Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical Inspections, Nebraska floods, FAQ

This leads to a pdf explaining the basic stuff:
https://electrical.nebraska.gov/sites/electrical.nebraska.gov/files/doc/FREQUENTLY%20ASKED%20FLOOD%20QUESTIONS%202019.pdf

Anything below the high water mark needs to be replaced. There
will be a lot
of really busy people over the next few months.
It seems odd that a homeowner can rewire his principal residence but
has to hire
a pro to wire a weekend home.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 17:05:48 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

This leads to a pdf explaining the basic stuff:
https://electrical.nebraska.gov/sites/electrical.nebraska.gov/files/doc/FREQUENTLY%20ASKED%20FLOOD%20QUESTIONS%202019.pdf

Anything below the high water mark needs to be replaced. There
will be a lot
of really busy people over the next few months.
It seems odd that a homeowner can rewire his principal residence but
has to hire
a pro to wire a weekend home.

Typically if your second home is never rented and you are not selling
it soon, you can still get an owner/builder permit.

BTW this is something most people do not think of

******************
7.
Water has been in my home how much electrical wiring has to
be replaced?
Electrical equipment and devices that were below the high flood water
line will need to be replaced. NM Cable will need to be replaced or
cut back to a point that the interior paper is dry.
***********************

All the more reason to consider using UF or THHN/THWN in a raceway if
flooding might be an issue. I used Smurf Tube and individual
conductors in my addition. It really did not add much to the final
cost and provided some great benefits.

http://gfretwell.com/electrical/addi...murf%20job.jpg
http://gfretwell.com/electrical/addition/J%20box.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

There isn't much space left in that box. The news people are
using the
words historic and unprecedented to describe the flooding. The Platte
River
runs across the state east to west and floods almost every year. It's wide
and shallow so freezes up. Ice jams cause the flooding. The name
Nebraska is based on an Oto Indian word meaning "flat water".
The flooding is mainly in the eastern third of the state. Frozen
ground, snow melt,
and a storm called a bomb cyclone made a lot of rivers overflow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

How do you figure that? It is a 256 CU/IN box (8x8x4) and I am nowhere
near the 113 12 ga conductors that would fit.
Since all grounds only count as one the conductor count is less than
20
The news people are
using the
words historic and unprecedented to describe the flooding. The Platte
River
runs across the state east to west and floods almost every year. It's wide
and shallow so freezes up. Ice jams cause the flooding. The name
Nebraska is based on an Oto Indian word meaning "flat water".
The flooding is mainly in the eastern third of the state. Frozen
ground, snow melt,
and a storm called a bomb cyclone made a lot of rivers overflow.

Yeah I saw that on the news, How many of these people are actually in
a designated flood zone? (FEMA)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/20/19 7:08 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 18:43:08 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Dummy attack on my part. I just looked at the 7 conduits and
2 cables
going in. I didn't realize how deep the box is.
The news people are
using the
words historic and unprecedented to describe the flooding. The Platte
River
runs across the state east to west and floods almost every year. It's wide
and shallow so freezes up. Ice jams cause the flooding. The name
Nebraska is based on an Oto Indian word meaning "flat water".
The flooding is mainly in the eastern third of the state. Frozen
ground, snow melt,
and a storm called a bomb cyclone made a lot of rivers overflow.

Yeah I saw that on the news, How many of these people are actually in
a designated flood zone? (FEMA)

No idea.