Posted to alt.home.repair

Default no electric, no water

A place where I go to meetings remodeled a little and bought what must
be the top of the line water fountain. Looks like this:

http://www.elkay.com/drinking-solutions

But it does not include the two girls.

Specifically, it looks like this, more than $900

http://www.restroomdirect.com/elkay-...AhfXEALw_wc B

But they have frequent power failures, beyond their control (and a
generator is not an option), and when the power is off, no water will
come out of the bubbler, or, I believe, the bottle filler, since that
seems to work only when the sensor detects a bottle.

It says " Non-pressurized water tank is located after bubbler valve, so
that tank is subject to line pressure only when Easy-Touch Control is
pressed."

Do you think there is any way to bypass the valve so the water works
even when the power is off, but doesn't make the water run all the time?

My feeling is that there is no way to do this, but I'm asking anyhow.

I haven't been able to find a wiring diagram. They knew about the
power failures before they bought it, but I guess it never occurred to
them that it wouldn't work then.

.... What's really a shame is that they sell this too:
M E C H A N I C A L L Y A C T I V A T E D
Bottle Filling Station with ADA Cooler
The ezH2O works alongside our mechanical cooler. Convenient hydration
with a mechanical cooler means water is always available. Self-closing,
mechanically-activated push bars on the front and sides operate even
during power disruptions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/20/2018 04:46 AM, micky wrote:
It says " Non-pressurized water tank is located after bubbler valve, so
that tank is subject to line pressure only when Easy-Touch Control is
pressed."

Do you think there is any way to bypass the valve so the water works
even when the power is off, but doesn't make the water run all the time?

Install a UPS on the water valve?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2018 4:46 AM, micky wrote:

But they have frequent power failures, beyond their control (and a
generator is not an option), and when the power is off, no water will
come out of the bubbler, or, I believe, the bottle filler, since that
seems to work only when the sensor detects a bottle.

It says " Non-pressurized water tank is located after bubbler valve, so
that tank is subject to line pressure only when Easy-Touch Control is
pressed."

Do you think there is any way to bypass the valve so the water works
even when the power is off, but doesn't make the water run all the time?

My feeling is that there is no way to do this, but I'm asking anyhow.

Depends on the water supply. If the water is town supplied and always
pressure, you can do it. If it is well water and the well pump stops,
nothing you do at the bubbler will matter.

Plug it into a UPS of the proper voltage if on town water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/18 4:46 AM, micky wrote:

[...]

How silly; what a waste of money. An $8 Home Depot angle spigot/handle
will work just fine.

Why do people insist on spending a lot of money to complicate their lives?

--
The fastest way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 9:23:26 AM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 5/20/18 4:46 AM, micky wrote:

[...]

Because it's more of a public place that accommodates lots of people,
as opposed to your house? I see drinking fountains in lots of places
like that, an angle spigot sticking out of the wall, not so much. And
it cools the water too. I can't stand tepid water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 20 May 2018 08:52:40 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

[...]

Yes, it's town water.

Good idea, you too.

To avoid running down the UPS, I'd like to isolate the valve from the
rest of the device (since the cooling part uses a lot of current). If
the valve were on DC current, I could use diodes to isolate the valve
from the rest of it. I wonder if I could rectify the AC that goes to
the valve now and run the valve on what?, 70???volts DC. Assuming
several people line up and drink for 3 to 5 minutes straight, is the
valve's electric winding going to overheat or anything?

Plus there is the feature for filling water bottles. That must be on a
separate valve.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Have you considered the potential liability issues when you start modifying
UL listed equipment that's used in what appears to be a public or at least
semi-public place? Apparently it's a brand new fountain. What happens
if it has a problem and they tell you the warranty is void because
you modified it? Is the need for a fountain that urgent during a power
outage? Plastic cups and the faucet or having some bottled water available
seems a workable alternative to me. Or the UPS suggestion, if you can turn
off the compressor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 5/20/2018 4:46 AM, micky wrote:

But they have frequent power failures, beyond their control (and a
generator is not an option), and when the power is off, no water will
come out of the bubbler, or, I believe, the bottle filler, since that
seems to work only when the sensor detects a bottle.

It says " Non-pressurized water tank is located after bubbler valve, so
that tank is subject to line pressure only when Easy-Touch Control is
pressed."

It's funny how this is represented as a feature. Are leaks common in
the tank because of line pressure? Is it bad to have a tank connected
to city water pressure all the time? My water heater is in that
situation and I didn't think the water pressure *caused* the eventual
leak. And I've seen water coolers all my life and don't remember ever
seeing one that was leaking. Sure, they turn off the water when that
happens, but I've almost never seen one where the water was off.

[...]

Semi-public. They get maybe 1000 people a week. More on some weeks.
but I doon't know how many are thirsty.

Good points.

They probably woouldn't let me do it anyhow, and I only go there about
once a year. (I think I was there a year ago, but I don't keep close
track. This was the first time I saw the new water cooler. But it's
just so annoying to me that they bought the wrong thing.

And I can see how easily it happened. The plumber or salesman didn't
know about the power outages and he thought this was a better cooler.
It's probably the one he uses all the time. The literature says that
one like this is their most popular, and there's an even more expensive
one

Apparently it's a brand new fountain. What happens
if it has a problem and they tell you the warranty is void because
you modified it? Is the need for a fountain that urgent during a power
outage?

It is for me. I'm one of the few people who will admit to drinking out
of a public bathroom sink. You don't even need a cup, just the palm of
your hand, but I hate to do that there.

Plastic cups and the faucet or having some bottled water available
seems a workable alternative to me.

They haven't done that. I don't know how long the cooler has been
there.

Or the UPS suggestion, if you can turn off the compressor.

Not without taking the thing apart.

I did say in the first post that I thought it couldn't be done. At
first I thought maybe I could do this in 5 minutes, but on the way home,
as I said, I thought it probably couldn't be done at all.