Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Septic tank aerators?

Seems like mine is dead. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the
motor mounted above ground where the humidity would be lower? Instead
it is hanging in the hole.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 15:24:10 -0700 (PDT), Davej
wrote in

Seems like mine is dead. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the
motor mounted above ground where the humidity would be lower? Instead
it is hanging in the hole.

Yes. Here's one that is top mounted.

https://www.septicsolutions.com/sept...c-tank-aerator
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 7:29:24 AM UTC-5, CRNG wrote:
On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 15:24:10, Davej wrote:

Seems like mine is dead. Wouldn't it make more sense to
have the motor mounted above ground where the humidity
would be lower? Instead it is hanging in the hole.

Yes. Here's one that is top mounted.

https://www.septicsolutions.com/sept...c-tank-aerator

Yeah, there seem to be two different types of aerators. The type
I removed is a motor which hangs vertically and spins a hollow
shaft in the liquid. The hollow shaft has an agitator on the end
with holes in it. As the shaft spins air bubbles are ejected into
the liquid as air flows down the hollow shaft.

The other type of aerator is an air pump and hose scheme similar
to an oversized aquarium bubbler system.

I don't know how they compare in efficiency or reliability.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/21/2019 10:08 AM, Davej wrote:
On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 7:29:24 AM UTC-5, CRNG wrote:
On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 15:24:10, Davej wrote:

Seems like mine is dead. Wouldn't it make more sense to
have the motor mounted above ground where the humidity
would be lower? Instead it is hanging in the hole.

Yes. Here's one that is top mounted.

https://www.septicsolutions.com/sept...c-tank-aerator

Yeah, there seem to be two different types of aerators. The type
I removed is a motor which hangs vertically and spins a hollow
shaft in the liquid. The hollow shaft has an agitator on the end
with holes in it. As the shaft spins air bubbles are ejected into
the liquid as air flows down the hollow shaft.

The other type of aerator is an air pump and hose scheme similar
to an oversized aquarium bubbler system.

I don't know how they compare in efficiency or reliability.

Interesting to know about aerator septics as I had never heard of them.
I have a regular anaerobic septic and have seen neighbors forced to make
upgrades when they sold their houses but not to aerobic but putting in
expensive chemical treatment beds. Wonder if they could avoided this by
going aerobic?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 11:34:59 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
[...]

I don't know but this house was sold to me and it is obvious that
the aerator has been dead for some time, so I guess the county did
not inspect the septic system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/21/2019 12:50 PM, Davej wrote:
[...]

I'm sure it depends where you live. My county in northern DE has piled
on numerous rules since I moved into this house 45 years ago and I have
been watching the hoops that three neighbors had to jump through in
selling their houses. They would require a septic inspection including
putting a camera through the system to check it out.

As I mentioned, 2 neighbors had to put in new $25,000 treatment systems
which included the chemical treatment tanks to remove bacteria and heavy
metals. Another had to put in a separate drain field for the effluent
in the salt flush of his water softener. Wondered if the treatment
system could have been avoided if aerator was put in. Aerobic systems
are more expensive than anaerobic ones but more trouble free.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 1:49:50 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
[...]

The basic idea I'm reading is that a large level yard with 3 ft of good
soil can use an old-fashioned anaerobic septic system. However if you
have a smaller yard, or a yard that is not level, or a yard that has less
than 3 feet of good soil above rock or hardpan then at a minimum you will
need an aerobic system with an aerator. Apparently the motor-shaft type
aerators are what came first and the air-pump type aerators are the more
modern approach. Some systems have a chlorinator on the final tank, and
I guess there are even more complex systems.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2019 1:44 PM, Davej wrote:
[...]

My fields are evaporation fields so it might be beneficial. I needed an
alternate field first year we moved in when the original field got wet
and put in the second field. I think it is a requirement today. I had
to switch between the fields now and then when our three sons were here
and toilets were not low flush. Now with just wife and I, we are on the
original field for maybe the last 10 years. The next door neighbor that
had to put in expensive treatment chemical tank is on a leach field not
to far from his neighbors well in the back.