Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default What will dissolve hair, but not hurt pipes?

On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 12:54:02 PM UTC-4, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
On 9/30/2014 11:25 AM, Fred McKenzie wrote:

In article ,

"Dave" wrote:

Hey people, got this problem with the tub drain, and am wodering what I can

use on it. Any help is appreciated.

Dave-

I tried chemical drain cleaners with limited success. Then I found a

Peerless "Zip-It" drain cleaner that worked very well. I use it about

once a year. In just a few minutes you are done. There is no waiting

for chemicals to dissolve anything!

Take a look at

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Peerless-Zip-It-Drain-Cleaning-Tool/17043687

and http://zipitclean.com/. There may be others.

Second the Zip-It recommendation. They work very well and are very

inexpensive. Everybody should keep a couple of these on hand for quick

drain maintenance.

IDK about the zip it, no experience there. But I agree with the part
about chemical drain cleaners not working. I've used a variety of them
over the years and I can't think of a single case where they solved the
problem. Theoretically, Draino or similar would probably eat up hair, but
in reality, what's in there is a gunk made up of soap, hair, grease, etc
and in my experience, the chemical drain cleaners don't work.