Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Unwarp wood

On Sunday, August 19, 2018 at 3:29:37 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 8/19/2018 3:15 PM, Andy wrote:
On Sunday, August 19, 2018 at 1:57:21 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 11:30:29 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

On Sunday, August 19, 2018 at 1:25:55 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On 8/19/2018 1:28 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 8/19/2018 9:59 AM, Andy wrote:
Is there a way to unwarp a piece of 20 x 20" piece of 1/8" inch thick
piece of plywood.
I trying wetting one side and weighing it down with weights.
Thanks,
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Andy

Chances are slim to none.
I've seen shows where the steam wood for a while to make it pliable.
Piece this small may not be worth the effort.
You may be right. Maybe I can straighten it out some by adding
a frame to it?
I will be using it to make a door for a cabinet.
Andy

1/8 inch ply for a cabinet door .. OK. if you say so.
John T.

You and orem don't have anything positive to say.

:-)

To be occasionally expected in un-moderated group.

Â* What kind of door ? If this is for a camper or other application that
needs light weight , OK . If it's for a cabinet in your house , go buy a
piece of 1/4" for the door . (I'm a retired Master Cabinetmaker ...)
--
Snag

My late friend G. was a master carpenter and cabinet maker. His was all learned through experience and going to work in a cabinet shop when he was a young kid. He started off sweeping floors and learned from the old guys in the shop. It was amazing what he could build with wood. He didn't make it to 80 because he couldn't put the damn cigarettes down. He lost a lung to lung cancer but hid his smoking from his wife and those of us who cared about him. He had other stuff in his lungs too like fine sawdust that had been there for years of working without a respirator when one was needed. I guess there was no such thing as a dust mask when he started out as a kid in the cabinet shop in the early 1940's. Some of what was stuck in his lungs had probably been there since he was a kid. It was a real shame to lose a friend like that. He lived long enough to enjoy a grandchild. He would carry her around with him all the time and the tiny girl loved her grandfather. It demonstrates that it's not just you who's hurt when you do bad things to yourself that you know can kill you. It turns out he was also smoking marijuana which probably helped him cope with his cancer and treatment for it but it didn't do his remaining lung any good. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Dusty Monster