Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Making a foot bridge, need some help

I am building a foot bridge over a creek. I don't want to try and sink
footers/posts in the creek itself, I am wondering how long a 2x12 can span.
I am able to find 26 foot treated 2x12's locally. If I sandwiched two of them
together on each side of a say a 3 foot wide foot bridge would that work? The
ends of the bridge will be treated 6x6 posts (so 4 total). The span between
posts will almost be the full 26 feet. My question is:

1. is this safe?
2. is the perfect?
3. is this overkill?

Thanks
David

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...p-1168272-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/18 6:44 PM, david wrote:
I am building a foot bridge over a creek. I don't want to try and sink
footers/posts in the creek itself,Â* I am wondering how long a 2x12 can
span. I am able to find 26 foot treated 2x12's locally.Â* If I sandwiched
two of them
together on each side of a say a 3 foot wide foot bridge would that
work?Â* The
ends of the bridge will be treated 6x6 posts (so 4 total).Â* The span
between
posts will almost be the full 26 feet.Â* My question is:

1. is this safe?
2. is the perfect?
3. is this overkill?

Thanks
David

Would a flat truss be a practical alternative?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/2018 7:44 PM, david wrote:
I am building a foot bridge over a creek. I don't want to try and sink
footers/posts in the creek itself,Â* I am wondering how long a 2x12 can
span. I am able to find 26 foot treated 2x12's locally.Â* If I sandwiched
two of them
together on each side of a say a 3 foot wide foot bridge would that
work?Â* The
ends of the bridge will be treated 6x6 posts (so 4 total).Â* The span
between
posts will almost be the full 26 feet.Â* My question is:

1. is this safe?
2. is the perfect?
3. is this overkill?

Thanks
David

I don't know for sure, but you can play with some numbers here and get a
rough idea
http://www.awc.org/codes-standards/c...tware/spancalc

According to this, you need some support, but this may be to drive across.
https://www.askthebuilder.com/bridges-joist-sizing/
If you are going to build a small bridge that spans perhaps 8 feet or
less, I would use 2x8's that are placed 16 inches on center. A span of
12 feet would require 2x10's and spans between 14 and 18 feet would
require 2x12's. Anything over 18 feet would require 4x4 or 6x6 posts mid
span to cut the actual span in half.

If you are thinking of building any bridge with a span greater than 20
feet, you better get a structural engineer involved, plain and simple.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 23:44:02 GMT, david
m wrote:

I am building a foot bridge over a creek. I don't want to try and sink
footers/posts in the creek itself, I am wondering how long a 2x12 can span.
I am able to find 26 foot treated 2x12's locally. If I sandwiched two of them
together on each side of a say a 3 foot wide foot bridge would that work? The
ends of the bridge will be treated 6x6 posts (so 4 total). The span between
posts will almost be the full 26 feet. My question is:

1. is this safe?
2. is the perfect?
3. is this overkill?

Thanks
David

The easy answer is engineered trusses. You can do that with 2x4s in
most cases. The trick is finding someone who can assemble them with
stainless truss plates.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/2018 7:44 PM, david wrote:
I am building a foot bridge over a creek. I don't want to try and sink
footers/posts in the creek itself,Â* I am wondering how long a 2x12 can span. I am able to find 26 foot treated 2x12's locally.Â* If I sandwiched two of them
together on each side of a say a 3 foot wide foot bridge would that work?Â* The
ends of the bridge will be treated 6x6 posts (so 4 total).Â* The span between
posts will almost be the full 26 feet.Â* My question is:

1. is this safe?
2. is the perfect?
3. is this overkill?

Thanks
David

Are you the new contractor for the Florida International University pedestrian bridge repair project?

Anyway, maybe try this design:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbr...blue_sky. jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 8:53:02 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/2/2018 7:44 PM, david wrote:
[...]

Using that span calculator if you build it 3 ft wide, use 12" spacing,
which would be four 2x12, best wood, accept maximum deflection,
minimum loading, it's just barely at the limit at 26 feet. I think
others are right here, there are other better solutions, but they are
likely going to cost more and be more involved. Another factor to
consider is how sound the earth is on either side for the support.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/2018 7:44 PM, david wrote:
[...]

He could always go with a swinging bridge.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Ed%20Labrad...20B%20test.jpg