Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wife wants 540 threads per inch pima cotton sateen sheets?

Wife puts on the shopping list 540 threads per inch pima cotton sateen
sheets.

I look it up where 540 is just the square root of the number of threads per
inch (23 threads lengthwise per inch x 23 threads widthwise per inch).

What's a "good" number of threads per square inch anyway?

Then she says it must be American Pima.
Looking that up, it seems Pima is an Andes Indian tribe that grew cotton.
That cotton is a special cotton that grows in the USA apparently.

What's the difference between PIMA and Egyptian for example for sheets?

Last, she asks for sateen.
Is that a mispelling of satin?
Nope.

Looking that up, it's a way of "mercerizing" which is some kind of acid
base wash that does something miracle like to cotton to make it soak up
stains better.

Anyone know more about how to buy sheets than that lookup gave me?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/2018 7:01 PM, Logan MacEwens wrote:

Anyone know more about how to buy sheets than that lookup gave me?

Just write the check is all you have to do...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/18 7:01 PM, Logan MacEwens wrote:
[...]

Don't you just combine the words in your title and then hope
they're exactly
the right color?
"540 threads per inch pima cotton sateen sheets"
https://www.amazon.com/Wamsutta-500-Thread-Count-PimaCott-QUEEN-Freebies/dp/B075KLRX9T

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 25/08/2018 @ 17:38:12, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Don't you just combine the words in your title and then hope
they're exactly
the right color?
"540 threads per inch pima cotton sateen sheets"
https://www.amazon.com/Wamsutta-500-Thread-Count-PimaCott-QUEEN-Freebies/dp/B075KLRX9T

That doesn't help as I'm trying to learn how to buy the sheets better.
The wife doesn't have a clue why she wants what she wants.

The color is for a girl going off to college so the size is some kind of
long twin but I have no control over that so I didn't ask that here.

The wifey asks for stuff but she doesn't know what she is asking for.
She just knows that is what her friends tell her to buy for kids to school.

She did the same with "leaded crystal" where I asked why "leaded crystal"
and all she could tell me is all her friends have leaded crystal.

I looked that up and it happens to be "clearer" but let's get back to
pima cotton - 540 tpi - sateen

That URL you gave says
"Pimacott. Experience luxury with the Wamsutta 500-Thread-Count PimaCott
Sheet Set. Pure American PimaCott holds color better, fades less and the
extra-long, dense fibers create ultrafine fabric that is smooth, luxurious,
and amazingly soft."

That doesn't really tell me what "pima" means unles the fibers are "extra
long" but what does an extra long fiber really mean?

Aren't the fibers the whole size of the sheet itself?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/2018 8:01 PM, Logan MacEwens wrote:
[...]

I do know that you should buy what she wants and you will sleep better.
They sound like nice sheets though. Should be soft and smooth.

We also have jersey sheets that are quite comfortable and priced
reasonable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/2018 8:46 PM, Logan MacEwens wrote:
[...]

https://www.pimacott.com/blog/egypti...the-difference

Your wife is a fool for being a lemming. Does she plan to follow what
everyone says the rest of her life? Do you plan to abide? Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 25/08/2018 @ 18:04:05, Meanie wrote:

https://www.pimacott.com/blog/egypti...the-difference

Here is what that web site says.

There are three different species of cotton.
The most common type is Upland cotton comprising nearly 90%.
The remaining 10% is Egyptian cotton and pima cotton.
Egyptian and pima cotton are "extra-long staple cottons".
That's a term that refers to the length of the individual cotton fibers.
These longer silkier fibers produce a luxuriously soft fabric.
It's incredibly strong.
It's resistant to fraying, tearing, pilling, wrinkling, and fading.
Egyptian & pima cotton have the same scientific name gossypium barbadense.
Pima cotton is primarily grown in the United States.
Egyptian cotton thrives in the hot dry climate of the Nile River Valley.
A recent test revealed 89% of cottons sold as Egyptian or pima aren't pure.
Egyptian cotton is especially troublesome.
Any cotton grown in Egypt can technically be labeled "Egyptian cotton".
Anything labeled "100% cotton" is likely Upland cotton.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/2018 8:46 PM, Logan MacEwens wrote:

The color is for a girl going off to college so the size is some kind of
long twin but I have no control over that so I didn't ask that here.

The wifey asks for stuff but she doesn't know what she is asking for.
She just knows that is what her friends tell her to buy for kids to school.

For a kid going to school you want good but cheap. I have a version of
these on our beds and would be good for school
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...-Set/838733703

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/25/2018 06:01 PM, Logan MacEwens wrote:
[...]

https://www.amazon.com/Vivendi-Threa...=h ome-garden

Supima is 100% US Pima cotton, and 600 tpi beats 540. Besides they have
genuine Victorian Faggotry. How can you go wrong?

