Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How long should a lawn tractor battery last

Assuming you have pretty much a 12 month mowing season.
Mine is 3 1/2 years old and won't hold a charge for a week.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 6 Oct 2018 15:10:19 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Assuming you have pretty much a 12 month mowing season.
Mine is 3 1/2 years old and won't hold a charge for a week.

I have found it can be anywhere from about 2 to 5 years. They could be
like car batteries, some cost way less than others and hopefully the
more expensive ones will last longer. If you get 3 years out of the
average Walmart battery you are doing good.

If you have one that can be checked, do you look at the water level in
it very often ?

Water is good, terminals clean, charging system working OK, zero
current with the key off.
I am guessing it may just be a bad battery. A few minutes on the
charger and it starts, mow a while and it seems to be charged. (amps
go down). Then it is OK for a while.

BTW I am not sure why people trash Walmart batteries. Johnson Controls
makes them, along with a bunch of name brand batteries. The one in my
truck just failed (would not hold a charge for 3 few weeks, as often
as I use the truck), after 7 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/6/2018 3:10 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
If you get 3 years out of the
average Walmart battery you are doing good.

Heat, vibration, sulfation and improper charge system voltage/current kill a battery prematurely.

Here in Indiana, I get about 8 years on a Walmart battery installed in an Exmark mower with a smooth-running 28hp Kohler Command Pro engine.Â* I do keep a maintainer type charger on them over winter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 06 Oct 2018 16:34:29 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 6 Oct 2018 15:10:19 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

Johnson Controls makes some of the best (and the worst) batteries on
the North American market today.
Lawn tractors are a VISIOUS environment for a battery - lots of
vibration. An AGM batterywithstands the vibration much better and it
MAY be cost effective to go that route.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 06 Oct 2018 20:14:02 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Sat, 06 Oct 2018 16:34:29 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 6 Oct 2018 15:10:19 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

I would blame vibration if I had a cell connector failure or something
but this just acts like an old tired battery. I really suspected that
I had a drain of some kind in the system when it was off but I don't
see anything on a pretty good amp meter. I am going to try it again
next week and if it is good, I may pursue the drain thing more because
I might just have a flaky switch or other contact that is open now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sat, 6 Oct 2018 15:10:19 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

definitely eliminate external issues -
BUT

Vibration causes loss of active material from the plates. When the
loose active material builds up in the bottom of the cell it compunds
the problems caused by reduced active material by partially shorting
the plates - causing accellerated self discharge.

By dumpingthe acid and rincing out the cells, then re-installing the
settled out acid (no suspended plate material) a battery will very
often "come back to life" with reduced capacity compared to new, but
with restored charge retention
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/06/2018 06:37 PM, wrote:
I would blame vibration if I had a cell connector failure or something
but this just acts like an old tired battery. I really suspected that
I had a drain of some kind in the system when it was off but I don't
see anything on a pretty good amp meter. I am going to try it again
next week and if it is good, I may pursue the drain thing more because
I might just have a flaky switch or other contact that is open now.

Have you tried a desulphator?

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...-fact-fiction/

https://www.instructables.com/id/Des...an-Altoids-Ti/

I was going to brew one up but realized that by the time I rounded up
the components I could buy a BatteryMinder. The cheapest models go for
around $40. Beyond that you get more bells and whistles and the ability
to handle more batteries at once. I just cycle it through the bike
batteries throughout the winter and they're all ready to roll in the spring.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Sat, 6 Oct 2018 20:57:11 -0600, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling,

Have you tried a desulphator?

Have you tried a desenilizer, senile Rot? Gosh, is this fun! LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

1) Make sure there is no current draw when the tractor is parked and switched off..

2) Buy a small charger to connect over the winter. But do not overcharge.
Maybe use a timer so it charges only an hour a day.

3) Buy a digital voltmeter.

A battery on long term trickle charge will last longest with about 13.6 Volts on it.

Any more and it will loose life due to over charge.
Any less and it will loose life due to undercharge.