have no idea.

I wonder if you can't, especially as the summer season ends, find a
replacement umbrella for a lot less than a hundred dollars.

I know a couple of years ago I piked up patio umbrellas at Costco for
about $ 20.00 a piece. Not real fancy items, but servicable.

--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I fixed the same problem on our deck umbrella a few years ago, and if
you value your leisure time at less than say $5 per hour, here's what I did.

I turned a button with a smaller diameter stud on its back end out of
brass rod on my lathe, and made a new leaf spring out of a piece of
hacksaw blade with the teeth ground off it. I drilled holes in both ends
of the spring after first torch annealing the ends by clamping the
spring in a vise with just the end sticking out.

I attached the new button to one end of the spring by peening over the
stud and secured the other end of the spring inside the pole with a pop
rivet through the pole wall.

There are two kinds of people, those who'd rather just get a new item,
so th4ey can spend their free time whacking a golf ball, and guys like
me who get a bizarre thrill out of doing stuff myself just for the ****s
and grins of it.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Jeff Wisnia, Jim wrote:
Punch it through so its open inside to the other side of the pole. Get your
drill with a good alum or steel bit, drill through the hole ot make a hole on
the other side. Get a bolt and washer and nut that will fit throught all the
way and put the nut on and tighten it.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ir-138140-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 1:44:06 PM UTC-5, Jim wrote:
replying to Jeff Wisnia, Jim wrote:
Punch it through so its open inside to the other side of the pole. Get your
drill with a good alum or steel bit, drill through the hole ot make a hole on
the other side. Get a bolt and washer and nut that will fit throught all the
way and put the nut on and tighten it.
--

Jeff can die happy now that his 12-year wait for your answer is finally over. I'm sure he sat looking out the window pining for an answer to his burning question. It's a good thing you came along when you did because I don't know how many more years Jeff could have waited for an answer. Bless you. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Thankful Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kip Kip is offline

On 5/28/2018 2:44 PM, Jim wrote:
replying to Jeff Wisnia, Jim wrote:
Punch it through so its open inside to the other side of the pole. Get your
drill with a good alum or steel bit,

I can't find any alum bits.Â* However, I got some Guhring cobalt twist drills in my box.Â* Would those work?

drill through the hole ot make a hole on
the other side. Get a bolt and washer and nut that will fit throught all the
way and put the nut on and tighten it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/28/2018 3:21 PM, Kip wrote:
On 5/28/2018 2:44 PM, Jim wrote:
replying to Jeff Wisnia, Jim wrote:
Punch it through so its open inside to the other side of the pole.
Get your
drill with a good alum or steel bit,

I can't find any alum bits.Â* However, I got some Guhring cobalt twist
drills in my box.Â* Would those work?

drill through the hole ot make a hole on
the other side. Get a bolt and washer and nut that will fit throught
all the
way and put the nut on and tighten it.

Â* He used a poor choice of words , probably meant bits intended to
drill aluminum . Whatever , the answer is yes , the bits you have should
work fine . Run 'em fast and use light pressure . And for sure center
punch where you want the hole , bits tend to skate on small diameter
round stuff .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old