Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Boarded Victorian Loft Strength

Morning,

My wife and I have moved into a 1900 victorian semi that has a boarded loft
space, I was wondering how strong this unlikely to be and was hoping for some
advice, since we've moved in we have put some items up there but limited it to
fairly light stuff such as camping equipment (tent and sleeping bags) old
clothes, spare pans and Xmas decs etc, I've avoided things like stacked boxes
of books etc. I wondered if that seemed an Ok weight? The roof is of purlin
construction and 2 by 4 beams spaced about 1ft apart. The chipboard is 1 inch
thick.

I've attached a few photos, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/gr
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/gs
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/gt
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/gu

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/5/2018 6:44 AM, BenTenBox wrote:
Morning,

My wife and I have moved into a 1900 victorian semi that has a boarded loft
space, I was wondering how strong this unlikely to be and was hoping for some
advice, since we've moved in we have put some items up there but limited it to
fairly light stuff such as camping equipment (tent and sleeping bags) old
clothes, spare pans and Xmas decs etc, I've avoided things like stacked boxes
of books etc. I wondered if that seemed an Ok weight? The roof is of purlin
construction and 2 by 4 beams spaced about 1ft apart. The chipboard is 1 inch
thick.
I've attached a few photos, any advice would be greatly appreciated. https://www.homeownershub.com/img/gr
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/gs
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/gt
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/gu

Sure, it makes sense to store Christmas decorations in the attic but why save/store junk?Â* Why not throw it out?Â* Problem solved.