Posted to alt.home.repair
GOM GOM is offline

Default Garage door opener broken

Garage Door wont work. Motor grinds but the chain/retracting cable
does not move. Unit is a Chamberlain security 1/2 horse power.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...n-1170551-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/15/2018 6:14 PM, GOM wrote:
Garage Door wont work. Motor grinds but the chain/retracting cable
does not move. Unit is a Chamberlain security 1/2 horse power.

you need to replace the gears in it, get the model number & lookup the
parts, they usually have a kit like this for it:

https://www.gatehousesupplies.com/Pr...yABEgLbbvD_BwE
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/15/2018 6:14 PM, GOM wrote:
Garage Door wont work. Motor grinds but the chain/retracting cable
does not move. Unit is a Chamberlain security 1/2 horse power.

Thank you for sharing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you disconnect the opener at the door, can you manually open the door? Something must be holding it down causing the gear problems, but if it won't open easily manually, the new opener parts will be immediately shot to hell.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/15/18 6:14 PM, GOM wrote:
Garage Door wont work. Motor grinds but the chain/retracting cable
does not move. Unit is a Chamberlain security 1/2 horse power.

Are the door's counterweight springs intact?

If one or both failed, the unsprung weight of the door exceeds the
motor's lift capacity and it may grind- or just lock up.

--
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
willing to work and give to those who would not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 8:51:47 AM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 7/15/18 6:14 PM, GOM wrote:
Garage Door wont work. Motor grinds but the chain/retracting cable
does not move. Unit is a Chamberlain security 1/2 horse power.

Are the door's counterweight springs intact?

If one or both failed, the unsprung weight of the door exceeds the
motor's lift capacity and it may grind- or just lock up.

Any ones made in at least the last several decades should trip, reverse, stop,
etc, but not grind because they have force sensors. Like others have said,
if the door is not freely moving and balanced it could cause the mechanism
to wear out prematurely, but it shouldn't cause it to not move and make
stripped gear noises.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 08:51:42 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

AMEN!
--
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

Benjamin Franklin
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

AMEN!

Can't fix stupid. -Judge Judy

Put your big boy pants on + many more. -Judge Jeanine Pirro

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 7/15/18 6:14 PM, GOM wrote:
Garage Door wont work. Motor grinds but the chain/retracting cable
does not move. Unit is a Chamberlain security 1/2 horse power.

Are the door's counterweight springs intact?

If one or both failed, the unsprung weight of the door exceeds the
motor's lift capacity and it may grind- or just lock up.

The parts are nylon, lubricated with cheap grease. The grease
hardens. The nylon cristalizes. The gears fail.
Common occurence, with no spring failures required.
Putting new grease in occaisionally will slow down the failure "a
bit"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

AMEN!

But, he never said that. Typical Trumpie fake news.

http://www.businessinsider.com/thoma...made-up-2013-9
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
willing to work and give to those who would not.
*********************** - Thomas Jefferson

AMEN!

But, he never said that. Typical Trumpie fake news.

http://www.businessinsider.com/thoma...made-up-2013-9

No, actually he did. I was there and heard him say it.

The Hildebeest and her minions noticeably shuddered.

Obammy and his claque immediately began trying to organize the
marginalized and disenfranchised folks standing uncomfortably on the
periphery of the gathering.

--
If the government gives you a free college education youll have to be
fitted with a catalytic converter....true story, look it up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

AMEN!

But, he never said that. Typical Trumpie fake news.

The narrative remains the same. Made my bones in real life, not
suckling from the government. Try it sometime.

There has been fake news before Trump. Get over yourself already.

At this point, what difference does it make?!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

AMEN!

Can't fix stupid. -Judge Judy

Put your big boy pants on + many more. -Judge Jeanine Pirro

Actually, IIRC she said "panties".

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

AMEN!

But, he never said that. Typical Trumpie fake news.

The narrative remains the same. Made my bones in real life, not
suckling from the government. Try it sometime.

There has been fake news before Trump. Get over yourself already.

At this point, what difference does it make?!!

People trying to make their case by making up quotes by Jefferson is
just wrong. I know Republitards have no morals, but someone needs to
call them on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 15:25:37 -0400, Tekkie

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

AMEN!

Can't fix stupid. -Judge Judy

Put your big boy pants on + many more. -Judge Jeanine Pirro

Actually, IIRC she said "panties".

I won't argue with you. They are the same for those critters.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who
are
willing to work and give to those who would not.
*********************** - Thomas Jefferson

AMEN!

But, he never said that. Typical Trumpie fake news.

The narrative remains the same. Made my bones in real life, not
suckling from the government. Try it sometime.

There has been fake news before Trump. Get over yourself already.

At this point, what difference does it make?!!

People trying to make their case by making up quotes by Jefferson is
just wrong. I know Republitards have no morals, but someone needs to
call them on it.

The quote is widely attributed to Jefferson. In fact though, it's just a
paraphrased one-liner that summarizes/expresses what he expressed in a
lengthy article.

Thanks to the libtard-driven dumb-down of our once world-leading
education system, a one liner is the most many can understand and retain
these days.

--
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.
- @chuckwoolery
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You must be kidding. From the polls, the man in the street interviews,
most Americans can't name the sec of state, VP, three branches of govt.
They couldn't pass the citizenship test. So, I think it;s much worse
than not getting some quotes from 250 years ago right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

AMEN!

But, he never said that. Typical Trumpie fake news.

The narrative remains the same. Made my bones in real life, not
suckling from the government. Try it sometime.

There has been fake news before Trump. Get over yourself already.

At this point, what difference does it make?!!

People trying to make their case by making up quotes by Jefferson is
just wrong. I know Republitards have no morals, but someone needs to
call them on it.

The country needs more of those angelic Commiecrats. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Devilish Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Trumpies seem to be really badly affected by that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You think that making up quotes to serve your politics builds good
citizenship?