Mike Barnard

Default Unwarp a warped door?

Hi all.

I put a B&Q cheapie door in our bathroom a few weeks ago. It's one
that has two glass panels in it's top half.

Before I installed it it was left on the landing next to the bathroom
for a few weeks, unwrapped, to try and let it acclimatise. However,
it's still warped somewhat. The top lockside of the door bends in to
the bathroom by about two inches.

I could just adjust the trim on the doorframe to match, but I'd like
to know if I can (easily and inexpensively of course!) straighten the
door first.

All ideas gratefully recieved. Thanks.

--
Regards from Mike Barnard
South Coast, UK.

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]
Newshound

The top lockside of the door bends in to
the bathroom by about two inches.

Trim 2 inches off the door frame! Really? I had a similar problem with a
Wickes cheapie "victorian, it's about 10 mm out but will pull in and close.
I hoped that keeping it closed would encourage it back to shape, but no
change.

John Anderton

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:21:33 +0000, Mike Barnard
wrote:

Hi all.

I put a B&Q cheapie door in our bathroom a few weeks ago. It's one
that has two glass panels in it's top half.

Before I installed it it was left on the landing next to the bathroom
for a few weeks, unwrapped, to try and let it acclimatise. However,
it's still warped somewhat. The top lockside of the door bends in to
the bathroom by about two inches.

I could just adjust the trim on the doorframe to match, but I'd like
to know if I can (easily and inexpensively of course!) straighten the
door first.

All ideas gratefully recieved. Thanks.

The only thing I can think of is to take it down, dampen it, then
place it on a flat surface, weight it down well and leave it to dry
out thoroughly.

If you're lucky the dampness will soften the wood enough for the
weights to force it flat after which you can paint/varnish/wax it to
prevent it getting damp again.

Cheers,

John
Zip 1

wrote:

Hi all.

I put a B&Q cheapie door in our bathroom a few weeks ago. It's one
that has two glass panels in it's top half.

Before I installed it it was left on the landing next to the bathroom
for a few weeks, unwrapped, to try and let it acclimatise. However,
it's still warped somewhat. The top lockside of the door bends in to
the bathroom by about two inches.

I could just adjust the trim on the doorframe to match, but I'd like
to know if I can (easily and inexpensively of course!) straighten the
door first.

All ideas gratefully recieved. Thanks.

I put mine in a place that had had the de-humidifier drying the air
and it fixed the problem. But the problem was nearer 2mm than 2 inch.

I think your supposed to paint/varnish the door as soon as its
unwrapped to prevent warping or expanding too big for the frame.
Plenty of people around here will say take it back for refund. If you
do, obviously dont mention you left it to "acclimatise".

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mike Barnard wrote:
I could just adjust the trim on the doorframe to match, but I'd like
to know if I can (easily and inexpensively of course!) straighten the
door first.

I'd say no. Take it back for a refund. They're usually made in such a way
as they shouldn't warp under normal circumstances.

--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
nightjar

"Mike Barnard" wrote in message
Hi all.

I put a B&Q cheapie door in our bathroom a few weeks ago. It's one
that has two glass panels in it's top half.

Before I installed it it was left on the landing next to the bathroom
for a few weeks, unwrapped, to try and let it acclimatise. However,
it's still warped somewhat. The top lockside of the door bends in to
the bathroom by about two inches.

I could just adjust the trim on the doorframe to match, but I'd like
to know if I can (easily and inexpensively of course!) straighten the
door first.

All ideas gratefully recieved. Thanks.

The chippy who fitted the pedestrian door to my garage removed about 15mm of
warp at the top by sticking wedges in at the bottom when the door was
closed. It took a few weeks though.

Colin Bignell

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
nightjar wrote:
The chippy who fitted the pedestrian door to my garage removed about
15mm of warp at the top by sticking wedges in at the bottom when the
door was closed. It took a few weeks though.

I tried this with one of my original doors which I didn't want to change.
Removed the paint and soaked it in water, then let it dry under tension.
Some success, but not perfect. As it's one of two into a now through
lounge, I swapped it for the other door, then locked it.

--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
S Almond

They're usually made in such a way
as they shouldn't warp under normal circumstances.

These doors warp if they get damp. Full stop. They're designed to go to 12%
moisture (and have been taken to 18% in the lab) without warping - and
that's not very damp at all. If you've been using the bath or shower, the
air on the corridor side of the door may have reached 20%+. There's no known
cure.
In short, immediately paint 'em on 6 sides (like it says on the
instructions!), or they warp!

Steve Almond

----
It's not what you know, it's what you know about who you know

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
S Almond wrote:
They're usually made in such a way as they shouldn't warp under normal
circumstances.

These doors warp if they get damp. Full stop. They're designed to go to
12% moisture (and have been taken to 18% in the lab) without warping -
and that's not very damp at all. If you've been using the bath or
shower, the air on the corridor side of the door may have reached 20%+.
There's no known cure. In short, immediately paint 'em on 6 sides (like
it says on the instructions!), or they warp!

Yes if it's of traditional construction. But these days it's often cheaper
to make the door out of 'plywood' or blockboard with a plain veneer rather
than solid timber which will be far less susceptible to warping.

--
*I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast *