DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Garage door opener broken (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/614808-garage-door-opener-broken.html)

GOM July 15th 18 11:14 PM

Garage door opener broken

Garage Door wont work. Motor grinds but the chain/retracting cable
does not move. Unit is a Chamberlain security 1/2 horse power.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...n-1170551-.htm

BQ340 July 15th 18 11:23 PM

Garage door opener broken

On 7/15/2018 6:14 PM, GOM wrote:
Garage Door wont work. Motor grinds but the chain/retracting cable
does not move. Unit is a Chamberlain security 1/2 horse power.

you need to replace the gears in it, get the model number & lookup the
parts, they usually have a kit like this for it:

https://www.gatehousesupplies.com/Pr...yABEgLbbvD_BwE

Man Boobs July 16th 18 12:53 AM

Garage door opener broken

On 7/15/2018 6:14 PM, GOM wrote:
Garage Door wont work. Motor grinds but the chain/retracting cable
does not move. Unit is a Chamberlain security 1/2 horse power.

Thank you for sharing.

[email protected] July 16th 18 02:08 AM

Garage door opener broken

If you disconnect the opener at the door, can you manually open the door? Something must be holding it down causing the gear problems, but if it won't open easily manually, the new opener parts will be immediately shot to hell.

Clare Snyder July 16th 18 03:54 AM

Garage door opener broken

On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 18:08:45 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

If you disconnect the opener at the door, can you manually open the door? Something must be holding it down causing the gear problems, but if it won't open easily manually, the new opener parts will be immediately shot to hell.

The parts DO wear out. I've rebuilt a handfull of them over the years
- all well over 10 years old - and have never rebuilt the same one
twice.

Art Todesco July 16th 18 01:13 PM

Garage door opener broken

On 7/15/2018 10:54 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 18:08:45 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

If you disconnect the opener at the door, can you manually open the door? Something must be holding it down causing the gear problems, but if it won't open easily manually, the new opener parts will be immediately shot to hell.

The parts DO wear out. I've rebuilt a handfull of them over the years
- all well over 10 years old - and have never rebuilt the same one
twice.

I helped my son fix his unit. They had a parts kit of "frequently
needed" stuff, mostly plastic gears, that did the trick. OP should
verify if the springs broke, causing said problem.

Wade Garrett July 16th 18 01:51 PM

Garage door opener broken

On 7/15/18 6:14 PM, GOM wrote:
Garage Door wont work. Motor grinds but the chain/retracting cable
does not move. Unit is a Chamberlain security 1/2 horse power.

Are the door's counterweight springs intact?

If one or both failed, the unsprung weight of the door exceeds the
motor's lift capacity and it may grind- or just lock up.

--
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
willing to work and give to those who would not.

trader_4 July 16th 18 03:58 PM

Garage door opener broken

On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 8:51:47 AM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 7/15/18 6:14 PM, GOM wrote:
Garage Door wont work. Motor grinds but the chain/retracting cable
does not move. Unit is a Chamberlain security 1/2 horse power.

Are the door's counterweight springs intact?

If one or both failed, the unsprung weight of the door exceeds the
motor's lift capacity and it may grind- or just lock up.

Any ones made in at least the last several decades should trip, reverse, stop,
etc, but not grind because they have force sensors. Like others have said,
if the door is not freely moving and balanced it could cause the mechanism
to wear out prematurely, but it shouldn't cause it to not move and make
stripped gear noises.

Oren[_2_] July 16th 18 07:01 PM

Garage door opener broken

On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 08:51:42 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

AMEN!
--
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

Benjamin Franklin

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= July 16th 18 08:25 PM

Garage door opener broken

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

AMEN!

Can't fix stupid. -Judge Judy

Put your big boy pants on + many more. -Judge Jeanine Pirro

--
Tekkie

Clare Snyder July 17th 18 01:13 AM

Garage door opener broken

wrote:

On 7/15/18 6:14 PM, GOM wrote:
Garage Door wont work. Motor grinds but the chain/retracting cable
does not move. Unit is a Chamberlain security 1/2 horse power.

Are the door's counterweight springs intact?

If one or both failed, the unsprung weight of the door exceeds the
motor's lift capacity and it may grind- or just lock up.

