Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Unwarp wood

Is there a way to unwarp a piece of 20 x 20" piece of 1/8" inch thick piece of plywood.

I trying wetting one side and weighing it down with weights.

Thanks,
Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/2018 9:59 AM, Andy wrote:
Is there a way to unwarp a piece of 20 x 20" piece of 1/8" inch thick piece of plywood.

I trying wetting one side and weighing it down with weights.

Thanks,
Andy

Chances are slim to none.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/2018 1:28 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 8/19/2018 9:59 AM, Andy wrote:
Is there a way to unwarp a piece of 20 x 20" piece of 1/8" inch thick
piece of plywood.

I trying wetting one side and weighing it down with weights.

Thanks,
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Andy

Chances are slim to none.

I've seen shows where the steam wood for a while to make it pliable.
Piece this small may not be worth the effort.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/2018 9:59 AM, Andy wrote:
Is there a way to unwarp a piece of 20 x 20" piece of 1/8" inch thick
piece of plywood.

I trying wetting one side and weighing it down with weights.

Thanks,
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Andy

Chances are slim to none.

I've seen shows where the steam wood for a while to make it pliable.
Piece this small may not be worth the effort.

You may be right. Maybe I can straighten it out some by adding
a frame to it?

I will be using it to make a door for a cabinet.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/2018 9:59 AM, Andy wrote:
Is there a way to unwarp a piece of 20 x 20" piece of 1/8" inch thick
piece of plywood.

I trying wetting one side and weighing it down with weights.

Thanks,
********* Andy

Chances are slim to none.

I've seen shows where the steam wood for a while to make it pliable.
Piece this small may not be worth the effort.

OP is talking about plywood. Chances of success is about the same as
a fart in a space suit. IMO.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/2018 9:59 AM, Andy wrote:
Is there a way to unwarp a piece of 20 x 20" piece of 1/8" inch thick
piece of plywood.
I trying wetting one side and weighing it down with weights.
Thanks,
********* Andy

Chances are slim to none.

I've seen shows where the steam wood for a while to make it pliable.
Piece this small may not be worth the effort.

You may be right. Maybe I can straighten it out some by adding
a frame to it?
I will be using it to make a door for a cabinet.
Andy

1/8 inch ply for a cabinet door .. OK. if you say so.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/18 8:59 AM, Andy wrote:
Is there a way to unwarp a piece of 20 x 20" piece of 1/8" inch thick piece of plywood.

I trying wetting one side and weighing it down with weights.

Thanks,
Andy

What about gluing it to a sturdier piece of 1/2" or so? You'll
need a stronger
piece for a door anyhow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 19, 2018 at 2:18:17 PM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 8/19/18 8:59 AM, Andy wrote:
Is there a way to unwarp a piece of 20 x 20" piece of 1/8" inch thick piece of plywood.

I trying wetting one side and weighing it down with weights.

Thanks,
Andy

What about gluing it to a sturdier piece of 1/2" or so? You'll
need a stronger
piece for a door anyhow.

It's just a small door, nothing load bearing.

I may but a frame around it to stiffen it up.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/2018 9:59 AM, Andy wrote:
Is there a way to unwarp a piece of 20 x 20" piece of 1/8" inch thick
piece of plywood.
I trying wetting one side and weighing it down with weights.
Thanks,
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Andy

Chances are slim to none.

I've seen shows where the steam wood for a while to make it pliable.
Piece this small may not be worth the effort.

You may be right. Maybe I can straighten it out some by adding
a frame to it?
I will be using it to make a door for a cabinet.
Andy

1/8 inch ply for a cabinet door .. OK. if you say so.
John T.

You and orem don't have anything positive to say.

:-)

To be occasionally expected in un-moderated group.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/2018 9:59 AM, Andy wrote:
Is there a way to unwarp a piece of 20 x 20" piece of 1/8" inch thick
piece of plywood.
I trying wetting one side and weighing it down with weights.
Thanks,
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Andy

Chances are slim to none.
I've seen shows where the steam wood for a while to make it pliable.
Piece this small may not be worth the effort.
You may be right. Maybe I can straighten it out some by adding
a frame to it?
I will be using it to make a door for a cabinet.
Andy

1/8 inch ply for a cabinet door .. OK. if you say so.
John T.

You and orem don't have anything positive to say.

:-)

To be occasionally expected in un-moderated group.

Â* What kind of door ? If this is for a camper or other application that
needs light weight , OK . If it's for a cabinet in your house , go buy a
piece of 1/4" for the door . (I'm a retired Master Cabinetmaker ...)

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/2018 9:59 AM, Andy wrote:
Is there a way to unwarp a piece of 20 x 20" piece of 1/8" inch thick
piece of plywood.
I trying wetting one side and weighing it down with weights.
Thanks,
********* Andy

Chances are slim to none.

I've seen shows where the steam wood for a while to make it pliable.
Piece this small may not be worth the effort.

You may be right. Maybe I can straighten it out some by adding
a frame to it?
I will be using it to make a door for a cabinet.
Andy

1/8 inch ply for a cabinet door .. OK. if you say so.
John T.

