Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toro Lawnmower Carb Questions Re Cleaning Of ?

Hello,

Thanks for previous help with all of my questions.
Much appreciated.

I have a 10 year old Toro self propelled 22" GTS Lawn Mower. Tecumseh engine.

If I prime it, will run for about 5 seconds; than quits.
Each time the same.
Won't start again, unless re-primed as before.

Probably a gunked up Carb., would be my best guess.

Not too sharp with this kinda "stuff," so please bear with me.

a. I removed the bottom brass screw from the Carb. bowl, and cleaned out the
transvers holes, and also the axial one.

Question: on the top of the screw (the end away from the threads), in the center there
is a bright metallic "dot" or very small round metallic insert. Maybe 1/32 or so of dia.
What is this, please ? Seems to be in very firmly.

b. I ordered a can of Sea Spray cleaner.

Really don't want to have to take the Carb off, if I can help it.

Can I get to most, or all, of the ports, etc. from the Carb bottom now that the bowl is off ?

**If so, how can I identify what to spray into ?

Or, must the Carb truly come all the way off to get at these, presumably gunked up, ports ?

c. Should I also spray into the air cleaner intake (filter has been removed) ?

What is the small red tube sticking out of it ?
Should I (also) spray into it with the Sea Spray stuff ?

Anything else to spray with the solvent ?

Much thanks,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 21, 2018 at 12:29:49 PM UTC-4, Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for previous help with all of my questions.
Much appreciated.

I have a 10 year old Toro self propelled 22" GTS Lawn Mower. Tecumseh engine.

If I prime it, will run for about 5 seconds; than quits.
Each time the same.
Won't start again, unless re-primed as before.

Probably a gunked up Carb., would be my best guess.

Not too sharp with this kinda "stuff," so please bear with me.

a. I removed the bottom brass screw from the Carb. bowl, and cleaned out the
transvers holes, and also the axial one.

Question: on the top of the screw (the end away from the threads), in the center there
is a bright metallic "dot" or very small round metallic insert. Maybe 1/32 or so of dia.
What is this, please ? Seems to be in very firmly.

This is the end of the main jet adjustment screw, the end that is outside? Never saw anything like that.

b. I ordered a can of Sea Spray cleaner.

You can clean it when it's apart with carb cleaners, brake cleaner, etc all available at auto stores, Walmart, etc.

Really don't want to have to take the Carb off, if I can help it.

You can't clean it completely without taking it off. Also many carbs have welch plugs that cover passageways and you have to take them out to clean it.. They are one time use. There are carb rebuild kits on ebay that give you those, new gaskets, needle valve, etc

Can I get to most, or all, of the ports, etc. from the Carb bottom now that the bowl is off?

No. It's not hard to take the carb off, at least most carbs.

**If so, how can I identify what to spray into ?

Or, must the Carb truly come all the way off to get at these, presumably gunked up, ports ?

c. Should I also spray into the air cleaner intake (filter has been removed) ?

What is the small red tube sticking out of it ?

Idk

Should I (also) spray into it with the Sea Spray stuff ?

Anything else to spray with the solvent ?

Much thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 May 2018 09:29:44 -0700 (PDT), Robert11
wrote:

Anything else to spray with the solvent ?

I'd put everything back where it came from. Don't get into "taking
things apart until you've done the simple stuff. Did you check for a
dirty fuel filter? Doesn't sound like it.

Everything in place, remove the air filter. Spray the card throat with
Ether:

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/vav/602373/image/3/

Is has cylinder lube + the ether.

Tell the readers if your engine is even firing when trying to start.

fuel oxygen spark
--
"...she's fullo'****." Tekkie®
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 21, 2018 at 11:29:49 AM UTC-5, Robert11 wrote:
[...]

If it's a problem with the carburetor, you can do what I did 5 years ago when I could get around a lot easier and could work on my lawnmower. Cleaning the carb didn't help so I ordered a new carb from Amazon for less than $20..00. It was a lot easier and a lot less time to install a new carb than to screw around with the original. It was worth it to me. ^_^

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...+for+lawnmower

[8~{} Uncle Carb Monster