The parts are nylon, lubricated with cheap grease. The grease
hardens. The nylon cristalizes. The gears fail.
Common occurence, with no spring failures required.
Putting new grease in occaisionally will slow down the failure "a
bit"

Bob F July 17th 18 03:42 AM

Garage door opener broken

wrote:

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

AMEN!

But, he never said that. Typical Trumpie fake news.

http://www.businessinsider.com/thoma...made-up-2013-9

Wade Garrett July 17th 18 02:44 PM

Garage door opener broken

wrote:

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
willing to work and give to those who would not.
*********************** - Thomas Jefferson

AMEN!

But, he never said that. Typical Trumpie fake news.

http://www.businessinsider.com/thoma...made-up-2013-9

No, actually he did. I was there and heard him say it.

The Hildebeest and her minions noticeably shuddered.

Obammy and his claque immediately began trying to organize the
marginalized and disenfranchised folks standing uncomfortably on the
periphery of the gathering.

--
If the government gives you a free college education youll have to be
fitted with a catalytic converter....true story, look it up.

Oren[_2_] July 17th 18 05:11 PM

Garage door opener broken

wrote:

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

AMEN!

But, he never said that. Typical Trumpie fake news.

The narrative remains the same. Made my bones in real life, not
suckling from the government. Try it sometime.

There has been fake news before Trump. Get over yourself already.

At this point, what difference does it make?!!

Oren[_2_] July 17th 18 05:15 PM

Garage door opener broken

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

AMEN!

Can't fix stupid. -Judge Judy

Put your big boy pants on + many more. -Judge Jeanine Pirro

Actually, IIRC she said "panties".

Bob F July 17th 18 06:17 PM

Garage door opener broken

wrote:

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

AMEN!

But, he never said that. Typical Trumpie fake news.

The narrative remains the same. Made my bones in real life, not
suckling from the government. Try it sometime.

There has been fake news before Trump. Get over yourself already.

At this point, what difference does it make?!!

People trying to make their case by making up quotes by Jefferson is
just wrong. I know Republitards have no morals, but someone needs to
call them on it.

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= July 17th 18 07:13 PM

Garage door opener broken

Oren posted for all of us...

On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 15:25:37 -0400, Tekkie

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

AMEN!

Can't fix stupid. -Judge Judy

Put your big boy pants on + many more. -Judge Jeanine Pirro

Actually, IIRC she said "panties".

I won't argue with you. They are the same for those critters.

--
Tekkie

Wade Garrett July 17th 18 11:57 PM

Garage door opener broken

wrote:

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who
are
willing to work and give to those who would not.
*********************** - Thomas Jefferson

AMEN!

But, he never said that. Typical Trumpie fake news.

The narrative remains the same. Made my bones in real life, not
suckling from the government. Try it sometime.

There has been fake news before Trump. Get over yourself already.

At this point, what difference does it make?!!

People trying to make their case by making up quotes by Jefferson is
just wrong. I know Republitards have no morals, but someone needs to
call them on it.

The quote is widely attributed to Jefferson. In fact though, it's just a
paraphrased one-liner that summarizes/expresses what he expressed in a
lengthy article.

Thanks to the libtard-driven dumb-down of our once world-leading
education system, a one liner is the most many can understand and retain
these days.

--
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.
- @chuckwoolery

trader_4 July 18th 18 12:06 AM

Garage door opener broken

wrote:

[...]

You must be kidding. From the polls, the man in the street interviews,
most Americans can't name the sec of state, VP, three branches of govt.
They couldn't pass the citizenship test. So, I think it;s much worse
than not getting some quotes from 250 years ago right.

Uncle Monster[_2_] July 18th 18 12:13 AM

Garage door opener broken

wrote:

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

AMEN!

But, he never said that. Typical Trumpie fake news.

The narrative remains the same. Made my bones in real life, not
suckling from the government. Try it sometime.

There has been fake news before Trump. Get over yourself already.

At this point, what difference does it make?!!

People trying to make their case by making up quotes by Jefferson is
just wrong. I know Republitards have no morals, but someone needs to
call them on it.

The country needs more of those angelic Commiecrats. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Devilish Monster

Bob F July 18th 18 05:59 AM

Garage door opener broken

wrote:

[...]

Trumpies seem to be really badly affected by that.

Bob F July 18th 18 06:01 AM

Garage door opener broken

wrote:

[...]

You think that making up quotes to serve your politics builds good
citizenship?