Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Garage door opener broken

On 7/15/2018 10:54 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 18:08:45 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

If you disconnect the opener at the door, can you manually open the door? Something must be holding it down causing the gear problems, but if it won't open easily manually, the new opener parts will be immediately shot to hell.

The parts DO wear out. I've rebuilt a handfull of them over the years
- all well over 10 years old - and have never rebuilt the same one
twice.

I helped my son fix his unit. They had a parts kit of "frequently
needed" stuff, mostly plastic gears, that did the trick. OP should
verify if the springs broke, causing said problem.