You and orem don't have anything positive to say.

:-)

To be occasionally expected in un-moderated group.

You want to take a warp out of small piece of plywood. I had
something to say. Go for it. Take the warp out, made a door; get back
to me later.

Did it even cross your mind to get a new cut 20x20x1/8 inch piece of
plywood. Build the door?

Is this you Jim T. from Texas?
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Weight ? really !
.... maybe if we're building a model air craft ..
.. but - a small cabinet door ?
... must have spec'd those hinges pretty close ! :-)
Sorry for being " negative " .. but it's difficult to avoid
sarcasm on certain threads ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/2018 4:16 PM, wrote:
[...]

Â* John , my 25 foot camping trailer weighs only 2400 lbs dry . They do
that with stuff like bonded foam/plywood construction - and they use
1/8" ply panels on the inside , fiberglass on the out . The doors all
have very nice solid oak frames - and 1/8" plywood panels . Floor panels
use 1/4" - and we were warned that high heels could pierce them . Do a
little research next time instead of spouting off about things you know
nothing about .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/2018 9:59 AM, Andy wrote:
[...]

I have seen plenty of warped 1/4 inch plywood in the stores.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 16:32:50 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 8/19/2018 4:16 PM, wrote:
[...]

OK I give up. I stand duly chastized ...
Let the engineers run the weight difference between
a 20 x 20 inch piece of 1/8 and 1/4 - and then
apply it to the little cabinet door ... duh.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/2018 9:59 AM, Andy wrote:
[...]

My late friend G. was a master carpenter and cabinet maker. His was all learned through experience and going to work in a cabinet shop when he was a young kid. He started off sweeping floors and learned from the old guys in the shop. It was amazing what he could build with wood. He didn't make it to 80 because he couldn't put the damn cigarettes down. He lost a lung to lung cancer but hid his smoking from his wife and those of us who cared about him. He had other stuff in his lungs too like fine sawdust that had been there for years of working without a respirator when one was needed. I guess there was no such thing as a dust mask when he started out as a kid in the cabinet shop in the early 1940's. Some of what was stuck in his lungs had probably been there since he was a kid. It was a real shame to lose a friend like that. He lived long enough to enjoy a grandchild. He would carry her around with him all the time and the tiny girl loved her grandfather. It demonstrates that it's not just you who's hurt when you do bad things to yourself that you know can kill you. It turns out he was also smoking marijuana which probably helped him cope with his cancer and treatment for it but it didn't do his remaining lung any good. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Dusty Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/2018 9:59 AM, Andy wrote:
[...]

It is always a good idea to wear a dust mask when working with
particulates that may be in the air. Asbestos is the worst as particles
will get stuck in the lungs and it is inert. Sawdust OTOH is swept out
by cilia in the lungs and is not as much of a problem. I have a box of
cheap disposable dust masks that I use.

Back when I quit smoking I recall there were 50,000 deaths per year in
the US from both car accidents and smoking. Today auto deaths are about
35,000 per year and lung cancer above 150,000 per year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/2018 6:08 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 16:32:50 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 8/19/2018 4:16 PM,
wrote:
[...]

Â* An ounce here , an ounce there , coupla pounds somewhere else , it
all adds up .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

On 8/19/2018 9:59 AM, Andy wrote:
Is there a way to unwarp a piece of 20 x 20" piece of 1/8" inch thick
piece of plywood.

I trying wetting one side and weighing it down with weights.

Thanks,
********* Andy

Chances are slim to none.

I've seen shows where the steam wood for a while to make it pliable.
Piece this small may not be worth the effort.

OP is talking about plywood. Chances of success is about the same as
a fart in a space suit. IMO.

This is Andy. In his usual style he has already responded negatively to
several posters.

On the plus side this is actually on topic for this group.

IMHO I would bag using the old piece and buy a new one.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

On 8/19/2018 9:59 AM, Andy wrote:
Is there a way to unwarp a piece of 20 x 20" piece of 1/8" inch thick
piece of plywood.

I trying wetting one side and weighing it down with weights.

Thanks,
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Andy

Chances are slim to none.

I've seen shows where the steam wood for a while to make it pliable.
Piece this small may not be worth the effort.

OP is talking about plywood. Chances of success is about the same as
a fart in a space suit. IMO.

This is Andy. In his usual style he has already responded negatively to
several posters.

On the plus side this is actually on topic for this group.

IMHO I would bag using the old piece and buy a new one.

--
Tekkie

Not negative.

Merely responding to unhelpful responses.

If you can't say something positive, you shouldn't respond at all.

John Doe :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not negative.
Merely responding to unhelpful responses.
If you can't say something positive, you shouldn't respond at all.

OK I won't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/2018 9:59 AM, Andy wrote:
[...]

In a cabinet shop, a lot of what is sawn is countertop material and I'm not sure what that stuff is made of. They score and snap a lot of it but it's often trimmed with a router. I think some of it has mica in it. Of course, I could spend a bit of time looking it up but I feel lazy right now. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Counter Monster