Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What will dissolve hair, but not hurt pipes?

Hey people, got this problem with the tub drain, and am wodering what I can
use on it. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks much

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 08:03:07 -0700, Dave wrote:

Hey people, got this problem with the tub drain, and am wodering what I
can
use on it. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks much

Dave

plastic pipes? you can use extreme lye, or pure bleach. metal pipes? use a
router.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/30/2014 11:03 AM, Dave wrote:
Hey people, got this problem with the tub drain, and am wodering what I can
use on it. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks much

Dave

Commercial cleaners, acid or caustic will not hurt pipes.
My tub did get so bad once that I had to use router which would not work
for me and I got a plumber. I should have looked on line for
instructions on tub as drains are not what one might suspect.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Dave" wrote:

Hey people, got this problem with the tub drain, and am wodering what I can
use on it. Any help is appreciated.

Dave-

I tried chemical drain cleaners with limited success. Then I found a
Peerless "Zip-It" drain cleaner that worked very well. I use it about
once a year. In just a few minutes you are done. There is no waiting
for chemicals to dissolve anything!

Take a look at
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Peerless-Zip-It-Drain-Cleaning-Tool/17043687
and http://zipitclean.com/. There may be others.

Fred
Posted to alt.home.repair

| Hey people, got this problem with the tub drain, and am wodering what I
can
| use on it. Any help is appreciated.

Snake it, or if the hair is caught in the drain
plug you might be able to get it with a wire
or coat hanger. Using strong chemicals is only
a solution on TV.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave" writes:

Hey people, got this problem with the tub drain, and am wodering what I can
use on it. Any help is appreciated.

Tub drains are hard to snake, but if you are persistent...

I lived with a tub drain that was slow for years.
Tried all the pour in cleaners and never got anywhere.
After many fruitless attempts, I finally got a snake to turn the various
corners and got some of the junk out. You go in through the overflow
opening.

When we finally had the bathroom remodeled, I had as much of the
galvanized replaced with PVC as I could. The galvanized pipe was just
filled with crud, not much hair at all. I think that's why the
snake was more effective, it was knocking some of the crud out
of the pipe.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/30/2014 11:25 AM, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,
"Dave" wrote:

Hey people, got this problem with the tub drain, and am wodering what I can
use on it. Any help is appreciated.

Dave-

I tried chemical drain cleaners with limited success. Then I found a
Peerless "Zip-It" drain cleaner that worked very well. I use it about
once a year. In just a few minutes you are done. There is no waiting
for chemicals to dissolve anything!

Take a look at
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Peerless-Zip-It-Drain-Cleaning-Tool/17043687
and http://zipitclean.com/. There may be others.

Second the Zip-It recommendation. They work very well and are very
inexpensive. Everybody should keep a couple of these on hand for quick
drain maintenance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave" wrote:

Hey people, got this problem with the tub drain, and am wodering what I can

use on it. Any help is appreciated.

Dave-

I tried chemical drain cleaners with limited success. Then I found a

Peerless "Zip-It" drain cleaner that worked very well. I use it about

once a year. In just a few minutes you are done. There is no waiting

for chemicals to dissolve anything!

Take a look at

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Peerless-Zip-It-Drain-Cleaning-Tool/17043687

and http://zipitclean.com/. There may be others.

Second the Zip-It recommendation. They work very well and are very

inexpensive. Everybody should keep a couple of these on hand for quick

drain maintenance.

IDK about the zip it, no experience there. But I agree with the part
about chemical drain cleaners not working. I've used a variety of them
over the years and I can't think of a single case where they solved the
problem. Theoretically, Draino or similar would probably eat up hair, but
in reality, what's in there is a gunk made up of soap, hair, grease, etc
and in my experience, the chemical drain cleaners don't work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 12:25:49 -0400, Fred McKenzie
wrote:

In article ,
"Dave" wrote:

Hey people, got this problem with the tub drain, and am wodering what I can
use on it. Any help is appreciated.

Dave-

I tried chemical drain cleaners with limited success. Then I found a
Peerless "Zip-It" drain cleaner that worked very well. I use it about
once a year. In just a few minutes you are done. There is no waiting
for chemicals to dissolve anything!

