Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default "Shipman's ladder"?

On 12/08/2018 09:23 PM, wrote:
You would also have trouble with the building inspector. Rise and run
problems. This is technically a ladder not a stairway anyhow and you
are supposed to go down facing the treads. It also needs a hand rail.

In the context of a ship, you don't face the treads going down. They do
have handrails though.

Conceptually, I can think of several examples with staggered footholds.
I lived in a cabin where the ladder to the loft was a plank with
alternating notches. It worked but it was nothing as ornate as that
example. When my ex visited it was interesting getting her into bed