Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toro Lawnmower Carb Questions Re Cleaning Of ?

On Monday, May 21, 2018 at 11:29:49 AM UTC-5, Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for previous help with all of my questions.
Much appreciated.

I have a 10 year old Toro self propelled 22" GTS Lawn Mower. Tecumseh engine.

If I prime it, will run for about 5 seconds; than quits.
Each time the same.
Won't start again, unless re-primed as before.

Probably a gunked up Carb., would be my best guess.

Not too sharp with this kinda "stuff," so please bear with me.

a. I removed the bottom brass screw from the Carb. bowl, and cleaned out the
transvers holes, and also the axial one.

Question: on the top of the screw (the end away from the threads), in the center there
is a bright metallic "dot" or very small round metallic insert. Maybe 1/32 or so of dia.
What is this, please ? Seems to be in very firmly.

b. I ordered a can of Sea Spray cleaner.

Really don't want to have to take the Carb off, if I can help it.

Can I get to most, or all, of the ports, etc. from the Carb bottom now that the bowl is off ?

**If so, how can I identify what to spray into ?

Or, must the Carb truly come all the way off to get at these, presumably gunked up, ports ?

c. Should I also spray into the air cleaner intake (filter has been removed) ?

What is the small red tube sticking out of it ?
Should I (also) spray into it with the Sea Spray stuff ?

Anything else to spray with the solvent ?

Much thanks,
Bob

If it's a problem with the carburetor, you can do what I did 5 years ago when I could get around a lot easier and could work on my lawnmower. Cleaning the carb didn't help so I ordered a new carb from Amazon for less than $20..00. It was a lot easier and a lot less time to install a new carb than to screw around with the original. It was worth it to me. ^_^

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...+for+lawnmower

[8~{} Uncle Carb Monster