The header doesn't say it but one of the questions says it's a sateen,
not percale, weave.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 26 Aug 2018 00:46:38 +0000 (UTC), Logan
MacEwens wrote:

On 25/08/2018 @ 17:38:12, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Don't you just combine the words in your title and then hope
they're exactly
the right color?
"540 threads per inch pima cotton sateen sheets"
https://www.amazon.com/Wamsutta-500-Thread-Count-PimaCott-QUEEN-Freebies/dp/B075KLRX9T

That doesn't help as I'm trying to learn how to buy the sheets better.
The wife doesn't have a clue why she wants what she wants.

The color is for a girl going off to college so the size is some kind of
long twin but I have no control over that so I didn't ask that here.

You're lucky she only wants sheets. My sil wants houses.

The wifey asks for stuff but she doesn't know what she is asking for.
She just knows that is what her friends tell her to buy for kids to school.

She did the same with "leaded crystal" where I asked why "leaded crystal"
and all she could tell me is all her friends have leaded crystal.

I looked that up and it happens to be "clearer" but let's get back to
pima cotton - 540 tpi - sateen

That URL you gave says
"Pimacott. Experience luxury with the Wamsutta 500-Thread-Count PimaCott
Sheet Set. Pure American PimaCott holds color better, fades less and the
extra-long, dense fibers create ultrafine fabric that is smooth, luxurious,
and amazingly soft."

That doesn't really tell me what "pima" means unles the fibers are "extra
long" but what does an extra long fiber really mean?

Aren't the fibers the whole size of the sheet itself?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/25/2018 08:01 PM, Logan MacEwens wrote:
[...]

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KU7I22

These truly are the best sheets ever...but according to SWMBO, Wamsutta
no longer makes them.

Bed Bath and Beyond has something similar but they're not as nice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/2018 9:20 PM, Logan MacEwens wrote:
[...]

That is correct and mercerized cotton has been treated with caustic to
improve strength and shrinkage.

The higher thread count means that the yarn used is finer and sheets
will feel softer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 25 Aug 2018 22:09:10 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 8/25/2018 8:46 PM, Logan MacEwens wrote:

The color is for a girl going off to college so the size is some kind of
long twin but I have no control over that so I didn't ask that here.

The wifey asks for stuff but she doesn't know what she is asking for.
She just knows that is what her friends tell her to buy for kids to school.

For a kid going to school you want good but cheap. I have a version of
these on our beds and would be good for school
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...-Set/838733703

I had a roommate who got eye makeup all over her sheet. Unfortunately
she'd borrowed the sheet from me.

The compansation was that she became a Playboy bunny so I could tell
everyone I roomed with a Playboy bunny.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 8/25/2018 8:46 PM, Logan MacEwens wrote:

The color is for a girl going off to college so the size is some kind of
long twin but I have no control over that so I didn't ask that here.

The wifey asks for stuff but she doesn't know what she is asking for.
She just knows that is what her friends tell her to buy for kids to school.

For a kid going to school you want good but cheap. I have a version of
these on our beds and would be good for school
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...-Set/838733703

I had a roommate who got eye makeup all over her sheet. Unfortunately
she'd borrowed the sheet from me.

The compansation was that she became a Playboy bunny so I could tell
everyone I roomed with a Playboy bunny.

You're female? Well, that explains a lot. A helluva lot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 8/25/2018 8:46 PM, Logan MacEwens wrote:

The color is for a girl going off to college so the size is some
kind of
long twin but I have no control over that so I didn't ask that here.

The wifey asks for stuff but she doesn't know what she is asking for.
She just knows that is what her friends tell her to buy for kids to
school.

For a kid going to school you want good but cheap.* I have a version of
these on our beds and would be good for school
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...-Set/838733703

I had a roommate who got eye makeup all over her sheet.* Unfortunately
she'd borrowed the sheet from me.

The compansation was that she became a Playboy bunny so I could tell
everyone I roomed with a Playboy bunny.

You're female? Well, that explains a lot. A helluva lot.

How did you come to that conclusion? Some guys have female roomies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 8/25/2018 8:46 PM, Logan MacEwens wrote:

The color is for a girl going off to college so the size is some kind of
long twin but I have no control over that so I didn't ask that here.

The wifey asks for stuff but she doesn't know what she is asking for.
She just knows that is what her friends tell her to buy for kids to school.

For a kid going to school you want good but cheap.* I have a version of
these on our beds and would be good for school
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...-Set/838733703

I had a roommate who got eye makeup all over her sheet. Unfortunately
she'd borrowed the sheet from me.

The compansation was that she became a Playboy bunny so I could tell
everyone I roomed with a Playboy bunny.

You're female? Well, that explains a lot. A helluva lot.

How did you come to that conclusion?* Some guys have female roomies.

Why would any sane guy put up with a female roomie unless he had frequent benefits?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 11:41:39 -0400, John Blutarsky
wrote:

Why would any sane guy put up with a female roomie unless he had frequent benefits?

Money is one reason; regardless of "benefits".

Everything revolves around the dollar $
--
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I’ll kill you all." Gen James Mattis
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I suppose... I had one once but if there was any makeup on the sheets I
helped her put it there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dick Sheets posted for all of us...

[...]

I like the sheets from of all places; LL Bean.

--
Tekkie