Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Shipman's ladder"?

I was watching a show called Maine Cabin Masters. They were redoing
a camphouse
and built a Shipman's ladder for second floor access. Another name is
alternating tread stair. It looks something like this:
http://www.stairsuk.co.uk/assets/images/alternating-tread-staircase-gallerie/images/birch_24_spacesaver_jpg.jpg
Has anyone actually seen one?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Dec 2018 18:00:17 -0600, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

I was watching a show called Maine Cabin Masters. They were redoing
a camphouse
and built a Shipman's ladder for second floor access. Another name is
alternating tread stair. It looks something like this:
http://www.stairsuk.co.uk/assets/images/alternating-tread-staircase-gallerie/images/birch_24_spacesaver_jpg.jpg
Has anyone actually seen one?

That's a new one to me.
Looks like it's used in steep climb areas - safer than a ladder.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was watching a show called Maine Cabin Masters. They were redoing
a camphouse
and built a Shipman's ladder for second floor access. Another name is
alternating tread stair. It looks something like this:
http://www.stairsuk.co.uk/assets/images/alternating-tread-staircase-gallerie/images/birch_24_spacesaver_jpg.jpg
Has anyone actually seen one?

No I haven't. It looks like a great piece for a potted herb garden.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/8/2018 7:00 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Â* I was watching a show called Maine Cabin Masters.Â* They were redoing a camphouse
and built a Shipman's ladder for second floor access.Â*Â* Another name is alternating tread stair.Â* It looks something like this:
http://www.stairsuk.co.uk/assets/images/alternating-tread-staircase-gallerie/images/birch_24_spacesaver_jpg.jpg
Â* Has anyone actually seen one?

It's hard to imagine they meet building/fire code.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Dec 2018 16:45:03 -0800, Oren wrote:

It looks like

An accident waiting to happen. I can understand a greater overhang to allow
easier grasping with the hands, but staggering the steps will lead to a
staggering increase in staggered steps.

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 8 Dec 2018 18:00:17 -0600, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

I was watching a show called Maine Cabin Masters. They were redoing
a camphouse
and built a Shipman's ladder for second floor access. Another name is
alternating tread stair. It looks something like this:
http://www.stairsuk.co.uk/assets/images/alternating-tread-staircase-gallerie/images/birch_24_spacesaver_jpg.jpg
Has anyone actually seen one?

Never saw one. Looks like a great idea when horizontal space is scarce.
You'd have to practice to get good at using it, but I've found that when
I was fat and one knee hurt, I'd make a point to start with one leg, the
same leg, each time. If I can learn to do that without much trouble,
someone can learn to use these stairs properly. Newbies should be
warned.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Dec 2018 20:01:10 -0500, Bob wrote:

On 12/8/2018 7:00 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Â* I was watching a show called Maine Cabin Masters.Â* They were redoing a camphouse
and built a Shipman's ladder for second floor access.Â*Â* Another name is alternating tread stair.Â* It looks something like this:
http://www.stairsuk.co.uk/assets/images/alternating-tread-staircase-gallerie/images/birch_24_spacesaver_jpg.jpg
Â* Has anyone actually seen one?

It's hard to imagine they meet building/fire code.

It is certainly not an egress.
You would also have trouble with the building inspector. Rise and run
problems. This is technically a ladder not a stairway anyhow and you
are supposed to go down facing the treads. It also needs a hand rail.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/8/2018 8:06 PM, Mike_Duffy wrote:
On Sat, 08 Dec 2018 16:45:03 -0800, Oren wrote:

It looks like

An accident waiting to happen. I can understand a greater overhang to allow
easier grasping with the hands, but staggering the steps will lead to a
staggering increase in staggered steps.

Must be for drunken sailors
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 7:00:22 PM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
I was watching a show called Maine Cabin Masters. They were redoing
a camphouse
and built a Shipman's ladder for second floor access. Another name is
alternating tread stair. It looks something like this:
http://www.stairsuk.co.uk/assets/images/alternating-tread-staircase-gallerie/images/birch_24_spacesaver_jpg.jpg
Has anyone actually seen one?

