Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ridge vent buckled and loose

Something else I noticed on my "house-built-by-idiots" is that
my ridge vents look bad. They are buckled and not tight against
the roof. Also it is run over gable areas where I think it simply
can't fit correctly. What is the proper way to terminate a run of
ridge vent?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/7/2018 6:08 PM, Davej wrote:
Something else I noticed on my "house-built-by-idiots" is that
my ridge vents look bad. They are buckled and not tight against
the roof. Also it is run over gable areas where I think it simply
can't fit correctly. What is the proper way to terminate a run of
ridge vent?

Â* If you want it done right ... my next step is finishing sheetrock -
starting with the ceiling . Got a brand new set of drywall stilts , just
need to learn how to use 'em without breaking any bones . BTW , I went
with ribbed steel roofing , automatic ridge venting . I also used some
"shingle saver" molded foam trays at the soffit for convection intakes .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 7, 2018 at 7:08:44 PM UTC-4, Davej wrote:
Something else I noticed on my "house-built-by-idiots" is that
my ridge vents look bad. They are buckled and not tight against
the roof. Also it is run over gable areas where I think it simply
can't fit correctly. What is the proper way to terminate a run of
ridge vent?

Usually it runs to the ends of the roof, with cap shingles over top.
The last two feet or so, where it extends over the roof edges, there
is no slot cut in the roof. Is this the rigid kind or the kind that
comes on rolls and looks like the filter stuff they use in window
air conditioners? IMO, the rigid is the only one I'd use. And if it's
installed right it shouldn't be buckled.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 7, 2018 at 6:59:10 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, September 7, 2018 at 7:08:44 PM UTC-4, Davej wrote:
Something else I noticed on my "house-built-by-idiots" is that
my ridge vents look bad. They are buckled and not tight against
the roof. Also it is run over gable areas where I think it simply
can't fit correctly. What is the proper way to terminate a run of
ridge vent?

Usually it runs to the ends of the roof, with cap shingles over top.
The last two feet or so, where it extends over the roof edges, there
is no slot cut in the roof. Is this the rigid kind or the kind that
comes on rolls and looks like the filter stuff they use in window
air conditioners? IMO, the rigid is the only one I'd use. And if it's
installed right it shouldn't be buckled.

Does ridge vent last as long as a roof? This may be original work which
would be 18 years old. Ridge vent is plastic... maybe I simply need to
replace it? Roof is 18 and may last another 3-5 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 10:48:06 AM UTC-4, Davej wrote:
[...]

Yes, it should last the life of the roof. Can you tell if it's actually
deformed or did it just come loose? Since it's deformed, I assume it's
the rigid kind. It's not hard to replace, can be DIY. You just remove
the cap shingles and vent, then replace with new. I used Shingle Vent II
on mine. They have a design which is supposed to use any breeze to create
additional suction to move the air out. I think HD carries them.

Whether it's worth fixing on a roof that only has 5 years left though
is questionable, I can't see how bad it is. Are you basing the 5 years
on the actual condition? Many roofs can go 25 to 30.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 07:48:02 -0700 (PDT), Davej
wrote:

[...]

If it's plastic, you're lucky it lasted that long. Plastic decays from
sunlight. Some more than others, but they all do. Thats the same reason
that vinyl siding gets deformed and buckled over time. I make a point of
not using any plastic on the exterior of my home.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Maybe that's why ridge vent is covered with cap shingles?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat 08 Sep 2018 01:52:36p, told us...

wrote:

[...]

Really good quality vinyl siding with proper installation can last
for decades and still look good. Unfortunately there is also cheap
vinyl siding and poor installers. A couple of years ago I went back
to visit where I lived 30 years ago in a house with vinyl siding.
The roof had since been replaced, but the siding didn't need it and
it still looked good.

If they built houses on their side, the siding would get more sunlight
and wear out faster, but the roof would last longer.