Take a look at
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Peerless-Zip-It-Drain-Cleaning-Tool/17043687
and http://zipitclean.com/. There may be others.

Fred

Those work good. A lot easier than cleaning the trap and snaking - if
it's hair that's causing the problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hey, thank you for all the help, seriously. Ended up pulling out a piece of
pipe and going directly into the line behind the tub with a small snake.
Found a huge clot of hair, which was apparently the problem, as it did drain
once I replaced the afore-mentioned piece of pipe. Was still a little slow
though, and I finally remebered I used to use Crystal Draino with good
success. While I was at the hardware store getting the pipe I looked at
different chemical drain openers, and found one liquid with both sodium
hydroxide and potassium hydroxide, which I had never seen before (Liquid
Fire). That one claimed to damage porcelin etc and was not for use in
toilets. The Crystal Draino just said it contained caustic with stabilizers
and dye, and I suspect it is the same combination of Sodium and Potassium
hydroxide, as that would be a lot "hotter" than just sodium hydroxide by
itself (lye.) Got a can of that and added a couple tablespoons to still a
little slow drain and it worked wonders. Have never seen anything take so
much water without backing up.

So, I've got it working with a little help from the chemical dept, but it
was a crystal product I used rather than any of the pour-in liquids. Never
have trusted any of those. Thanks all for the asstance and encouragment.
Take it easy...

"Dave" wrote in message
Hey people, got this problem with the tub drain, and am wodering what I
can use on it. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks much

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 09:24:11 -0700, Frank
wrote:

On 9/30/2014 11:03 AM, Dave wrote:
Hey people, got this problem with the tub drain, and am wodering what I
can
use on it. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks much

Dave

Commercial cleaners, acid or caustic will not hurt pipes.
My tub did get so bad once that I had to use router which would not work
for me and I got a plumber. I should have looked on line for
instructions on tub as drains are not what one might suspect.

NOT TRUE!!! Drano ate through ?? number of my j-pipes! under the sinks.
until I quit using that @#$#@#$ product.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 10:03:07 -0500, "Dave" wrote
in

Hey people, got this problem with the tub drain, and am wodering what I can
use on it. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks much

Dave

Try one of these:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraf...0400/100665735

they work well if the clog is near the drain opening; which is
probably the case. If it doesn't work, get a roto-rooter type guy to
snake it; or try one of these first:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraf...6250/202755049

Those chemicals don't work well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/30/2014 04:00 PM, CRNG wrote:
On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 10:03:07 -0500, "Dave" wrote
in

Hey people, got this problem with the tub drain, and am wodering what I can
use on it. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks much

Dave

Try one of these:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraf...0400/100665735

they work well if the clog is near the drain opening; which is
probably the case. If it doesn't work, get a roto-rooter type guy to
snake it; or try one of these first:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraf...6250/202755049

Those chemicals don't work well.

Some work better than others, BUT beware of using highly caustic drain
cleaners with brass plumbing fixtures: they dissolve the zinc out.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 10:03:07 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

Hey people, got this problem with the tub drain, and am wodering what I can
use on it. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks much

Dave

I see you have gotten the drain cleared now; however, see eight
methods on _How to Unclog a Bathtub Drain_.

http://www.wikihow.com/Unclog-a-Bathtub-Drain

The wire coat hanger works well, if you go down the pipe with the
overflow cover removed. Or down the drain.

Chuck a wire hanger in a drill, "L" shape tip (hook) at the end.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 10:03:07 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

Hey people, got this problem with the tub drain, and am wodering what I
can
use on it. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks much

Dave

Try Nair, or Neet

Oh wow, what an idea! Thank you!

My best,

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to clare, Velma.Feyes wrote:
Those things never worked on my legs because it is so thick. I will definitely
try in the bathroom sink. Can't hurt right? Thanks for the suggestion.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...es-809527-.htm

What is dissolve mean??? param UK diy 32 September 7th 05 06:33 PM
best chemical to dissolve aluminum? williamhenry Metalworking 8 February 17th 05 05:48 AM
Clearing hair from pipes Nick Drew Home Repair 9 January 14th 05 11:43 AM
wash hair in kitchen sink: disposall does chop up hair, yes? David Combs Home Repair 12 November 30th 04 06:13 AM