My husband built one for a friend.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/9/18 6:10 AM, Frank wrote:
On 12/8/2018 8:06 PM, Mike_Duffy wrote:
On Sat, 08 Dec 2018 16:45:03 -0800, Oren wrote:

It looks like

An accident waiting to happen. I can understand a greater overhang to
allow
easier grasping with the hands, but staggering the steps will lead to a
staggering increase in staggered steps.

Must be for drunken sailors

"What do you do with a drunken sailor....................."?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGyPuey-1Jw
You'll be humming this in your sleep tonight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 07:32:36 -0500, "BurfordTJustice"
wrote:

Not many inspectors in "cabin" country.

Unfortunately lawyer still work there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 08:04:00 -0600, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

Must be for drunken sailors

"What do you do with a drunken sailor....................."?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGyPuey-1Jw
You'll be humming this in your sleep tonight.

"Good Ship Venus", also known as "Friggin' in the Riggin'", is a bawdy
drinking song devised to shock with ever increasingly lewd and
debauched sexual descriptions of the eponymous ship's loose-moraled
crew. The tune usually used (especially for the chorus) is "In and Out
the Windows".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRotvCVKAe8

Lyrics:

It was on the good ship Venus
By Christ, ya shoulda seen us
The figurehead was a whore in bed
And the mast, a mammoth penis

The captain of this lugger
He was a dirty bugger
He wasn't fit to shovel ****
From one place to another

Friggin' in the riggin'
Friggin' in the riggin'
Friggin' in the riggin'
There was **** all else to do

Captain's name was Morgan
By Christ, he was a gorgon
Ten times a day sweet tunes he'd play
On his ****in' organ
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Must be for drunken sailors

"What do you do with a drunken sailor....................."?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGyPuey-1Jw
You'll be humming this in your sleep tonight.

"Good Ship Venus", also known as "Friggin' in the Riggin'", is a bawdy
drinking song devised to shock with ever increasingly lewd and
debauched sexual descriptions of the eponymous ship's loose-moraled
crew. The tune usually used (especially for the chorus) is "In and Out
the Windows".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRotvCVKAe8

Lyrics:

It was on the good ship Venus
By Christ, ya shoulda seen us
The figurehead was a whore in bed
And the mast, a mammoth penis

The captain of this lugger
He was a dirty bugger
He wasn't fit to shovel ****
From one place to another

Friggin' in the riggin'
Friggin' in the riggin'
Friggin' in the riggin'
There was **** all else to do

Captain's name was Morgan
By Christ, he was a gorgon
Ten times a day sweet tunes he'd play
On his ****in' organ

We did the drunken sailor song in boot camp and we had some pretty
lewd and debauched sexual descriptions by the time it had gone around
a few times too. The real lyrics were gone in a minute or two. Then it
was just "can you top this"?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Must be for drunken sailors

"What do you do with a drunken sailor....................."?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGyPuey-1Jw
You'll be humming this in your sleep tonight.

"Good Ship Venus", also known as "Friggin' in the Riggin'", is a bawdy
drinking song devised to shock with ever increasingly lewd and
debauched sexual descriptions of the eponymous ship's loose-moraled
crew. The tune usually used (especially for the chorus) is "In and Out
the Windows".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRotvCVKAe8

Lyrics:

It was on the good ship Venus
By Christ, ya shoulda seen us
The figurehead was a whore in bed
And the mast, a mammoth penis

The captain of this lugger
He was a dirty bugger
He wasn't fit to shovel ****
From one place to another

Friggin' in the riggin'
Friggin' in the riggin'
Friggin' in the riggin'
There was **** all else to do

Captain's name was Morgan
By Christ, he was a gorgon
Ten times a day sweet tunes he'd play
On his ****in' organ

We did the drunken sailor song in boot camp and we had some pretty
lewd and debauched sexual descriptions by the time it had gone around
a few times too. The real lyrics were gone in a minute or two. Then it
was just "can you top this"?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41jU87TJxWL._SX342_.jpg

No friggin in the riggin....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean Hoffman posted for all of us...

I was watching a show called Maine Cabin Masters. They were redoing
a camphouse
and built a Shipman's ladder for second floor access. Another name is
alternating tread stair. It looks something like this:
http://www.stairsuk.co.uk/assets/images/alternating-tread-staircase-gallerie/images/birch_24_spacesaver_jpg.jpg
Has anyone actually seen one?

Never seen one, have read about them in magazines. Popular in the tiny house
craze.

--
Tekkie