Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Septic tank aerators?

On 3/21/2019 10:08 AM, Davej wrote:
On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 7:29:24 AM UTC-5, CRNG wrote:
On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 15:24:10, Davej wrote:

Seems like mine is dead. Wouldn't it make more sense to
have the motor mounted above ground where the humidity
would be lower? Instead it is hanging in the hole.

Yes. Here's one that is top mounted.

https://www.septicsolutions.com/sept...c-tank-aerator

Yeah, there seem to be two different types of aerators. The type
I removed is a motor which hangs vertically and spins a hollow
shaft in the liquid. The hollow shaft has an agitator on the end
with holes in it. As the shaft spins air bubbles are ejected into
the liquid as air flows down the hollow shaft.

The other type of aerator is an air pump and hose scheme similar
to an oversized aquarium bubbler system.

I don't know how they compare in efficiency or reliability.

Interesting to know about aerator septics as I had never heard of them.
I have a regular anaerobic septic and have seen neighbors forced to make
upgrades when they sold their houses but not to aerobic but putting in
expensive chemical treatment beds. Wonder if they could avoided this by
going aerobic?