Posted to alt.home.repair

Default basement toilet

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 20:44:13 GMT, Brian
m wrote:

I have a raised bungalow and the toilet in the basement tends to run
constantly. (Sounds like its trying to self flush almost.) I replaced the
tower in the tank thinking that the bottom seal was worn out, but it
continued. Therefore I replaced the toilet with a Cadet 3 toilet from HD. It
worked fine for maybe 6 months and has started to run constantly again. There
is nothing blocking the seal and we don't use those tank
deodorant/self-cleaning pucks. Any thoughts?

Is the float level right? (not overflowing and going down that center
tube)
If that is OK the other thing is to be sure the flapper in the bottom
of the tank is sealing (no crud in seal, chain adjusted right etc)
Some of these new toilets are pretty picky about that chain
adjustment. The flapper may not drop right if it is wrong.
Can you seat the flapper by hand and stop the drip?
Posted to alt.home.repair

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-1184662-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/14/2019 01:44 PM, Brian wrote:
I have a raised bungalow and the toilet in the basement tends to run
constantly. (Sounds like its trying to self flush almost.) I replaced the
tower in the tank thinking that the bottom seal was worn out, but it
continued. Therefore I replaced the toilet with a Cadet 3 toilet from
HD. It
worked fine for maybe 6 months and has started to run constantly again.
There
is nothing blocking the seal and we don't use those tank
deodorant/self-cleaning pucks. Any thoughts?

Does the float float? It is odd a new toilet would develop the same
problem. Is the water going into the bowl or down the overflow?

There isn't that much that can go wrong. Flappers can start to
disintegrate but that's after years, not 6 months.

What is the valve? One of the old style with the float on an arm? Is it
binding on the tank wall? Is it adjusted to cutoff the flow before
reaching the overflow? If a new style, is the float binding on the column?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

m wrote:

I have a raised bungalow and the toilet in the basement tends to run
constantly. (Sounds like its trying to self flush almost.) I replaced the
tower in the tank thinking that the bottom seal was worn out, but it
continued. Therefore I replaced the toilet with a Cadet 3 toilet from HD. It
worked fine for maybe 6 months and has started to run constantly again. There
is nothing blocking the seal and we don't use those tank
deodorant/self-cleaning pucks. Any thoughts?

Gremlins

The earth critters are trying to come out of the dark.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 13:30:52 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 20:51:35 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

What is the valve? One of the old style with the float on an arm? Is it
binding on the tank wall? Is it adjusted to cutoff the flow before
reaching the overflow? If a new style, is the float binding on the column?

The old metal floats on a brass arm developed a pin hole; thus not
float filled with water, just sit there an the valve never shuts off.

I've seen "sunken floats" in old carbs. They just flooded out :-)

The OP is talking about a new Cadet and it will have a Flowmaster in
it as a general rule.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/15/2019 02:21 PM, wrote:
The OP is talking about a new Cadet and it will have a Flowmaster in
it as a general rule.

A high performance exhaust system? I suppose that makes sense for a toilet.

https://www.jegs.com/v/Flowmaster/389

Just busting balls -- Fluidmaster

https://www.fluidmaster.com/

The OP might find something useful in that link.