Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do you dissolve limescale in pvc pipes?

We have very hard water and some of our pvc pipes are developing limescale
buildup. what is the best way to dissolve this?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...s-1169341-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 00:44:01 GMT, Steve
m wrote:

We have very hard water and some of our pvc pipes are developing limescale
buildup. what is the best way to dissolve this?

Sorry - I can't offer any help.
But I know what HARD water is - I grew up on a poor well
in a limestone bed.

1. dripping taps / minor leaks will cause faster
build-up . seems obvious ..

2. Worry about the water heater - we could hardly
_ move__ the lime-filled old water heater
from Mom's house .. solid clogged !

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/21/2018 8:44 PM, Steve wrote:
We have very hard water and some of our pvc pipes are developing limescale
buildup.Â* what is the best way to dissolve this?

You need something like CLR but the problem is how to get it into the
pipes to soak. It is probably easier to replace them and put in a
softener for the whole house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

We have very hard water and some of our pvc pipes are developing limescale
buildup. what is the best way to dissolve this?

If it is all PVC, drain the system, cap the pipe at each fixture, fill
it with muriatic acid from the highest point, take a nap and flush it
out tomorrow from the lowest point. It will be clean as a whistle.
Just be aware this will bubble up a might so be careful.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/21/2018 06:44 PM, Steve wrote:
We have very hard water and some of our pvc pipes are developing limescale
buildup. what is the best way to dissolve this?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ver-acid-rinse

It's phosphoric acid with some added surfactants. If you don't live in
farm country, phosphoric acid is in the masonry section of Home Depot etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

We have very hard water and some of our pvc pipes are developing limescale
buildup. what is the best way to dissolve this?

If it is all PVC, drain the system, cap the pipe at each fixture, fill
it with muriatic acid from the highest point, take a nap and flush it
out tomorrow from the lowest point. It will be clean as a whistle.
Just be aware this will bubble up a might so be careful.

It all being PVC is key there. What about valve stems in sinks, toilet
components, etc? And getting it in, making sure it gets
where it needs to go could be an issue too. I'd dilute it to about 10%
or so too. Personally, I'd be OK with using it, but if he wants something
that's food grade, he could use vinegar or citric acid.

What will dissolve hair, but not hurt pipes? Dave Home Repair 16 November 12th 17 03:44 AM
How do I dissolve and clean burned sugar from an enamelled metal surface? Peter UK diy 12 September 18th 05 09:58 PM
What is dissolve mean??? param UK diy 32 September 7th 05 06:33 PM
best chemical to dissolve aluminum? williamhenry Metalworking 8 February 17th 05 05:48 AM
dishwasher - soap doesn't dissolve KD Home Repair 8 January 18th 05 04:50 AM